Some of my creations will be making use of Attenuator Field Projectors (a sort of energy shield), so I'd better get some stats worked out (so that I can get those stat cards done, like people want).
Attenuator Field Projector (based on the Gun statline):
WS x 3 CP; Range (WS x 3) + 3"; Damage WSd6*
* Damage is not dealt but rather deducted from attacks coming from outside the Projector's range. Discrete objects (including projectiles from a Launcher or CC weapons) can pass through the Attenuator Field freely.
I should note that, in the case of a combined attack from outside of an Attenuator Field, the Field's damage is only deducted once from the whole volley (not from each gun). Furthermore, the Attenuator Field Projector counts against the Weapon Size Limit.
EDIT: I'm brainstorming a few ways to take the power down a little bit. They are:
6. Change in tactics (make sure that armies include explosives or CC weapons to deal with enemy shields). I figure that this is a given, no matter what.
7. Raise cost. I'm not sure how, since a shield is only as valuable as the units it protects -- a Size 2 AFP protecting a 4 CP unarmed minifig isn't doing much good, but a Size 2 AFP protecting twenty rifle-packing commandos is very valuable indeed.
8. Overload (if an AFP takes three times as much damage as it has attenuated [I.e. a Size 1 AFP blocks 4 damage from a 12 damage attack], then it falls for 1d4 turns). I and Rev. Sylvanus like this idea the best for its simplicity and thematic fit. For a Size 1 AFP against two Size 1 Guns, this has about a 1/3 probability of happening, which feels about right (in accordance with my viewing of sci-fi TV shows). I'm going to run a few skirmishes to test this idea.
9. Make AFPs more like guns -- they have to be pointed in the right direction (only blocking a 90-degree cone in front of them), and are used as a Counter with UR WS+2. Fair but complicated.
10. Related to the above, when BW2010 is finished, I might be able to use the Blast Gun template, so a shield could be narrowed and intensified or broadened and weakened. Fair but more complicated and, for the moment, impossible. Stubby has also informed me that BW2010 will include Shield rules, though I'm not sure that his Shields serve the purpose I have in mind (and it seems that there are still kinks to be worked out).
So! Thoughts? Any situations that I left ambiguous?
Last edited by HAL-9001
on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Heuristic ALgorithmic AFOL.
T6281: Solar Federation (Rules T6588)
T6777: Dungan Swarm
T6783: Space Pirates
T7349: BrikWars Vehicle Datasheet
T7402: Imperium Constructor