Father sets the Record Straight

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Yeah, he also taught you you had to believe that, or you would be punished. There's no room for critical thought and thus development of the mind left at all. We want obedient workers! Not critical, intelligent citizens! Since when is this about your dad anyway? Do you have a problem you need to talk about?

Uhm, no. I'm agreeing that the way you were raised works, too, but there are other ways. Maybe YOU'RE the one who's been brainwashed.

How do you know it's not? You're missing the point (again) I'm judging his act here.

I know you're judging his act here, but you also said "What got him into this shit in the first place, you think? His great method of education?," implying that he does this same thing previously. If you're only worried about this, then only refer to this instance, not what he has done previously.

I never said anything of the sort. I don't know where you got that from at all.


Go sign yourself down for the youngest case of amnesia ever.

But if you want to use that as an example, what would you do if someone had gotten you a house, food for 10 years, a computer, TV, whatever else this girl had, then asked you to sweep the floors? Would you complain about it to all your friends?


:roll:

And just because it's law to do those things doesn't mean that they would have to do it.


I can see you've been educated, really, really well :lol:

No reason to get childish. If there's something you want to say, or some way you think my argument is wrong, then show me instead of dodging. Those answers have nothing to do with what we're talking about.

So apparently, you're allowed to be such a bad parent to convince your 16 year old kids leave the house, everything is justified by the power the 16 year old has of setting out to create her own life :lol:

That's not the point. The point is that if it were really bad and detrimental she COULD leave. The fact that she doesn't leave is important. No one's stopping her.

It is humiliating, aggressive, and yes, even childish. If I were to walk up into your room and put some rounds in your computer screen, you'd be pretty pissed off. If I did it while calling your mother a whore and said I'm going to put an extra bullet in there for every guy who did her, you'd be even more pissed off.

And what did I do for you to do that? Did you buy the computer? Did he call her a whore? What does this have to do with anything. Your "what if" statements have absolutely no connection to this.

I don't mean the laptop. During the video, he's throwing the paper away and some other thing he's fiddling with too. He also did the same thing his daughter did. What a great example-setter this man is, truly.

I'll give you that he hung the dirty laundry up on the internet, which is what she did. But saying that him throwing a piece of paper off-screen in the middle of the video instead of running to put it in the trash is grasping for straws. Do you seriously think he didn't throw it in the trash afterwards?

As for drawing assumptions, a lot of the people who agreed with him posted 'he was the greatest dad ever'. For all we know, he might be a real asshole around the house. We do not know. We do know however that he's a man willing to use a gun to intimidate his child. And you're accusing me of drawing assumptions?

Again, refer to your statement of "What got him into this shit in the first place, you think? His great method of education?" I'm not drawing assumptions, I don't know what he did outside of this video. I said that YOU are assuming what he did outside of this video.

You're also assuming I think the daughter was in her right.

No, I just said I wasn't in the last post. If you want to show me where I said that or even hinted at it, I'd like to see it.

I think the daughter is a stupid ballerina too, but it's her father's duty to make her into something better, and this is not going to achieve it. She'll probably be bullied for life and forever be known as 'that girl whose crazy dad shot her laptop'. Way to give your children a future.

Or she could go off and make a million dollars like a bunch of other people humiliated on the internet. And her name isn't mentioned.

Might I suggest that every parent starts behaving this way? Soon, Youtube will be full of videos of parents shooting their kid's stuff, and the world will be a better place. The weapon industry would also rejoice and the ict sector would have to double their production, we might even solve the economical crisis this way.

No one said it would be a better place, and we never said other methods wouldn't work, too. We're saying this stuff happens all the time, so your passive-aggressive and sarcastic statement comes up short.

Also, that chart does not at all give a proper definition on what a counter-argument OR what a contradiction is. I also don't at all understand why your chart is pyramid shaped...


It's not even my chart you dumbass.

Yea, that was IVHorseman, and he wasn't talking to you. Another example of people just getting angry over nothing and taking things too personally.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:55 pm

If you're going to get angry and start calling people assholes/idiots just because we're suggesting something you don't necessarily agree with, then maybe you should calm down and stop replying. The rest of us are just talking and you're taking this all too personal.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:42 pm

I also didn't say that was your chart either, so who's the dumbass now?

You should most definitely calm your tits, and think about actually reading and understanding people's posts before writing some huge long-winded angry response with inapplicable quotes. This whole "I don't really pay attention to people's usernames when they post" does WONDERS for your credibility. How can anyone be convinced by your arguments if you don't even know who you're arguing against?



I fully support the presence of srs bizness in our discussions, because it leads to hilarious explosions like these. OneEye, I salute you for riding this horse as far as you have.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6624
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

I literally have nothing better to do.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Because my dad shot a hole through my guitar!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Bragallot wrote:We do know however that he's a man willing to use a gun to intimidate his child.


Er...no. He's not threatening her with a gun. If he had used an easy-bake oven, I bet you'd be okay with it. Gun =/= a direct threat. I think your sheltered life is the reason you think this, because you've been raised to think guns only belong to thugs and "dumb southerners" (I'm not quoting you on that btw, so don't get pissy. but you do have prejudices toward southerners, so you're still being a biased idiot).

The real reason you can't accept this is because you're only looking at what you can immediately see. You seem to think that father + daughter + gun = domestic violence.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: America's conjoined twin.

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Would there be a problem if he had dropped it from a second story window 6 times, then said that her mother told her to drop it once for her for what she had said? Or run it over with a car?

I could see the same thing done with a car. "This is my Ford F150. It's got Goodyear tires, and these things aren't cheap. *crush crush crush crush crush crush* And because what you said to your mom the other day, she told me to run it over once for her. *crush* Two more times. *crush crush*"
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Bragallot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:46 pm

there are other ways.


Agree, yet this is not the way and I do not think this dad represents a larger community of parents because I have yet to see a large group of people do what he did.

you also said "What got him into this shit in the first place, you think? His great method of education?," implying that he does this same thing previously.


... obviously something went wrong for him to 'be forced' to take things this far. You can't just see this video as the start of all his parenting troubles 'cos he had to be pretty freaked out and frustrated already to do what he did.

Those answers have nothing to do with what we're talking about.


Don't care. You're saying you've been raised so well, then to comment you don't care about the law, which made me laugh :lol:

The point is that if it were really bad and detrimental she COULD leave. The fact that she doesn't leave is important. No one's stopping her.


You're repeating yourself. She does not have this choice. How many options does a 16 year old who puts herself on the street have you think? Oh yeah, that's right, there's one.

Your "what if" statements have absolutely no connection to this.


They do. The point of it was meant to prove was that in a similar situation where someone is destroying someone else's stuff, which is already nasty, making humiliating remarks about it only makes the act more nasty and does not help the situation at all.

Do you seriously think he didn't throw it in the trash afterwards?


Doesn't matter. We do not know, and he's setting a bad example, he who is trying to seem so high and mighty and full of discipline and telling what a good kid he was. It may be just a small thing, but it makes him come off as a serious hypocrite to me. Someone who gets this worked out over a couple of dishes, should get equally worked up about thrash lying around in the garden.

I said that YOU are assuming what he did outside of this video.


And you never stop to think that what I said could be true, and what the dad said has to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone who knows the basics of human nature knows people always hide information and are rarely completely honest.

No, I just said I wasn't in the last post. If you want to show me where I said that or even hinted at it, I'd like to see it.


I just did by placing the quotes underneath each other. I thought it was clear enough. Maybe I should write you a guidebook on how to read my posts.

Or she could go off and make a million dollars like a bunch of other people humiliated on the internet. And her name isn't mentioned.


A million dollars... or your dignity... A million dollars... or your social life... A million dollars... or your chance at live in general... A million dollars... or an event that will brandish you for life... It's the internet, pal, her name can be found easily, it was in the youtube comments, and everyone spreading the message on Facebook knows who she is. The dad's name also got out, making it even easier.

No one said it would be a better place


I wonder, what's the reason behind your actions then, if not making the world a better place, if only slightly? Making it a worse place? That would explain a lot. This kind of stuff does not happen all the time. Find me enough other videos with over 100 million views where similar stuff happens to claim it happens all the time and I will agree to you. Good luck.

If you're going to get angry and start calling people assholes/idiots just because we're suggesting something you don't necessarily agree with, then maybe you should calm down and stop replying. The rest of us are just talking and you're taking this all too personal.


