So Disney bought Lucasfilm

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Re: So Disney bought Lucasfilm

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am

Zupponn wrote:If I remember correctly, Lucas based the story off a book called something like "10000 Heroes" where they discuss how almost every ancient story has a very similar process to which it plays out. The Rise and Fall and then the Redemption. It also suggests that the story of Jesus was derived from an accumulation of many different stories, taking the best parts from each.

That would be Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" which was part of his work on the Hero's Journey.

Natalya wrote:The nature of archetypical stories, especially the hero's journey, confuses me a bit. If that archetype is SO compelling (and it is) how can there be any OC ever if it won't be as compelling as the hero's journey? I am aware that there are other archetypes, but like all super successful movie franchises are heroic journey stories. Star Wars, the Matrix, Harry Potter, Terminator, Alien, every disney movie that had a boy for the main character, LotR, etc...

Sorry if I am over-simplifying, but it makes me wonder about other possible life narratives we can view ourselves through, and there is the problem of the end of the journey; what happens next? Is the rest of their lives spent in obscurity?

Well you have to remember that the Hero's Journey is by definition cyclical in nature; the hero leaves the familar, enters the unknown, and then returns to the familar to start the cycle all over again.

It's just like life in that regard; you are constantly pushed outside your comfort zone, learn to adapt, and then are back where you feel comfortable.
That's probably why the Journey is so universally recognizable... but it's certainly not the end-all-be-all.

Look at Doctor Who for instance.
Certainly there are elements of this cycle in the companions' individual stories, but they're not the main focus...
Instead the narrative revolves around their Supernatural Aid, The Doctor himself, and what life is like for such an entity.

Back on topic, I don't personally think Disney will damage the franchise, at least not any more then the Prequel Trilogy anyways...

That said, I'd rather they avoided anything immediately following the original movies, just to avoid overstretching the narrative like Episodes One through Three did.
Let's face it, those movies just weren't going to be as good as the Centerpiece Trilogy, both because:
A. We know for a fact that it's not going to end well.
and B. The Villain's Start of Darkness just isn't as compelling of a story as the Hero's Journey, especially if we've already SEEN his redemption before hand.

Since what I know of the Post-Emperor Expanded Universe also contains a bit of both, I think it'd be best to avoid that era... even if they might have done it better...
...Plus, the Original cast is getting on in years.

Still, if the Star Wars EU has taught us anything, it's that there is a BIG FUCKING GALAXY to play with here, so they've got plenty of space and time to work with while giving the Lucas Centerpiece a wide berth.
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Previous

Return to General Discussion