Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby bluebright » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:41 pm

Image

When I spoke to Alex from the Mad Adventures Society about Brikwars he said "what's Brikwars? I've never heard of it."

Now of course we can't have that so I appeared on their podcast Delve to talk about what the heck Brikwars is and why it's such a fun game.

Let me know what you think of the episode!
User avatar
bluebright
Officer
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Austraila

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:35 am

I appreciate that you tried to make it seem so fun.  The best thing that you said was that you try to have the most fun even if you're losing.

I...feel like the guys running the podcast were distinctly unprepared for the subject matter, though.  Not just BW, but wargames in general.  I'm not mad, though, I've recently become acquainted with speaking unprepared on a public podcast.  It's cringeworthy but I get it.

But whatever, you did a fairly good job at presenting the idea of the game to the uninitiated.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm

"The people that enjoy wargaming but also enjoy having a good time" - wow, there's a tiny niche! There have already been at least a couple of games named Brickhammer though.

The pacing conversation is what really jumped out at me, since it's been something I've been thinking about lately. The game kanon already has some strong fluff about minifigs needing to maintain Humans' attention in order to continue existing; I wonder if we could find a funny way to introduce a boredom roll each round to see if it's time to end the game and cut to the Kanon ending.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby Tzan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:47 pm

If people are energized enough to make a boredom roll, the game continues.
If nobody can be bothered to roll the game ends.

1d6 roll:
0 - game ends
1-6 - game continues

:D
User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby RedRover » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Tzan wrote:If people are energized enough to make a boredom roll, the game continues.
If nobody can be bothered to roll the game ends.

1d6 roll:
0 - game ends
1-6 - game continues

:D


7 - sell all you possessions and become a recluse who practices witchcraft
User avatar
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Desert

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby bluebright » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I appreciate that you tried to make it seem so fun.  The best thing that you said was that you try to have the most fun even if you're losing.

I...feel like the guys running the podcast were distinctly unprepared for the subject matter, though.  Not just BW, but wargames in general.  I'm not mad, though, I've recently become acquainted with speaking unprepared on a public podcast.  It's cringeworthy but I get it.

But whatever, you did a fairly good job at presenting the idea of the game to the uninitiated.


They did have about a month to prepare and I sent them all the links to the website but I guess they wanted me to explain it? Ah I dunno...and yeah understand the cringeworthy-ness too :shock:

stubby wrote:"The people that enjoy wargaming but also enjoy having a good time" - wow, there's a tiny niche! There have already been at least a couple of games named Brickhammer though.

The pacing conversation is what really jumped out at me, since it's been something I've been thinking about lately. The game kanon already has some strong fluff about minifigs needing to maintain Humans' attention in order to continue existing; I wonder if we could find a funny way to introduce a boredom roll each round to see if it's time to end the game and cut to the Kanon ending.


Haha I think even Mike picked up on that too on Twitter hahaha. Also come to think of it I forgot to mention Mike at all...oooops, sorry Mike if your reading this!

Yeah pacing is what lead to me making Mothership. I've played a lot of Brikwars (like you would a regular board game) and it just needs more help in that area.
User avatar
bluebright
Officer
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Austraila

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby stubby » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:22 pm

bluebright wrote:Yeah pacing is what lead to me making Mothership. I've played a lot of Brikwars (like you would a regular board game) and it just needs more help in that area.

I think the podcast guys got it right; it's a problem that all miniatures wargames share, and I don't think I've ever found one that solved it very well. I really do think a Human Interest roll might be the way to go. I have some ideas...

Toys are only animated as long as they maintain a Human's interest. Once the Humans get bored (according to a voluntary modified What I Say Goes contest), you cut to the Kanon Ending.

If you don't want to light the Kanon right away, but a player has to leave for some reason, then cut to rules for NPCing his forces (I already have some draft general-purpose NPC rules that I think are pretty funny).

If you don't want the whole battle to end, but parts of it stop mattering, some Selective Kanon rules to slap a Kanon Ending on the boring parts and tighten focus on whichever smaller parts of the battle still matter.

If you just want to ratchet things up (vs overly defensive players etc), then an Escalation Bonus to all Skill and Damage rolls, increasing each round.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby bluebright » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:54 pm

stubby wrote:
bluebright wrote:Yeah pacing is what lead to me making Mothership. I've played a lot of Brikwars (like you would a regular board game) and it just needs more help in that area.

I think the podcast guys got it right; it's a problem that all miniatures wargames share, and I don't think I've ever found one that solved it very well. I really do think a Human Interest roll might be the way to go. I have some ideas...

Toys are only animated as long as they maintain a Human's interest. Once the Humans get bored (according to a voluntary modified What I Say Goes contest), you cut to the Kanon Ending.

If you don't want to light the Kanon right away, but a player has to leave for some reason, then cut to rules for NPCing his forces (I already have some draft general-purpose NPC rules that I think are pretty funny).

If you don't want the whole battle to end, but parts of it stop mattering, some Selective Kanon rules to slap a Kanon Ending on the boring parts and tighten focus on whichever smaller parts of the battle still matter.

If you just want to ratchet things up (vs overly defensive players etc), then an Escalation Bonus to all Skill and Damage rolls, increasing each round.


I like the escalation bonus rule because we have too many players in our group that only play defensively. Granted they usually win but boy it's annoying!
User avatar
bluebright
Officer
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Austraila

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby stubby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:39 am

bluebright wrote:I like the escalation bonus rule because we have too many players in our group that only play defensively. Granted they usually win but boy it's annoying!

The bane of all wargames. Are you using the Instant Benny rules? Deadly Ground is there to give offensive players a little help.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby bluebright » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:30 pm

stubby wrote:
bluebright wrote:I like the escalation bonus rule because we have too many players in our group that only play defensively. Granted they usually win but boy it's annoying!

The bane of all wargames. Are you using the Instant Benny rules? Deadly Ground is there to give offensive players a little help.


Nope, can you link me?
User avatar
bluebright
Officer
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Austraila

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:32 am

bluebright wrote:
stubby wrote:Are you using the Instant Benny rules? Deadly Ground is there to give offensive players a little help.

Nope, can you link me?

http://brikwars.com/rules/2010/1.htm#4
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Brikwars on the Delve Podcast

Postby bluebright » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:06 am

stubby wrote:
bluebright wrote:
stubby wrote:Are you using the Instant Benny rules? Deadly Ground is there to give offensive players a little help.

Nope, can you link me?

http://brikwars.com/rules/2010/1.htm#4


And you've just made me realise my printed copy is still the 2005 rules  :shock: thanks!
User avatar
bluebright
Officer
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Austraila


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests