Discussion: Your thoughts on Lego's kid-ifying of themes

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

Re: Discussion: Your thoughts on Lego's kid-ifying of themes

Postby Av4l4nChE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am

I don't know, I've always known Lego to match up a good guy and bad guy vehicle to duke it out, and sometimes with an unaligned person or construction to add variety ( like the farmer and tractor ).

At the same time, though I can just as easily see two separate sets: one with the chopper and Killer Moth, the other with the harvester, the tractor and farmer.
Although, if they made a set with the chopper and a flying minifig enemy ( in this case, Killer Moth), that would be VERY similar to the $20 set they did like last year (?) with the batcopter and man-bat.
Maybe that's why the kept the elements together in this case.
As for creator, I pay next to no attention to it, so I wouldn't have the right to comment.
"Think of yourselves as fingers on a hand. Alone, you're formidable. Together, you're invincible."
-Kal Skirata

Av4l4nChE
Hero

Postby ninja_bait » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm

I think you all aged out of the target audience.

LEGO has always included a bit of story for context with their sets, but I think they have been leaning into that more heavily as time goes on and have made the story the focus.  The kidification is really storyification.  LEGO sets are focusing more on scenes than on creations.  Let's throw gas on the flames here: maybe it is because girls prefer toys with nice long plots.  Whether or not child psychology is involved, TLG has started to become a media giant and the sets are part of that now - you see the LEGO-brand movie, you buy the set of your favorite scene, you play the animation of the thing you built on your AR app on your phone.  TLG has been trying to do this since Fabuland where the sets came with picture books.  Obviously, it is now working better than it ever did before, and it sets TLG apart from the lesser brands.  As many commenters already noted, there is still a lot to love about LEGO today.

By the way, I suspect that the evolution of the projectiles is driven, at least in part, by the need to stay ahead with intellectual property.  Since LEGO has lost a monopoly on the basic brick concept, it is specialty parts that help differentiate their brand.  Their other goal is to get to the smallest possible projectiles to maximize the number your dog eats.

It would be nice if they could make a shooter that shoots the stud shooter triggers, because I have a lot of those and they do not connect to really anything.
ninja_bait
Hero

Postby Maraxous » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 am

I like the new sets, but not the juniorized stuff. At the same time my son has autism and lacks the coordination for some of the smaller pieces. This lets him have fun and build on par with his brother

As far as feminifigs go. I use so many in my builds because the boys don't steal them to play with.  :D
Also that keeps them safe for when my niece comes over. She hates the brikwarsy stuff, but still wants to play "doll house"
Maraxous
Hero

Postby Silverdream » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Tzan wrote:
Av4l4nChE wrote:I don't really have a specific reason why I prefer males to females, just a personal preference... so I guess I've been kind of hardwired to prefer them.
I guess I didn't clarify properly earlier on. My bad! Hopefully this will clear it up!...?

Yes, yes, perfectly clear now.

:ftw:

I used to wish I had more female faces for realism. Luckily the lego smile and some other faces are gender neutral. Having a soldier with a generic yellow smile and a helmet means that they can really be anybody.
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Tzan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:54 pm

:D
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby dilanski » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 pm

stubby wrote:
Av4l4nChE wrote:Dude, you worked on Lego Universe?!? That's so dope!

Have you not heard the story? Lego Universe was based on BrikWars 2005. My first day on the job, I had to sit through a presentation where they told me and everybody else about BrikWars.

Av4l4nChE wrote:I wish it would've went on longer. Did it die because people weren't willing to pay the fee?

It died because it was too expensive to moderate. Lego wouldn't allow a single slip-up in terms of inappropriate chat or builds from the players, so every single thing had to be reviewed by human moderators. There was no way to make it work; the per-user cost of moderation was more than you could charge in subscriptions.

For a brand that can't allow the tiniest safety breach, it was an impossible project from the very start. They just didn't know enough about how MMOs worked to realize it until it was way too late.

Off topic, but there are a bunch of projects to get LU up and running. My brothers been working with one of them for a while now. Anyway, apparently there is some inappropriate stuff hidden within the game files. Sort of ironic that it slipped through.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby Av4l4nChE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:55 pm

That would be pretty awesome to have to play again, maybe this time without being so anal about inappropriate content.
"Think of yourselves as fingers on a hand. Alone, you're formidable. Together, you're invincible."
-Kal Skirata

Av4l4nChE
Hero

Postby Kommander Ken » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Av4l4nChE wrote:That would be pretty awesome to have to play again, maybe this time without inappropriate anal content.

:ftfy:
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby dilanski » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 am

Kommander Ken wrote:
Av4l4nChE wrote:That would be pretty awesome to have to play again, maybe this time without inappropriate anal content.

:ftfy:

I'll relay that to the team. Remove all the sodomisation and anal cunnilingus that was filling the game.

Some people are going to be really bummed out about that.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby Av4l4nChE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:44 pm

If there was an SMH emoji, I would use it lol.
-Kal Skirata

Av4l4nChE
Hero

Previous

Return to General Discussion