Your favorite films.

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby stubby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Silverdream wrote:
stubby wrote: Also irredeemably pro-incest-pedophilia, not just in his writing but in life, if his response to (and rumored participation in) the Breendoggle are any indication.


Where can I read more about this?

Any book from the second half of his career, really. But for the Breen stuff you just have to Google it yourself. Every part of the story is ugly as hell, from the perpetrators to the victims to the apoligists and hangers-on.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Silverdream » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Jeez and crackers. I guess I don't like Heinlein anymore.
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6072
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Well, damn.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby StalinsFavoriteKhat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

AZKAMAT wrote:
Kommander Ken wrote:Can't believe no one's said The Lego Movie.  :son:


That one just goes without saying.

I've seen it too many times
Silverdream wrote:What I hate about the Starship Troopers movie fans are the ones who talk about it's "so deep satire you don't get it".

Yeah, having your characters dress up like SS nazis, really subtle.

Scythe described it best as it's a good film when you've had a few and there's nothing else on.

Isn't starship troopers that one movie were they kill giant bugs?
Also, what's wrong with SS uniforms?!?


(no, im not stupid. At least not that much)
If the Soviets can't build10,000 ofthat in a day, it's waaaay to complicated.
At least pretend you care. Thats what I do :warhead:

Spoiler: show
Some stuff you should look at
Come chat and stuff --> http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16603

My glorious faction -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16599[/size]

And then some other factions -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16638

Backstoryes,Chats,Stories,and other stuff -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16712

Brief semi-accurate history and Shiv politiks main thread -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16623

Text wall city of STFU history -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16688
User avatar
StalinsFavoriteKhat
Minifig
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Everywhere 'cept where I want to be

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby AZKAMAT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 pm

StalinsFavoriteKhat wrote:Also, what's wrong with SS uniforms?!?


Nothing in this context. The point I think Silver was making was that Verhoeven (troopers director) was really on the nose with satirizing the source material and wasn't very subtle.

Enough about Heinlein and pretentious Scandinavian directors. Who else saw the original Red Dawn? I saw it way back when I was like 8 on a long car ride and only remember it as a fun action ride.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image
User avatar
AZKAMAT
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: SC, USA.

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Silverdream » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm

AZKAMAT wrote:
StalinsFavoriteKhat wrote:Also, what's wrong with SS uniforms?!?


Nothing in this context. The point I think Silver was making was that Verhoeven (troopers director) was really on the nose with satirizing the source material and wasn't very subtle.


Exactly.

Verhoeven wanted people to notice that fascism was evil, and in case you couldn't tell by the propaganda segments or the cruelty shown to the soldiers, he dressed up Neil Patrick Harris and other guys up in SS uniforms as if to say "haha guess what, the main character? He's fighting for the nazis, it's an evil government don't you get it?" As if fascism=evil wasn't obvious to anyone who had learned what fascism was.
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6072
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby TheVengefulOne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm

I just saw Happy Death Day and I gotta say that it was probably the most fun movie I've seen since Fight Club. It's not that scary but it's fucking hilarious and has some brilliant plot twists. Anyone else seen it?
sahasrahla wrote:capitalism is just the worst

A Directory of All My Crap: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/
User avatar
TheVengefulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Listening to Metal \m/.

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby AZKAMAT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm

TheVengefulOne wrote:I just saw Happy Death Day and I gotta say that it was probably the most fun movie I've seen since Fight Club. It's not that scary but it's fucking hilarious and has some brilliant plot twists. Anyone else seen it?


That's surprising. I saw the online ads for it and thought "JUMPSCARE CANCER DETECTED!" But then, I thought Krampus looked like drek too and RLM gave it a resounding thumb-up and the ads for Rogue One made it looks like AIDS.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image
User avatar
AZKAMAT
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: SC, USA.

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby TheVengefulOne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 pm

AZKAMAT wrote:
TheVengefulOne wrote:I just saw Happy Death Day and I gotta say that it was probably the most fun movie I've seen since Fight Club. It's not that scary but it's fucking hilarious and has some brilliant plot twists. Anyone else seen it?


That's surprising. I saw the online ads for it and thought "JUMPSCARE CANCER DETECTED!" But then, I thought Krampus looked like drek too and RLM gave it a resounding thumb-up and the ads for Rogue One made it looks like AIDS.


The ads for Happy Death Day are total bullshit, they made it look like "Scream but it's PG-13 and panders to millenials" when in reality it's a funny but very well-done thriller with quite a few surprises in store. I would definitely recommend giving it a watch.
sahasrahla wrote:capitalism is just the worst

A Directory of All My Crap: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/
User avatar
TheVengefulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Listening to Metal \m/.

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby ninja_bait » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

The Princess Bride
User avatar
ninja_bait
Hero
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Duerer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Silverdream wrote:Verhoeven wanted people to notice that fascism was evil, and in case you couldn't tell by the propaganda segments or the cruelty shown to the soldiers, he dressed up Neil Patrick Harris and other guys up in SS uniforms as if to say "haha guess what, the main character? He's fighting for the nazis, it's an evil government don't you get it?" As if fascism=evil wasn't obvious to anyone who had learned what fascism was.


If you're on the fence about the uniform in Starship Troopers, check out the banners in Robocop 2 (bear in mind that Verhoeven wasn't involved in any sequels of his previous flicks, including Robocop 2):
Image

I really don't know what to think about Robocop 2. The first half was kinda upsetting with Murphy losing his humanity right at the beginning of the flick, after regaining it at the end of the first one. The second half was kinda cool though.
User avatar
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016
Forum Champion 2016
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Germany, NRW (aka Eye of Terror)

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Archduke » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 pm

10. Narnia Prince Caspian
9.Revenge of the Sith
8.Fellowship of the ring
7.Narnia 1
69.Clone Wars 2
5. Harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
4. The Two Towers
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2. Waterloo
1. Return of the King

I love massive Battles
Image
User avatar
Archduke
Minifig
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: The Grand Alliance

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby Tzan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Waterloo was very cool.
I'm surprised you've seen it.
User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
 
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby StalinsFavoriteKhat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

What war type movies do you guys recommend? I've seen The Longest Day, A bridge Too Far, and Battle of Britain. Im about 1/4 the way through The Great Escape.
I've also seen the TV version of The Patriot.
If the Soviets can't build10,000 ofthat in a day, it's waaaay to complicated.
At least pretend you care. Thats what I do :warhead:

Spoiler: show
Some stuff you should look at
Come chat and stuff --> http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16603

My glorious faction -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16599[/size]

And then some other factions -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16638

Backstoryes,Chats,Stories,and other stuff -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16712

Brief semi-accurate history and Shiv politiks main thread -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16623

Text wall city of STFU history -->http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16688
User avatar
StalinsFavoriteKhat
Minifig
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Everywhere 'cept where I want to be

Re: Your favorite films.

Postby motorhead fan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 pm

I recommend full metal jacket, Letters from Iwo Jima and Battle of the Bulge.

As a film, battle of the bulge is not very realistic, they use Chaffees to represent the King Tigers and there is also a desert in Belgium for some reason. But it is very entertaining, with lots of action and stuff.

I also have seen Waterloo many times and I really really like it.
User avatar
motorhead fan
Can the gun aim upwards? Because on mine, it keeps flopping down and it's a bit annoying.
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 am
Location: The hell known as Belgium

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest