Japanese Cartoons

Weaboo うんこ is over. Now it's all magical girls all the time

Moderators: Natalya, Colette, Silverdream, Insert_blank

Re: Anime

Postby Kalvinator » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:44 pm

mgb519 wrote:If you don't like one of the two, watch the other. If you love the first one you watch, don't touch the other one. Just my advice.

Why so, my friends say that after I watch the 2003 I should watch Brotherhood.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby Silverdream » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 pm

It really depends. Some people do like both (my brother for instance), some people prefer the first one and some people like Brotherhood the best.

I would reccomend that you have a small waiting period before watching brotherhood so that you're not comparing the second too heavily with the first.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Colette » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Finished 1.11 and 2.22.

Zeruel tits has been forgiven, and then some.

Will probably post a better response later.
Spoiler: show

Because everything's better with math.
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Postby Zahru II » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Finished 'The Irresponsible Captain Tylor'; the ending was weak and hard to understand but overall I had a lot fun watching that show!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby mgb519 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Some number of generally good anime have weak endings. Last Exile, for instance.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
My Little Pony

Postby Silverdream » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Anyways I've watched a lot of stuff that I haven't talked about.

Steins;Gate, A little slow at first but really good. To sum it up, it's basically a science fiction slice of life conspiracy anime with compelling characters and an interesting view on time travel.

Junjou Romantica, It was okay. I haven't watched a lot of Yaoi, but this was basically an average romance with dudes. It had it's moments but other than that I thought it was dissapointing.

School Days, worth watching.

Welcome to the NHK, a really well done show. It was funny, sad and explored psychological problems really well. The soundtrack was also really good.

Good Song Example 1
Good Song Example 2

Inferno Cop, best anime of the millenium.

I also watched 28 episodes of One Piece before dropping it. I'm probably going to keep watching it because it'll be really impressive if I do.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Silverdream » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Okay, I just watched episode 24 during my rewatch of NGE and I have to say that Shinji and Kaworu's relationship isn't very ambiguous. Kaworu has pretty strong feelings towards Shinji, while Shinji is somewhat attracted to Kaworu.

Evidence:
First clue is that Kaworu asks to shower with Shinji so that he can get to know him better. Then there's this exchange:

http://i.imgur.com/ppaMTQk.png
Shinji: Yeah I have to go to bed.
http://i.imgur.com/ZDrh8Hj.png
Kaworu: With me?

Kaworu actually says that he loves Shinji:
http://i.imgur.com/QF0NO7D.png

He also attempts to hold his hand in the bath:
http://i.imgur.com/FW8ZBDn.png

And he says shit like this:
http://i.imgur.com/qu7TU5C.png

And Shinji is constantly blushing every other time Kaworu says something.
http://i.imgur.com/CoVuODd.png

Shinji also kisses Asuka once awkwardly after she asks him, and he does that thing in EoE but there's never really that romantic air around those two. As for Rei, her relationship with Shinji is pretty obvious in Rebuild 2.22.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Vami IV » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Currently watching Gosick with sister, (Neko_IV).

She started Deadman Wonderland just an hour ago.
Last edited by Vami IV on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Postby mgb519 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Tell her she should just save herself the effort and read the manga. The anime stops like halfway through.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
My Little Pony

Postby Colette » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:35 am

Silverdream, shipping is stupid. It is especially stupid in NGE, Shinji is destined to be with his right hand to the very end.

Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Postby Silverdream » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 am

Is it still shipping when the ship is canon?
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Colette » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:17 am

Silverdream wrote:Is it still shipping when the ship is canon?

I don't even begin to claim that the Shinji/Rei pairing is plausible. Pick whichever one you want, but once you start getting pretentious enough to declare it better than others, or worse claim "canonicity", you've crossed a line. Unlike in the case of Gendo/Yui, neither the creator nor the work have commented on Shinji's relationships except with regards to their abortive nature. In fact, that Shinji is unable to form functional relationships with others, much less a romantic one, is a central foundational theme of the work. Kaworu could just as easily be interpreted as a very kind-hearted, if somewhat creepy, friend, so romantic intentions are clear non-unambiguous. Furthermore, the creepiness is justified if we consider that Kaworu
is an Angel
who likely had little previous social interaction with others or understanding of human social mores. Even proposed pairings with Asuka, Rei, and Misato which still fail canonicity have more explicit evidence than this (Asuka's and Misato's kisses, Toji's comment to Rei and her Armisael mind-rape, etc.). Overall, I've always perceived of Kaworu as an inspiring (at least until the end of the episode) example of a good friend supporting a depressed comrade in need, and seeing it as a gay pairing ruins that on multiple levels.

On the other hand, I can't speak to Rebuild 3.0, so this argument only applies to the original series.

Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Postby Vami IV » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Anyone watched Mirai Nikki?
Last edited by Vami IV on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vami IV

Postby Silverdream » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:47 pm

Colette wrote:
Silverdream wrote:Is it still shipping when the ship is canon?

I don't even begin to claim that the Shinji/Rei pairing is plausible. Pick whichever one you want, but once you start getting pretentious enough to declare it better than others, or worse claim "canonicity", you've crossed a line. Unlike in the case of Gendo/Yui, neither the creator nor the work have commented on Shinji's relationships except with regards to their abortive nature. In fact, that Shinji is unable to form functional relationships with others, much less a romantic one, is a central foundational theme of the work. Kaworu could just as easily be interpreted as a very kind-hearted, if somewhat creepy, friend, so romantic intentions are clear non-unambiguous. Furthermore, the creepiness is justified if we consider that Kaworu
is an Angel
who likely had little previous social interaction with others or understanding of human social mores. Even proposed pairings with Asuka, Rei, and Misato which still fail canonicity have more explicit evidence than this (Asuka's and Misato's kisses, Toji's comment to Rei and her Armisael mind-rape, etc.). Overall, I've always perceived of Kaworu as an inspiring (at least until the end of the episode) example of a good friend supporting a depressed comrade in need, and seeing it as a gay pairing ruins that on multiple levels.

On the other hand, I can't speak to Rebuild 3.0, so this argument only applies to the original series.

Good point about Rei, but I would argue that it was because

of her maternal instinct since Yui also wanted to become one with her son.

Kaworu literally says I love you, holds his hand and flirts with him. Asuka asks him for a kiss out of boredom, which Shinji reluctantly agrees to.
Asuka also later hates Shinji, which makes their relationship much more complicated.

As for Misato,
I think she was just desperate to get him in the Evangelion. Otherwise she's a pedophile.

Kaworu does work as a friend, but I would say that he definitely loves Shinji more than that. I think Shinji may be confused about his feelings with Kaworu, but he also feels comfortable enough to confess his personal secrets to. For an introvert who keeps a lot of his emotions bottled up, it speaks a lot that he's willing to do that within a day of meeting him.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Vami IV » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 am

Vami IV wrote:Anyone watched Mirai Nikki?
Last edited by Vami IV on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vami IV

PreviousNext

Return to Magical Girls