Says the guy who was crying to the entire forum about how misunderstood he was a few pages back :lol: I'm also not going to stop posting, so tough luck.

I literally have nothing better to do.


And you are the guys feeling good about yourselves? And I should feel like you 'got me' because of this? This, and the thousand other occasions you've mentioned the fact you have absolutely no life at all make me the one who's amused, I can guarantee you :lol: Using cuss words, doesn't mean I'm angry. Shouldn't be too much to handle for a big tough guy like you who had a violent dad. It just means I think you deserve it. The only ones complaining about 'hurr you're insulting me!' are you guys so it shouldn't be too difficult to work out who cares about what the other guy's saying most either. Of course, getting people angry over the internet is like your ultimate dream come true 'cos I can't imagine you to be capable of much else, so you can imagine me to be angry, if you like, if that makes you feel accomplished at life. Creating anger with your daughter, or creating anger on the internet, both must be so very productive indeed. The fact horseman puts this forward as your main motivation for keeping this going (even when I said I was no longer interested, which I was at that point) is does a lot for your credibility, too.

He's not threatening her with a gun


Exactly. That's why I didn't say he was threatening her with a gun. I used the word 'intimidate'. If you think the father's display of destroying the laptop with a frickin gun while he could have perfectly just broke it in two had any other purpose than to intimidate and humiliate his daughter, I'd like to hear it, but I won't, because there isn't. The 'man' has serious issues if this drives him far enough to get angry enough to spend expensive bullets for the simple task of destroying a laptop. Makes me wonder how easily he would be tempted to use his gun in other situations he can't handle otherwise.

I think your sheltered life is the reason you think this, because you've been raised to think guns only belong to thugs and "dumb southerners"


Wait a moment, you said I was the one being biased? Well how's that for bias? Just so you know, I have held and fired guns (quite good at it even I daresay) and I don't mind them at all (prefer bows though), which doesn't mean I can't disapprove of the use some people make of them. When a gun is used to compensate for something else, because the owner is too insecure otherwise, I think he's pathetic. I am sure this dad couldn't stand up to a real man in an argument if he didn't have his gun; he would likely shit his pants. I'm biased towards Southerners now, because I called one man who had clearly done wrong out on his stupid hat and accent, with full knowledge that there are a lot of terrible people like him down there, without saying all people down south are like that? Yes, check 'thoughts on racism' if you haven't already.

To address that last post, a drop from a window or seeing something being crushed because it's run over is not as intimidating at all as using the gun. Guns were crafted for violence (yes they were. Am I saying all people who buy guns want to do violence with them? No I'm not) and thus a clear image of violence, while a drop is just gravity doing its work and a bulldozer is just a tool doing its work of crushing things, which do not commonly include people. So yes, the gun is a highly inappropriate device to make a part of your relationship with anyone unless you're trying to intimidate them. It also takes more aggression to fire a gun than to drop something or run something over, and anger only breeds more anger. By showing his daughter he's destroying her laptop, especially in such a way, the only thing he's accomplishing is making her more angry (you would be angry too if you saw someone do that to your stuff), so in fact, he's accomplishing nothing positive at all. He is a failed parent.

That said, I thought destroying the laptop was pretty darn ridiculous of him in the first place. If he's so concerned about those other kids who have it way tougher than his daughter, he could have donated it. He would actually have been doing something good if he did that and getting his message across about people who have it worse directly, and maybe get some respect from his daughter because she would see what a good man he was to care enough about those people to consider helping them, not a mad idiot who starts firing a gun and destroying property because he feels disrespected. Simply destroying something doesn't teach anyone anything.

And one more point to show you how ineffective it was: he threatened his daughter he'd put a bullet through her laptop, she didn't care. Right now I'm thinking he maybe said that in a rage without giving it much thought, and then decided he'd do it because well, when you say something, you gotta do it or no one will take you seriously, while he perhaps wouldn't have done it if he had 'the choice'. That is a possibility, but we do not and cannot know. So don't tell me I'm interpreting everything about this dad as negatively as I can, because you know what? Right now I feel kinda bad for him too, in a way. I'm pretty sure he didn't want all this to happen and assumed 'buying her stuff' would endear his daughter to him (it's not enough), but I can't justify his actions or come to another conclusion than the fact he is a failure.

As for 'not paying attention to people's nicknames', why do you have to take that so literally? I was denying I was biased towards oneeye and take everything he says as a personal attack. If anything him complaining about that makes it seem an awful lot like he has more bias and problems towards me than the other way around. I also meant I do not carry grudges: I've been rude to Silverdream and simply dropped it in other threads and posts, and the same thing goes for oneeye.
Last edited by Bragallot on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
User avatar
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights
 
Posts: 5406
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Internship

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Robot Monkey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:46 pm

:trollception:
Image
User avatar
Robot Monkey
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Weed land

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:24 pm

It looks like guns were popular gifts this Saturnalia season. The FBI says the two busiest days in the history of the National Instant Check System happened within a month of each other this year. The first, on retail's Black Friday, shattered the old record set in 2008. Then, on Dec. 23, more than 102,000 NICS checks were performed, also outpacing the number from 2008.


Anti-gun organizations like the Brady Campaign are trying to claim that these numbers mean nothing, and that there aren't many new gun owners at all. Now, we may not be able to figure out what percentage of the sales are to first-time buyers, but with training courses filling up months in advance in a lot of places, and the fact that most of us know someone who's become a new gun owner in the past year or two, it's safe to say the Brady Campaign's engaging in some pretty pathetic spin.

The NRA is helping these new gun owners every day, whether it's providing the training they receive, grants to ranges across the country so they have places to shoot, sanctioning competitive matches, or fighting for their rights from Capitol Hill to state capitols across the nation. I'm glad more Americans are exercising their Second Amendment rights, but we need them to defend their rights as well by becoming NRA members. For our firearm freedoms, 2012 is going to be a crucial year and the stronger the NRA, the more secure our Right to Keep and Bear Arms will be.


One thing you notice, as the stories unfold, is how the youngest victims of accidental shootings tend to be shot in the head--how natural it is, when you are a child and playing with a loaded gun, to point it at your friend's face and go "boom."

At the bustling Washington headquarters for the Million Mom March, the stories--of toddlers caught in a cross fire, grandmothers murdered on vacation, six-year-olds gunned down at school--are as essential to the cause as are the T shirts and the slick website. The Million Mom March could not exist without such anguish. The stories that pour forth from women who have lost loved ones to gun violence are deeply personal and unremittingly awful. The tears flow at press conferences and in meetings at the White House. And this Mother's Day, as moms from around the country converge on the Washington Mall, the tears will spill onto the national stage.

The war over guns in America highlights the distance between the personal and the political. Women, while telling pollsters that they overwhelmingly favor more controls on guns, have been largely silent on the issue in public. But as each fresh shooting horror is met by the same inaction in Congress, a roiling frustration may be awakening an army of moms who see themselves as outsiders armed only with their clout as voters and agitators. And as politicians stare into the gender divide--polls show that about 72% of women, vs. 22% of men, favor more regulation of firearms--gun control could join more traditional women's concerns, such as education and health care, as a key issue in races across the country.


Why would a government employee refuse to testify under oath about a government operation? Patrick Cunningham, chief of the Criminal Division in the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona, repeatedly refused to give a deposition to investigators digging into "Operation Fast and Furious." When Rep. Darrell Issa subpoenaed Cunningham, the Justice Department employee responded through his private attorney that he'd be invoking his Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination.


For more than a year now, Attorney General Eric Holder has insisted that there was no wrongdoing in "Operation Fast and Furious." But one of his own attorneys is refusing to go on the record about the operation that put thousands of guns in the hands of Mexican cartel members? If Holder were honest, he would have come clean about "Fast and Furious" months ago. Instead, the Justice Department has dragged on the investigation for months, throwing roadblocks in the way of congressional investigators and engaging in desperate spin to avoid responsibility for the infamous operation.

The American people deserve answers, and it is unconscionable that employees of the Justice Department are refusing to give them. Then again, the head of the Department of Justice didn't provide any satisfactory answers in his recent testimony before Rep. Issa and the House Oversight Committee. Instead, the attorney general attacked members of Congress for daring to question previous statements that have been proven false, and actually whined that he hasn't received enough credit for the good things done under his watch.

The former head of the DEA office in Tucson, Ariz., recently told the Daily Caller website that knowledge of gun walking in "Fast and Furious" was common outside of the ATF, and that Holder either knew it was happening or was willfully ignorant of the transfer of firearms to the Mexican drug cartels. As more information leaks out, it's obvious that Holder's petulant responses and pathetic excuses simply don't hold water.

