Japanese Cartoons

Weaboo うんこ is over. Now it's all magical girls all the time

Moderators: Natalya, Colette, Silverdream, Insert_blank

Re: Weaboo thread

Postby Silverdream » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:53 am

Aldnoah Episode 10

Spoiler: show
I'm enjoying this, although it's probably the worst Urobuchi show I've seen. I'd rank them Shinji>Fate/Zero>Psycho-Pass. Part of me can't take this show seriously because Inaho is so great at anything he does, while also acting like he has Ass Burger's or autism.

There were a few really ridiculous moments this episode. CPR is bullshit in most TV shows and movies, and I don't think it's still being used in real life, so I have a big suspension of belief for that trope. It's the same with people being knocked out without getting a concussion or brain damage. The first thing was that those towels were somehow able to stay on. It would be weird to watch a naked girl shooting another naked girl, and I'm glad they didn't go with that, but in real life those towels would be off easily. The second thing was that no one shot Rayet. There was a moment when she shot three times around Asseylum, I would have thought that one of the guards would shoot her in the back.

Also, why does Inaho want Rayet on his team? She's been a somewhat effective soldier, and she can pilot a kataphrakt well, but she's an emotional wreck and almost killed the entire crew. It's possible that Inaho is just shooting for the harem ending, or maybe he's said the words that magically fix her emotional problems and unlock her full potential. He should've gotten Slaine when he had the chance. At the very least, Slaine has information about the Versians.

The other thing that bothered me is that Saazbum shot Slaine out of his handcuffs. He had to risk killing or injuring Slaine instead of just unlocking them.

As for the base perfectly fitting the battleship, I originally had no problem with that. I imagined that it was a nuclear silo, before realizing afterwards that it's huge for a nuclear silo.

Honestly though, I don't have too big complaints about these characters. Despite being a Mary Sue, Inaho seems unique enough as a protagonist. I honestly think he's autistic who's also self aware enough to play jokes on his friends, or put them in awkward situations. I also think Marito is the most interesting character in the show, and I hope he gets more screen time next episode. Saazbum's motivations are unclear, but there's still a lot of time for his character to be developed. I think I kind of understand. I'm speculating that he wants to win the war on earth for the Versians that he rules over and kill the Royal family through several future plots, but that doesn't really explain why he's allowing Slaine to fight with him, as Slaine will do all he can to save the Princess.

Also, one thing to add to the "this show is Gundam" discussion. Many of Urobuchi's works are derivative of several different works in their respective genre or medium. For example, Psycho-Pass is inspired, or appears to be inspired by 1984, Judge Dredd, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Neuromancer, and several other classic Dystopian Science Fiction novels. I've also heard that Shinji's characters all fit into common magical girl tropes, but I haven't watched any other Magical Girl shows, so I could be wrong.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Zahru II » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:45 am

Insert_blank wrote:That's true. But for some reason I really enjoyed Double, even though the plot was not great.

Honestly, dubs would have been pretty solid if not for the
writer's chickening out last episode and putting Philip back; and some hiccups here and there (ugh, "Heaven's Tornado")

I really liked the movie special that was focusing on Accel only, ever seen that Insert? It's so rad!  
Also given the current thread title, I think toku talk is perfectly fine.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Insert_blank » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:41 am

@silva: Yeah man I didn't mean he was ripping off. Shinji is such a standard magical girl show until he starts ripping all the tropes apart. I assume the same thing is gonna happen here. So far nothing out of the ordinary has happened so I'm just waiting for him to start breaking tropes (although there doesn't seem to be a main super powered suit yet which is pretty cool).

@zahru: oh man yes! I love Accel. I also really enjoyed the Eternal movies. I was expecting him to come back since it's a kid's show so it didn't bother me too much. The only belt I own is the Double Driver (I kind of wanted Accel's but it's way to expensive on the 2nd hand market).
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 am

insert_blank wrote:@silva: Yeah man I didn't mean he was ripping off. Shinji is such a standard magical girl show until he starts ripping all the tropes apart. I assume the same thing is gonna happen here. So far nothing out of the ordinary has happened so I'm just waiting for him to start breaking tropes (although there doesn't seem to be a main super powered suit yet which is pretty cool).

That's my main problem though.  We're ten episodes in.  Ten episodes into Psycho-pass, we were in the middle of an exploration of the darkest parts of the human psyche.  Ten episodes into Shinji, we'd just hit that awesome plot twist (and things had been getting progressively darker for several episodes).  We're ten episodes into Aldnoah.Zero and... it still seems like Gundam.  Only a bare handful of characters have died, and every event that could have led to a major twist has resolved itself an episode later.

