Real Japanese Mecha available for sale

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Real Japanese Mecha available for sale

Postby Colette » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 pm

http://www.livescience.com/22007-japanese-robot-smile-command.html

Drives like Natalya's spider tank and features a gun that fires when the pilot smiles.

Discuss.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Re: Real Japanese Mecha available for sale

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:38 pm

And this, gentlemen, is what things like a Third World War would be waged with.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Thesson » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm

We're screwed!
Thesson
Dimmy

Postby Silverdream » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 pm

:iconcur: Close enough.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:And this, gentlemen, is what things like a Third World War would be waged with.

Yes, because such a vehicle would play such a CRUCIAL role in combat rolling along at the pace of a slow jog with a highly exposed cockpit... :roll:
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Robot Monkey wrote:And this, gentlemen, is what things like a Third World War would be waged with.

Yes, because such a vehicle would play such a CRUCIAL role in combat rolling along at the pace of a slow jog with a highly exposed cockpit... :roll:

Just imagine a horde of these things piloted by gamers. Whoever they'd be fighting would be screwed.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Colette » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:49 pm

WhiteEagle has a point- in order for a Mecha to be practical in a combat sense, it would have to be like a Knightmare, armed and armored like a tank but incredibly fast and therefore impossible to hit despite the cockpit's bad position.

IRL that role would probably be filled by an armored car.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:Yes, because such a vehicle would play such a CRUCIAL role in combat rolling along at the pace of a slow jog with a highly exposed cockpit... :roll:

Just imagine a horde of these things piloted by gamers. Whoever they'd be fighting would be screwed.

By... what exactly?
It's pathetic Airsoft-style armaments, which it probably uses because the arms are too weak to lift actual heavy weaponry?
The way it's designed to present the cockpit as a huge target perfect for RPG strikes?
Colette wrote:Whiteagle has a point- in order for a Mecha to be practical in a combat sense, it would have to be like a Knightmare, armed and armored like a tank but incredibly fast and therefore impossible to hit despite the cockpit's bad position.

IRL that role would probably be filled by an armored car.

Hell, there's nothing this thing can do that can't be done by a SINGLE INFANTRYMAN, let alone a well equipped squad.

Admittedly, a multiped combat vehicle would be very useful in urban or mountainous terrain... like in Japan... but it's far more likely to a more traditional spider tank; an armored box on legs with a turret on top.

Now, if these guys retooled this design for practical, real world application, then I'll be interested.
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 pm

[sarcasm] No, you'd send it to war armed with water bottles and BBs. [/sarcasm]

You'd replace the water bottle launcher and the BB minigun with a rocket launcher and a legitimate minigun, and then armor the cockpit. Very simple solutions to the problems you pointed out.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 pm

The purpose of a mecha is to have the armour and arms of a tank but the mobility of infantry. Once things like this get the mobility bit down we will start to see them. This one is slow because it has a weak engine.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Zupponn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 am

I'm not sure if I like a mecha over a tank or vice-versa yet. A mecha will rely on legs to move, meaning that the loss of one of those legs renders it immobile. But on the other hand, you could argue that a tanks treads suffer the same drawback, but with a tank being lower and more compact, the treads seem much easier to protect. Maybe a mecha could see practical use though as a different style of warmachine, rather than trying to replace tanks as I am thinking. Even then, what would win, a tank or a mecha?
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am

who cares. I just think it is fucking awesome.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 pm

The only really useful thing I see with it is the auto-target thing integrated into the HUD. Put that on a modern tank like an Abrams or T-90 and see how well this thing fights.

I understand that mecha are meant to be lightweight and mobile in most cases, but it just seems rather fragile. Of course the leg thing has already been addressed, but the armor around the cockpit and arms seems very thin, especially in comparison to the rounded, stronger plating on the legs. A few bursts from a heavy machine gun or vulcan could probably tear the upper torso to shreds. Adding extra armor to these areas would improve its survivability, but would make it slower and therefore an easier target. Adding a larger engine would perhaps increase the size and thus be counter-productive by reducing its mobility in a different fashion.

Personally, I could see it as a support unit, but not as a front-line combat unit. The auto-target and "smile-and-forget" feature seem to be the best parts.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Killer Karetsu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

I prefer skis and a rifle.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:[sarcasm] No, you'd send it to war armed with water bottles and BBs. [/sarcasm]

You'd replace the water bottle launcher and the BB minigun with a rocket launcher and a legitimate minigun, and then armor the cockpit. Very simple solutions to the problems you pointed out.

You do realise such armerments would be a helluva lot heavier, right?
Ben-Jammin wrote:The only really useful thing I see with it is the auto-target thing integrated into the HUD. Put that on a modern tank like an Abrams or T-90 and see how well this thing fights.

I understand that mecha are meant to be lightweight and mobile in most cases, but it just seems rather fragile. Of course the leg thing has already been addressed, but the armor around the cockpit and arms seems very thin, especially in comparison to the rounded, stronger plating on the legs. A few bursts from a heavy machine gun or vulcan could probably tear the upper torso to shreds. Adding extra armor to these areas would improve its survivability, but would make it slower and therefore an easier target. Adding a larger engine would perhaps increase the size and thus be counter-productive by reducing its mobility in a different fashion.

Personally, I could see it as a support unit, but not as a front-line combat unit. The auto-target and "smile-and-forget" feature seem to be the best parts.

Yeah, like I said, if this could be retooled into something that could actually do real work, then I'd be interested.
Right now it's just a super sub-compact car with "robotic arm" attachments and REALLY over done hydraulics.
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Next

Return to General Discussion