Already last week the presidential campaign was rocked by release of a videotape in which a top official of the National Rifle Association boasted that the organization was extremely close to George W. Bush and would have a President "where we work out of their office" if he were elected. At the same time, several gun manufacturers suspended negotiations with state and local officials, in hope that they would win protection from lawsuits if Bush were elected. Al Gore attacked Bush as a tool of the N.R.A. Bush, while long friendly to the gun lobby, tried to distance himself from it. "It's stomach churning," says Donna Dees-Thomases, chief organizer of the Million Mom March. "But it's still important for us to remain nonpartisan. There are still politicians who want to do the right thing" on gun control.



Activists among the Million Moms have had more success at the grass roots than in Washington this year, persuading state and local governments from California to Connecticut to Florida to pass safety-lock requirements and restrictions on handgun purchases. And gun-control advocates have taken gunmakers to court--resulting, for example, in the deal last month in which Smith & Wesson agreed to incorporate new safety features in its handguns.
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5090
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Keldoclock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Bragallot wrote:thrash in the garden

:666:

Tzan wrote: Excellent quotes n shit

I am equally cheery about the increase in gun ownership(and presumably NRA membership), as it could mean the gun control laws in my state becoming less strict.

Not sure how I feel about the extra safeties. Hopefully they are nonintrusive, like the Glock's trigger and grip safeties. I was planning to have my first gun be a S&W, they are one of the finest wheelgun makers in the world, and their new 1911's are very high quality for the price too.
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 am

Bragallot wrote:I should feel like you 'got me' because of this?


You got yourself, dawg
:dog:
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6624
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 am

Bragallot wrote:
there are other ways.


Agree, yet this is not the way and I do not think this dad represents a larger community of parents because I have yet to see a large group of people do what he did.

You're talking to people of that community right now, and completely disregarding all statements.

... obviously something went wrong for him to 'be forced' to take things this far. You can't just see this video as the start of all his parenting troubles 'cos he had to be pretty freaked out and frustrated already to do what he did.

Or the girl could just be a total bitch. Being raised by loving parents doesn't always lead to a loving child, which is something that I tried to point out a few posts ago and you disregarded.

Don't care. You're saying you've been raised so well, then to comment you don't care about the law, which made me laugh :lol:

Never said I didn't care about the law, I said people don't have to care about the law. There's a big difference. Generalization and twisting of other people words, bringing them out of context isn't doing much for your credibility either.

You're repeating yourself. She does not have this choice. How many options does a 16 year old who puts herself on the street have you think? Oh yeah, that's right, there's one.

I'm repeating myself because you keep making the same statements without acknowledging answers. Also, I know plenty of people who left home while still in highschool and are doing fine. You could work and make something of your life at that age, too.

They do. The point of it was meant to prove was that in a similar situation where someone is destroying someone else's stuff, which is already nasty, making humiliating remarks about it only makes the act more nasty and does not help the situation at all.

No, you're taking them out of context. You're saying "what if someone did this for no reason" instead of "what if someone did this for a reason." Two completely different things. If someone came in my room and ruined my computer for no reason, I would have a totally different reaction than if someone came in my room and ruined my computer after I did something to them. Also, it wasn't her stuff, it was her father's stuff.

Doesn't matter. We do not know, and he's setting a bad example, he who is trying to seem so high and mighty and full of discipline and telling what a good kid he was. It may be just a small thing, but it makes him come off as a serious hypocrite to me. Someone who gets this worked out over a couple of dishes, should get equally worked up about thrash lying around in the garden.

That's probably why he would clean it up. Automatically assuming he's a hypocrite just because you don't like the other things that you see.

And you never stop to think that what I said could be true, and what the dad said has to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone who knows the basics of human nature knows people always hide information and are rarely completely honest.

Yes, that's exactly why I said I didn't know. I would say I didn't know, whereas you are automatically viewing this man as someone who WOULD do those things. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

I just did by placing the quotes underneath each other. I thought it was clear enough. Maybe I should write you a guidebook on how to read my posts.

"But if you want to use that as an example, what would you do if someone had gotten you a house, food for 10 years, a computer, TV, whatever else this girl had, then asked you to sweep the floors? Would you complain about it to all your friends?"
That's a rhetorical question. I know your answer would be "no," which would mean you wouldn't agree with her actions. In no way did I say you agreed with her. I was using your disagreement to try to help you see where I was coming from on that point, but obviously it didn't work.

A million dollars... or your dignity... A million dollars... or your social life... A million dollars... or your chance at live in general... A million dollars... or an event that will brandish you for life... It's the internet, pal, her name can be found easily, it was in the youtube comments, and everyone spreading the message on Facebook knows who she is. The dad's name also got out, making it even easier.

Hey, some people don't care about dignity. She posted her own family's problems up on the internet, which makes me think she doesn't really mind people knowing about all the skeletons in her closet. If she does, then she ruined her dignity herself anyway.

I wonder, what's the reason behind your actions then, if not making the world a better place, if only slightly? Making it a worse place? That would explain a lot. This kind of stuff does not happen all the time. Find me enough other videos with over 100 million views where similar stuff happens to claim it happens all the time and I will agree to you. Good luck.

You forgot the rest of my quote: "... and we never said other methods wouldn't work, too."
Again, taking my words out of context. I said that it wouldn't make the world a better place if we all changed because I think it's fine the way things are now. I think all the parenting methods we've talked about are fine, so why change them all to one?

Says the guy who was crying to the entire forum about how misunderstood he was a few pages back :lol:

Another personal attack for no reason instead of a pleasant conversation.

And you are the guys feeling good about yourselves? And I should feel like you 'got me' because of this? This, and the thousand other occasions you've mentioned the fact you have absolutely no life at all make me the one who's amused, I can guarantee you :lol: Using cuss words, doesn't mean I'm angry. Shouldn't be too much to handle for a big tough guy like you who had a violent dad. It just means I think you deserve it. The only ones complaining about 'hurr you're insulting me!' are you guys so it shouldn't be too difficult to work out who cares about what the other guy's saying most either. Of course, getting people angry over the internet is like your ultimate dream come true 'cos I can't imagine you to be capable of much else, so you can imagine me to be angry, if you like, if that makes you feel accomplished at life. Creating anger with your daughter, or creating anger on the internet, both must be so very productive indeed. The fact horseman puts this forward as your main motivation for keeping this going (even when I said I was no longer interested, which I was at that point) is does a lot for your credibility, too.

I'm not the one trying to belittle people. I could care less, but you asked me what I was trying to do if not make the world a better place. So what are you trying to do with this conversation? Are you trying to have a discussion with people, or are you trying to show all of us how you're right?
Horseman also didn't put it forth as my motivation, but as something that happened along the way. I said earlier I enjoyed debate and conversation. You seem to just enjoy telling people how much better you are.

Exactly. That's why I didn't say he was threatening her with a gun. I used the word 'intimidate'. If you think the father's display of destroying the laptop with a frickin gun while he could have perfectly just broke it in two had any other purpose than to intimidate and humiliate his daughter, I'd like to hear it, but I won't, because there isn't. The 'man' has serious issues if this drives him far enough to get angry enough to spend expensive bullets for the simple task of destroying a laptop. Makes me wonder how easily he would be tempted to use his gun in other situations he can't handle otherwise.

Humiliate, yes. Intimidate, no. The gun is because he literally said he would put a bullet through her laptop if she did it again. You wouldn't want him to teach her to go back on her word, would you?

Wait a moment, you said I was the one being biased? Well how's that for bias? Just so you know, I have held and fired guns (quite good at it even I daresay) and I don't mind them at all (prefer bows though), which doesn't mean I can't disapprove of the use some people make of them. When a gun is used to compensate for something else, because the owner is too insecure otherwise, I think he's pathetic. I am sure this dad couldn't stand up to a real man in an argument if he didn't have his gun; he would likely shit his pants. I'm biased towards Southerners now, because I called one man who had clearly done wrong out on his stupid hat and accent, with full knowledge that there are a lot of terrible people like him down there, without saying all people down south are like that? Yes, check 'thoughts on racism' if you haven't already.

Yes, that's pretty much the definition of being racist. By saying his hat and accent are one of the reasons why he's like that, you're saying those are factors that add to his "wrong" actions. You said:
"He's also insane. Southern accent says it all, as well as the stupid hat he's wearing."
"He's also insane. Ebonics accent says it all, as well as the stupid jeans he's wearing."