And yeah, Inaho really does seem like a Mary Sue to me.  The problem isn't how smart he is, it's that his plans almost always work and when he does fuck up (shooting down Slaine for no logical reason, lying to Captain Magbaredge about the fact that Asseylum was aboard their ship, giving a LOADED GUN to a homicidal assassin so he can punctuate a motivational speech) the consequences are always mild.
Also, I'm sorry, the giant docking port that wouldn't be useful for anything except a flying battleship really does bother me, especially since Urobichi is usually so good about worldbuilding.  The fact that a military with one (uber-classified, non-functional) flying battleship has built a dock for its flying battleship is the sort of thing that you'd think a supergenius like Inaho would find suspicious.  Hell, you'd think it's the sort of thing that most of the crew would find suspicious - but it's not even talked about.
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: Hatoful Boyfriend

Postby Battlegrinder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:I know you're probably joking but I'm really tired of hearing every day how wacky and crazy japan is. Yeah I know some weird shit happens there and I wont deny they have more crazy shit happening than anywhere else I know but it seems we only like to focus on the crazy shit that comes out of japan. Maybe try going there or making some japanese friends through any message board and you'll see what I mean.

I'm fully aware that Japan is not quite as crazy as it seems, but you have to admit that when things there do get crazy (or at least appear to be crazy from a western mindset), they get really crazy. Because of that, there's this weird Poe's Law effect that crops up whenever people bring up stuff from Japan. For example, I can buy that Hateful Boyfriend might be a commentary on the whole dating game genre (and if had been produced by a western developer, I'd probably assume it was), but since it's from Japan, I can't rule out the possibility that it's just another example of the wacky stuff that Japan will occasionally produce.

Incidental, this is related to the main reason I've never really gotten into anime, because while I generally like the art style, the fact that the plots frequently veer off into cuckooland or something similar makes me not want to get involved, and while I know that all anime doesn't do that, enough of it does that I don't want to waste time sorting through it.
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Insert_blank » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:42 am

So again I'm not sure if Gen is good with pacing. A 12 episode show like Shinji is pretty easy to do. If Zero is going to be 52 episodes then you "can't"  give it all away in the first 5th of the story. It's hard to be a one trick penis after you get famous for it, much like Shyamalan who is having trouble now trying to get people to look past his "what a twist!" endings (The Happening was okay but boring, Lady in the Water was a hilarious middle finger to everyone). If you're going to be the Deconstruction Guy you probably should keep it short and sweet. Shinji is good for what it doesn't say as much as it says about magical girl. Who wasn't pumped in Rebellion to see all 5 fighting together like they would have in any other MG show?
If I were in charge of Zero I'd go with my "big twist" or whatever right at the beginning and not mess around with the same old formula. But I guess the problem with most deconstructionist stuff is it's one of those ideas you have over drinks one night and can't really go too far with it. "Wouldn't it be funny if there were a gundam show but there wasn't a gundam and all the people used GMs instead and the bad guys had all the cool tech?" "Uh yeah but what would happen next?" "Umm... I dunno, yeah never mind."

For my money Revolutionary Girl Utena is my top deconstruction show. It's billed as a post-modern fairy tale and it parodies hardcore on shoujo tropes (especially taking off Rose of Versailles which is a Gundam contemporary that all the Japanese housewives I've met love as much as their husbands love original Gundam) to the point that people didn't realize it was a parody and ended up not watching the show.

@zahru oh man I am hype for Gaim now. Banana is finally taking what's his. I've pretty much been rooting him on the whole time and after pissing about for half the show he's pretty cool again.
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Silverdream » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Aldnoah Zero Spoilers:

Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:13 pm

What?  I know what scene it's referring to but I don't get the joke.

It looks like the OST is getting out onto the net.  Keep an eye out for youtube links, some of this would make great fabletop music.  

UPDATE:
That song from Episode 7 when Slaine and Inaho fight the Hellas.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:55 pm

The joke is that Slaine's life sucks, and that Inaho's getting his girl.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:15 pm

FUCKING HELL, youtube already took all the songs down.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: Homura confirmed Best Girl

Postby Colette » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 pm

This thread makes me vaguely sad.

Because everything's better with math.
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: Homura confirmed Best Girl

Postby Silverdream » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Colette wrote:This thread makes me vaguely sad.

I blame silentsigfig.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Sickos that watch girls get decapitated

Postby Vami IV » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 am

This thread makes me sad (as a weeaboo. Thanks,  Hetalia).

Silent makes me more sad. Wonder what he watches...
Probably puppies dying. :(
Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Postby Zahru II » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:04 am

He watches GI Joe on a constant loop because 'MERICA
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby loafofcheese » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:11 am

Zahru II wrote:He watches GI Joe on a constant loop because 'MERICA

That and hulk hogan riding utahraptors while shooting baseballs from a minigun at russian muslim terrorcommies.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

PreviousNext

Return to Magical Girls