Japanese Cartoons

Weaboo うんこ is over. Now it's all magical girls all the time

Moderators: Natalya, Colette, Silverdream, Insert_blank

Re: Sickos that watch girls get decapitated

Postby Zahru II » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Wasn't Diebuster before GL? I reckon it had more to do with the team just finishing FLCL.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Silverdream » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Personally, I think Gurren Lagann is a better show than Gunbuster, not just because I enjoyed it more. Although Time Dilation was a really cool concept, and I hope that other stories use it. Also, I don't really understand how Gurren Lagann is based on Gunbuster, other than the fact that they both have dramatic scenes in space.

Anyways, I highly prefer Attack on Titan to Sword Art Online, but I guess SAO is just supposed to be dumb fun.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Zahru II » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:10 pm

It's not really based, but gives some pretty solid nods to it (Super-Galaxy emerging for the first time alludes GB, per say).
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Tzan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I like both SAO and AoT equally.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Silverdream wrote:Also, I don't really understand how Gurren Lagann is based on Gunbuster, other than the fact that they both have dramatic scenes in space.

Maybe not, but if you compare TTGL to Diebuster, the similarities are pretty obvious.

Silverdream wrote:Although Time Dilation was a really cool concept, and I hope that other stories use it.

Did you ever read The Forever War?
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Insert_blank » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:17 am

Whoops my bad on that one, messed the years up. By based on I just meant in regards to the boob animations that made Gainax famous in the first place.
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Silverdream » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Well, I finished Ergo Proxy.

Spoiler: show
I'm not sure if I really liked this anime. There was a point where things were just really confusing and made no sense, and there were points where the parts that made no sense were entertaining. I'm not too fond of some episodes, like the one where Vincent is just on of Re-l Mayor's alternate personalities, and I'm not sure that they really add much to the meaning of the show or the plot. I think this show is like Darker than Black in that it needs to be rewatched to be totally appreciated.

Also, I found the ending oddly satisfying. It answered my main questions, and it was as good as the ending could probably get for a show like this.

Raul or Iggy is best guy and Pino or Re-l is best girl.

I'd give it a 7-8 out of ten.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Insert_blank » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:17 pm

I hated that her name was Real but the dub missed that. レール has the dash there to denote an elongated vowel which is the same as an ea sound. Yeah I didn't bother to watch the last few eps after
Raul died

Still better than Kino's Journey. I think most Japanese "philosophical" shows remind me of being in college with that one guy who really liked dropping names of philosophers but couldn't actually say anything beyond that. There's usually no substance to what they're trying to do/say, it's just "here's an idea, isn't that interesting?"

Finally I'm very Western in my ideas of story telling and I just want to follow Aristotle "Art is to teach and delight."

TL;DR Sophie's World is best anime.
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Silverdream » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 pm

If that's where you dropped it, you missed one episode.
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Anime

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 am

Yeah that sounds about right. Really didn't care what was going on.

@Zahru let's have some KR real talk. Fave series, fave rider, series watched.

I've seen Kuuga, Kiva, W, Fourze, and what's aired of Gaim. Started Original and Black also (watching 1 ep a day). I guess the best series for me is W only because the designs were so well done and 3/4 of the show were really strong. MY fave rider is probably Accel or Meteor. I liked Saga but he was under utilized.

I dunno what language you watch subs in but English has kind of weird gaps in the subs unless you're into Phillipino English as a second Japanese as a 3rd language subs, which I'm basically not.
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Zahru II » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 am

Sure!

I've been following every rider series since Decade, except for Wizard - it just didn't interest me at the time and I can't be bothered to go back at it. From previous series I checked ZO (amazing one off entry with fantastic SFX), the ZX special movie (it's campy showa fun) and I started Blade but dropped it after 18-ish episodes.

I think my fave series so far has been Fourze - it was just a big funride all the way through. I also enjoyed W (who doesn't? it's probably the most entry level of recent series) a lot, OOO had cool suit designs but I kind of forgot most of it.

I watch the series subbed - I generally prefer Over-Time works over TV-Nihon (though I watched Decade and W with their subs because not knowing better at the time; looking back they are pretty awful weebs and that interferes with their TL work (keeping in foreignisms with close captioned explanations, yuck). I know some shows have been dubbed for the Philippines (Kabuto was airing on Cartoon Network over there). There is no fansubbing community locally.

BTW the new name for the topic is hella boring.
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 am

Okay yeah I'm a giant OT fan as well. I'm getting really excited for Drive now because it looks like the people who made W are making Drive AND the OT team that subbed W and subbing Drive. Match made in heaven! Also the DriverDriver is the best name ever.

I motion to change the topic to karate bugmen.
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Postby Vami IV » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:49 am

Taken from a derelict Ask [Insert name of fictitious character] page. This one from the "Ask Shinji Ikari" page.
Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Aldnoah episode 12:

Well, the Urobutcher grew a pair after all.
I liked Inaho a lot more after his speech at the beginning of this episode.  I feel like I sort of get why his character is there.  That said, I also like Saazebaum a whole lot less because his motivations now make, like, negative sense.  "I hate Terrans!  But I'm going to eliminate the cycle of hatred between Martians and Terrans!  By... killing all Terrans and one of the only Martians who doesn't hate Terrans!  Oh well... at least I have a badass robot to do it with."  
I like the fact that the Dioscuria had all of the previous Martian Kataphrakts' abilities, but I wonder why Inaho, despite supposedly being a supremely logical genre-savvy mecha pilot, didn't just SHOOT IT DURING ITS LONG-ASS COMBINATION SEQUENCE.  You can't claim to be deconstructing mecha shows if you play that trope so completely straight.  I also wish there had been more time devoted to breaking through its various technological defenses - when I saw the barrier and swords I was really excited for the upcoming fight, but Inaho took them out really quickly and then just had a robot fistfight with Saazebaum.  

And finally, the big Urobutcher moment.  I have to say, as glad as I am to see it happen, there were a lot of times I didn't get the characters' motivations.  Maybe I'll get it after watching it a couple more times but right now it's all just a big jumbled mess.  Saazebaum shoots Asseylum - sure, it doesn't make sense, but at least it's consistent for him.  Slaine points a gun at Inaho when he crawls over to Asseylum... why?  Is it just jealousy that Inaho was about to perform first aid (which, to be fair, appears to be the main form of romantic interaction in this universe) on his Shinji?  Come to think of it, a lot of things Slaine did in this episode don't make sense.  He seems to be collaborating with Saazebaum for most of this episode despite the fact that he's been obsessed with defending the Princess for the past 11 episodes.  If he changed his mind at some point, I sure didn't see it.  And then Inaho points a gun at Slaine... why?  Is it because he's not as emotionless as he thinks he is?  He seemed willing to risk getting shot before, when he was talking to Rayet.
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

PreviousNext

Return to Magical Girls