Cosplay

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Cosplay

Postby Natalya » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 am

Back in high school then early in college I was big into the con scene and I would cosplay at anime conventions. The main character I did was Haruko from FLCL. I like sewed her red jacket-type thing with help from a friend, then I went so far as to make her trademark left-handed Rickenbacker 4003 (might be a 4001) midnight blue guitar out of 2x4's, plexiglass, sheet metal, and some other components. I had the white gogo-boots and everything. But time passes and you get older. I lost her cuff bracelet thing that I had painstakingly made and the red jacket is totally beat up. I've also moved away from the con scene, like last year was the tenth year in a row of me going to Dragon*Con, but the first in which I didn't buy a badge. Prospects for this year don't look much better.

I never like made an active decision to retire from cosplay, but I had stopped maintaining my outfit and I haven't pre-regged for a con in years. I always wanted to come back with a better version of Haruko, I kept telling myself that I'd dye my hair pink again and go all the way, but I never maintained the focus to do it. But now its con-season here in Atlanta again with AWA and D*Con right around the corner and I'm wondering that although my best Haruko cosplay was for Anime Expo 2007 when I was 19, do I maybe have it in me to try at it one last time? Or should I put down the guitar for good and move on to other things?

#gettingolder #weaboo
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Re: Cosplay

Postby Zahru II » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 am

Pics or didn't happen

I've only been to one anime-conesque thing ever, but I was complimented then for having a nice outfit.

I wore jeans and an Iron Maiden shit.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Natalya » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 am

We're talking 5 years ago. I don't have any left because of a hard-drive crash back in 2010.

inb4dropbox.jpg
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby mgb519 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 am

Flip a coin on it.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Ham701 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:15 pm

A 4003 IS NOT A GUITAR

IT IS A BASS

IT IS THE KING OF ALL BASSES
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor
Galidor

Postby jmatthew » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm

I say go for it. If you really had that much fun with it before, why not? Worst case scenario, you find out that you're not into it as much as you once were, but you probably still have fun and get that sweet feeling of satisfaction of knowing you have an awesome, hand-crafted costume that tons of people will compliment you on like Bonn-o-Tron.

The closest I ever came to anything similar was creating a Dr. Horrible costume a couple Halloweens ago. I sewed the coat together from some random thrift store lab coats and white shirts, painted the gun and the goggles, and found welding gloves very similar to his. I felt so happy with the final product. It just feels good to sport something you made yourself.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Natalya wrote:We're talking 5 years ago. I don't have any left because of a hard-drive crash back in 2010.

inb4dropbox.jpg

Don't you have pics of it on facebutt?

I love making sweet costumes, and I plan on using all my medical braces and external casts and shit to make my 2010 space pirate costume way the fuck cooler for this Halloween. Halloween is usually the only time I get to dress up, but renn faires also give the opportunity for my sweet peasant costume. I've cosplayed at comic-con as a post-apocalyptic raider, Captain Falcon, and a Vault Dweller, and to be honest, a con is my least favorite place to dress up.

Fuck cons, just throw a cosplay party with your friends. Get drunk and be Haruko.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I was thinking about making a Rorschach costume for Halloween last year.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I've thought of making a cosplay a few times, but I'd need to be 18 before I could make a Link or Ron Burgundy costume. But if you really like cosplays, go for it.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Xenoman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm

I really get into this kind of thing. It seems like every year, I'm building a new costume, as long as the funds are available. I'm currently making a Nemesis (Resident Evil) costume with boot lifts to bring my height up.
TROLOLO
Xenoman
Hero

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 am

samuelzz10 wrote:I'd need to be 18 before I could make a Link or Ron Burgundy costume.

Huh? What could you possibly need to be 18 for to get a suit and a fake mustache?
IVhorseman

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:01 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:I'd need to be 18 before I could make a Link or Ron Burgundy costume.

Huh? What could you possibly need to be 18 for to get a suit and a fake mustache?
I look like a dumbass trying to be Ron Burgundy when I'm only 14.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm

No, you look like Ron Burgundy. You already look like a dumbass 14-year-old.
IVhorseman

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm

IVhorseman wrote:No, you look like Ron Burgundy. You already look like a dumbass 14-year-old.

:ftw:
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Silverdream » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Zupponn wrote:I was thinking about making a Rorschach costume for Halloween last year.

They're very easy to make. I was Rorschach last year, and I bought most of the materials at value village.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Next

Return to General Discussion