Ninjago

Also, butts.

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Ninjago

Postby Craigallot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 am

So I'm quite impressed this is still running (or spinning, I guess, dohoho), there was the animated series, I'm seeing there's a movie, I'm even seeing Ninjago costume products (  :wtc: ). Is Ninjago one of LEGO's most successful (original, not movie-based) products of all time?

(Thinking about it, it's probably Lego City.)
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
User avatar
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: work work

Re: Ninjago

Postby Tzan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 am

The movie was good.
User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
 
Posts: 4487
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ninjago

Postby ninja_bait » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm

At this point they could probably replace every theme with a subtheme of Ninjago and no one would care.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Ninjago

Postby Kommander Ken » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Pretty sure it's on it's last year but yes the theme's almost been running as long as Bionicle it feels like.
User avatar
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
 
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 am
Location: Coming soon to a Brikverse near you.

Re: Ninjago

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

They actually canceled it to make room for Chima and Nexo, but were then horrified that the first year of Chima and Nexo only did as well as the first year of Ninjago instead of as well as Ninjago when it was a fully mature theme. The fact that they were both "only" as successful in their first year as Lego's most successful line of all time was viewed as a huge failure. So they brought Ninjago back from the dead out of panic rather than as part of any kind of careful strategy.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5063
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Ninjago

Postby Tzan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 pm

:???:
So they are still in business despite themselves.
User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
 
Posts: 4487
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ninjago

Postby sahasrahla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 pm

never been big on ninjago until the movie sets came out, i fukkin love those, and i didn't even like the movie that much
User avatar
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Re: Ninjago

Postby Texhnophille » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, it combines mechs, crazy-ass vehicles, that spinning mini-game, and nice buildings - all in one theme.

Also, bikers with katanas and chainsaws. The most badass thing I've ever seen - before they announced Lego Movie 2 sets that is.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
User avatar
Texhnophille
Minifig
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am
Location: Bleeding mother Russia

Re: Ninjago

Postby Craigallot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Maybe the careful strategy is that they can then bring back Chima and Nexo if the next line doesn't exceed anything that came before it.
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
User avatar
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: work work

Re: Ninjago

Postby Texhnophille » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am

Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.
Or was that the case with From Software's Demon Souls? Damn you masterpieces, can't even tell one from another.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
User avatar
Texhnophille
Minifig
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am
Location: Bleeding mother Russia

Re: Ninjago

Postby stubby » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Texhnophille wrote:Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.

Lego rejected bionicle completely and banned the designers from working on it. Of course the designers kept going anyway, because 2000-era Lego management was worse than useless and nobody listened to them if they ever wanted to accomplish anything. So when management called them up with "okay where's that other boring playtheme you were supposed to be working on for the past year," the bionicle guys were all "lol fuk u lego we spent all that time working on the bionicle project you banned instead of any of the stuff you asked us to" and then it was all or nothing in the sense that they needed a product line and that was all they had. Those designers are heroes and role models to all Lego employees.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5063
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Ninjago

Postby BriksKrieg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 pm

I enjoyed Bionicle, it was one of my childhood highlights. I didn't like the newer ones quite as much, but nonetheless, they were cool. I was disappointed when Lego discontinued them
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.

sahasrahla wrote:we can always count on Tzan to offer engaging and intellectually stimulating observations on the topic at hand
User avatar
BriksKrieg
Dimmy
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Hiding from Craig

Re: Ninjago

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Texhnophille wrote:Yeah well, some masterpieces are born out of that "I have nothing to lose" mindset. I might be mistaken, but that's how they green lit the first gen of Bionicle. It was all or nothing for Lego.
Or was that the case with From Software's Demon Souls? Damn you masterpieces, can't even tell one from another.

Warframe has pretty much the same story too.
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Formerly Wisconsin, Now Minnesota

Re: Ninjago

Postby Craigallot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am

stubby wrote:Lego rejected bionicle completely and banned the designers from working on it. Of course the designers kept going anyway, because 2000-era Lego management was worse than useless and nobody listened to them if they ever wanted to accomplish anything. So when management called them up with "okay where's that other boring playtheme you were supposed to be working on for the past year," the bionicle guys were all "lol fuk u lego we spent all that time working on the bionicle project you banned instead of any of the stuff you asked us to" and then it was all or nothing in the sense that they needed a product line and that was all they had. Those designers are heroes and role models to all Lego employees.


:boss:

That makes Bionicle even more awesome.
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
User avatar
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: work work


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron