Braggalot and Stubby's zany debate thread

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Braggalot and Stubby's zany debate thread

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri May 02, 2014 7:18 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:1: Outside the context of Starwars, this movie isn't all that bad, but when you put it next to all the other Starwars films and add the fact Jar-Jar is in the film it makes it worse, but as a standalone picture it isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

I completely disagree. I'm not one of those people with a super hard on for Star Wars nostalgia. The Original Star Wars Trilogy is not the measuring stick against which everything else is compared, including the new ones. The point stands for 2 and 3, which aren't completely awful but the only redeeming factor of Phantom was the Duel of Fates.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Re: Star Wars VII

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:There's a great version of episode 1 where they only made two changes but makes the whole movie awesome:

1. Anakin barely speaks and many of his scenes are cut
2. Jar-jar, the nemodians, the battle droids and basically everyone associated with the trade federation had their voices replaced with alien languages, which is then subtitled so that they say much more impactful shit. Jar-jar becomes a foul-mouthed hardened criminal and the trade federation dudes talk about all the guys they executed etc., without any of that "roger roger" or "meesa so horny" shit.

That sounds very interesting, do you remember what the name of that recut is?
I think its called the phantom edit
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Insert_blank » Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 am

What are the chances of Aurra Sing, Asajj Ventress, and Darth Maul coming back as villains? All are still alive and well according to Clone Wars. Also we could see Cad Bane showing up as well as Ahsoka Tano and Quinlan Vos. Anyone else really enjoy the Clone Wars show or is it just me?
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby Tzan » Sat May 03, 2014 10:05 am

Insert_blank wrote: Anyone else really enjoy the Clone Wars show or is it just me?

Its not just you. :D
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Brikguy0410 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:39 pm

That was my favorite tv show, but you remember admiral trench, right? The spider guy? I thought he was pretty cool
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Bragallot » Sun May 04, 2014 9:31 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I completely disagree. I'm not one of those people with a super hard on for Star Wars nostalgia. The Original Star Wars Trilogy is not the measuring stick against which everything else is compared, including the new ones. The point stands for 2 and 3, which aren't completely awful but the only redeeming factor of Phantom was the Duel of Fates.

Imo it's the part on Tatooine that kills it, I don't mind the rest. Had that been replaced with a whole, say, Darth Maul trying to capture / kill Anakin plotline it would've served to introduce Anakin as something special (he could've like, instinctively dodged Maul's lightsabre or something) without the whole 'little kid goes racing' storyline. It also wouldn't have been so painfully long. The time spent on Tatooine feels like a separate movie, and it really feels like it takes more than an hour.

How on earth the droidekas disappeared from the Neimodean's palace or how Padme and her guards even got past them is unclear to me too.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun May 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Bragallot wrote:Imo it's the part on Tatooine that kills it, I don't mind the rest. Had that been replaced with a whole, say, Darth Maul trying to capture / kill Anakin plotline it would've served to introduce Anakin as something special (he could've like, instinctively dodged Maul's lightsabre or something) without the whole 'little kid goes racing' storyline. It also wouldn't have been so painfully long. The time spent on Tatooine feels like a separate movie, and it really feels like it takes more than an hour.

How on earth the droidekas disappeared from the Neimodean's palace or how Padme and her guards even got past them is unclear to me too.

Pretty much. I also disliked Jarjar smashing into Qui-Gon and conveniently deciding to owe him, thus deciding to lead him to a convenient centralized city where it's kind of no big deal that he's banished because he's just a goofy douchebag and not a real criminal or anything and where they can conveniently form an alliance without which there would be no way for the plot to "move forward." Felt a little forced is what I'm getting at. I also disliked the way Gungans were portrayed in general. EU calls them a badass warrior race. I kind of got, clumsy fuckers filled with force luck. And while I actually really liked their weaponry, I found it a little odd that, as a culture it seems, they conveniently only really developed weaponry specifically designed to take out droids. Maybe there was a droid uprising at some point? Or maybe they developed that way because it's in their religious texts, also known as the script.

But, you know, I don't have a complete and utter revulsion for Jarface. That distinct honor belongs to that dumb little fuck Anakin. Badass kids are hard to do right, especially when you're trying to make the franchise kid friendly. But it is doable. It just wasn't done here. He was more annoying and grating to me than I can possibly say.

Aside from all of that, I suppose I hated the whole movie thanks to the wooden, canned acting, the lazy plotline, the condescension of a creator who thinks we aren't smart enough to get it, the intense racist subtexts, the lack of internal consistency, Fucking Tatooine (the center of the Official Star Wars Universe), and the nostalgia boner and subsequent over exaggeration and utter lack of subtlety when it came to embracing original themes and ideas.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Insert_blank » Sun May 04, 2014 5:51 pm

But isn't Anakin supposed to be irritating? I thought that was the whole point.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 am

A person might think so.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby IVhorseman » Mon May 05, 2014 8:06 pm

stubby wrote:The Black Numenoreans

Ahahahahahaha
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Concerns about racism

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 pm

This reminds me of something, remember that Lego SW. Rancor pit set that got pulled off the shelves because of the gorrmedan guards( the green pigs that guard Jabbas palace) or something?
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Re: Concerns about racism

Postby stubby » Mon May 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:This reminds me of something, remember that Lego SW. Rancor pit set that got pulled off the shelves because of the gorrmedan guards( the green pigs that guard Jabbas palace) or something?

Nope. There was a protest from some kid who thought Jabba's Palace resembled the Hagia Sophia, one of the most iconic pieces of architecture in Turkey (or the world, for that matter). Which... I mean the set was based on the movie location, so it looked as much like the Hagia Sophia as the movie location did, which is to say a little bit but not really very much.

Anyway it got picked up by a Turkish activist group in Austria and they turned it into a bigger protest, but it hit the news right around the time the set had already had its full run anyway, and production had already stopped.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Tzan » Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Star Wars VII

The Emperor had a few good ideas.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby The Shadowscythe » Tue May 06, 2014 2:09 am

Oh gods I needed this laugh this morning.

I also hereby request a new word filter.

Explain = Mansplain
Explaining = Mansplaining
Explanation = Mansplanation
Explained = Mansplained

And so on like Bonn-o-Tron.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Apollyon » Tue May 06, 2014 3:21 am

stubby wrote:But in 1980 it was only for the super dedicated few.

How old are you exactly? I always thought you were considerably younger than me. In 1980 i would not have been able to read Tengwar or anything else for the life of me...
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
constantly striving to using proper grammar

Next

Return to General Discussion