To address that last post, a drop from a window or seeing something being crushed because it's run over is not as intimidating at all as using the gun. Guns were crafted for violence (yes they were. Am I saying all people who buy guns want to do violence with them? No I'm not) and thus a clear image of violence, while a drop is just gravity doing its work and a bulldozer is just a tool doing its work of crushing things, which do not commonly include people. So yes, the gun is a highly inappropriate device to make a part of your relationship with anyone unless you're trying to intimidate them. It also takes more aggression to fire a gun than to drop something or run something over, and anger only breeds more anger.

Which is why I said she was probably raised around guns and had fired them herself. Because of the culture down there, seeing her father's gun would probably not be frightening or out of the ordinary. To many people, a gun is just a gun, not something for violence. I don't look at my dad's guns and say "wow, those are violent things." They're an everyday item.

By showing his daughter he's destroying her laptop, especially in such a way, the only thing he's accomplishing is making her more angry (you would be angry too if you saw someone do that to your stuff), so in fact, he's accomplishing nothing positive at all. He is a failed parent.

Again, taking away the context of punishment. I said earlier "If someone came in my room and ruined my computer for no reason, I would have a totally different reaction than if someone came in my room and ruined my computer after I did something to them. Also, it wasn't her stuff, it was her father's stuff."
And you're assuming things you didn't see again. We don't know if he failed by doing this. She could have very well learned a lesson.

Simply destroying something doesn't teach anyone anything.

Or it teaches them that the item was not a sure thing. It was a gift for some behavior, or out of respect, and with the loss of respect comes the loss of such a gift.

And one more point to show you how ineffective it was: he threatened his daughter he'd put a bullet through her laptop, she didn't care. Right now I'm thinking he maybe said that in a rage without giving it much thought, and then decided he'd do it because well, when you say something, you gotta do it or no one will take you seriously, while he perhaps wouldn't have done it if he had 'the choice'. That is a possibility, but we do not and cannot know. So don't tell me I'm interpreting everything about this dad as negatively as I can, because you know what? Right now I feel kinda bad for him too, in a way. I'm pretty sure he didn't want all this to happen and assumed 'buying her stuff' would endear his daughter to him (it's not enough), but I can't justify his actions or come to another conclusion than the fact he is a failure.

And there's no way that the girl could have just been a bitch? Some kids are just not respectful no matter what is done for them. Plenty of people have a lot given to them, but take advantage and don't give anything back. This is another thing that we don't know about.
The items might not have been to gain respect, but out of respect.

As for 'not paying attention to people's nicknames', why do you have to take that so literally? I was denying I was biased towards oneeye and take everything he says as a personal attack. If anything him complaining about that makes it seem an awful lot like he has more bias and problems towards me than the other way around. I also meant I do not carry grudges: I've been rude to Silverdream and simply dropped it in other threads and posts, and the same thing goes for oneeye.

You used IVHorseman's quote, then called ME an asshole for saying it. I would say that's petty biased. I've been trying to have a decent conversation with you without personal attacks, and only mentioned your personality as a person on this forum AFTER you had mentioned mine. After that, I've strayed away from it, including this post.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Pwnerade » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:10 am

Since I'm not a parent, I'm not going to criticize someone else's parenting methods, unless they are clearly being abusive. And no abuse can be seen from this video. Shooting the laptop does not indicate that he uses violence or threat of violence against his family. Shooting inanimate objects and harming another human being are very different things.

That's all. You may continue your bullshit.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
User avatar
Pwnerade
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Whiteagle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 am

Silverdream wrote:Image

This thread is now about penises.

Derpy D'AAAAWW!!!

Bragallot wrote:You're repeating yourself. She does not have this choice. How many options does a 16 year old who puts herself on the street have you think? Oh yeah, that's right, there's one.

Uh... didn't the father mention that at her age, he had left home, was working two jobs, going to high-school, and taking collage classes?

If that was the background he's coming from, I can understand why he'd be more then a little pissed about his daughter being an ungrateful bitch; He is a self-made man.
Of course he's mad at his daughter for complaining how "hard" she has it, he lived a far more challenging teen-aged life and that's what made him into the man he is today.
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests