Ninjago

Also, butts.

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Ninjago

Postby Craigallot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 am

So I'm quite impressed this is still running (or spinning, I guess, dohoho), there was the animated series, I'm seeing there's a movie, I'm even seeing Ninjago costume products (  :wtc: ). Is Ninjago one of LEGO's most successful (original, not movie-based) products of all time?

(Thinking about it, it's probably Lego City.)
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Re: Ninjago

Postby Tzan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 am

The movie was good.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby ninja_bait » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm

At this point they could probably replace every theme with a subtheme of Ninjago and no one would care.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Postby Kommander Ken » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Pretty sure it's on it's last year but yes the theme's almost been running as long as Bionicle it feels like.
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

They actually canceled it to make room for Chima and Nexo, but were then horrified that the first year of Chima and Nexo only did as well as the first year of Ninjago instead of as well as Ninjago when it was a fully mature theme. The fact that they were both "only" as successful in their first year as Lego's most successful line of all time was viewed as a huge failure. So they brought Ninjago back from the dead out of panic rather than as part of any kind of careful strategy.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Tzan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 pm

:???:
So they are still in business despite themselves.
Tzan

Postby sahasrahla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 pm

never been big on ninjago until the movie sets came out, i fukkin love those, and i didn't even like the movie that much
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Postby Texhnophille » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, it combines mechs, crazy-ass vehicles, that spinning mini-game, and nice buildings - all in one theme.

Also, bikers with katanas and chainsaws. The most badass thing I've ever seen - before they announced Lego Movie 2 sets that is.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
Texhnophille
Minifig

Postby Craigallot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Maybe the careful strategy is that they can then bring back Chima and Nexo if the next line doesn't exceed anything that came before it.
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Craigallot

Postby Texhnophille » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am

Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.
Or was that the case with From Software's Demon Souls? Damn you masterpieces, can't even tell one from another.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
Texhnophille
Minifig

Postby stubby » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Texhnophille wrote:Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.

Lego rejected bionicle completely and banned the designers from working on it. Of course the designers kept going anyway, because 2000-era Lego management was worse than useless and nobody listened to them if they ever wanted to accomplish anything. So when management called them up with "okay where's that other boring playtheme you were supposed to be working on for the past year," the bionicle guys were all "lol fuk u lego we spent all that time working on the bionicle project you banned instead of any of the stuff you asked us to" and then it was all or nothing in the sense that they needed a product line and that was all they had. Those designers are heroes and role models to all Lego employees.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby BriksKrieg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 pm

I enjoyed Bionicle, it was one of my childhood highlights. I didn't like the newer ones quite as much, but nonetheless, they were cool. I was disappointed when Lego discontinued them
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.

sahasrahla wrote:we can always count on Tzan to offer engaging and intellectually stimulating observations on the topic at hand
BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Texhnophille wrote:Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.
Or was that the case with From Software's Demon Souls? Damn you masterpieces, can't even tell one from another.

Warframe has pretty much the same story too.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Craigallot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am

stubby wrote:Lego rejected bionicle completely and banned the designers from working on it. Of course the designers kept going anyway, because 2000-era Lego management was worse than useless and nobody listened to them if they ever wanted to accomplish anything. So when management called them up with "okay where's that other boring playtheme you were supposed to be working on for the past year," the bionicle guys were all "lol fuk u lego we spent all that time working on the bionicle project you banned instead of any of the stuff you asked us to" and then it was all or nothing in the sense that they needed a product line and that was all they had. Those designers are heroes and role models to all Lego employees.

:boss:

That makes Bionicle even more awesome.

Craigallot

Return to General Discussion