Old Lego / new Lego

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Re: Old Lego / new Lego

Post by Keldoclock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:30 pm

I really don't like the old heads except in moderation. I don't like having multiple soldiers with the same face, but I end up using the smiles because I have like fifteen of them. I end up compromising that no more than two soldiers in a squad should have the same face.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I love the new sets and themes. Not because I never owned the old stuff either... My first sets were things like Black Falcon's Fortress, Black Seas Barracuda, Forbidden Island, and other stuff from the 80s. Every year stuff gets better and better! I love the detailed heads, new bricks, etc. Peach figures are awesome! Ya, that's right, I said it... peaches fucking rule and your yellow dweebs DROOOOL! :twisted:

My least favorite sets are those stupid "box o' bricks" where they have some boneriffic looking brick built horse and a female torso + head + left over city construction worker orange legs that don't match at all but they had to get rid of them because they prolly have a quadrillion of them in their inventory. These sets are supposedly more creative... yet they are very limiting. I really don't care for what I can build out of 200 2x4 bricks.

The new sets have so much more interesting stuff and details. Take Black Falcon's Fortress for example compared to say the new Vampire Castle. Sure, BFF is a good sized building, it swings open so you can play inside, and that's about it.... there's NOTHING going on inside. It's devoid of any details or anything interesting. I saw the Vampire Castle all put together at the Lego store... blew my freak'n mind with it's awesomeness! There is sooooo much going on in like ever square inch. The design of the sets are clearly superior. All the new bits, props, weapons, food, etc. etc. add so much more to play with.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 am

I only have one Classic 'fig head, so I've been using him as a veteran.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Well I think to actually answer the question, we want to compare this:
morganm wrote:Black Falcon's Fortress is a good sized building, it swings open so you can play inside, and that's about it.
To this:
morganm wrote:I saw the Vampire Castle all put together at the Lego store... There is sooooo much going on in like every square inch. All the new bits, props, weapons, food, etc. etc. add so much more to play with.
And just compare those strict facts and see how we all feel about them. Having a bare interior encourages YOU to build things inside and play in there, and it swings open so that you can. Vampire Castle has all that stuff laid out for you in the instructions. Is that better? I honestly see both arguments here. I think most importantly, new legos still fit to your old ones. I've got old U.F.O. torso'd guys with new space-police helmets and modern printed heads. I have brikarms bazookas and all, but I still use the same camera/rifles that I've used since 1995 right next to them. Black Falcon's Fortress is still out there man - just now you can build it with weird new pieces too.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 am

Or get both sets and combine them into one awesome mega castle!!!

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Zuppon wins the thread.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Yeah, that was kind of my thought, too.

I've got a lot of older sets lying around (in pieces, mind you) - the original King's Castle and Knight's Castle were some of my first sets, and I have a fondness for the basic smiley head from that era, but... a bit of variety makes things more fun, and use of some of the more detailed heads allows you to give character to, well, characters...

That said, I need to find some good-quality yellow paint. I like the torsos and stuff from some of the Pirates of the Carribean and LOTR/Hobbit sets, but I need to mod them to work with the yellow heads. :twisted:

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 am

Scribonius wrote:and use of some of the more detailed heads allows you to give character to, well, characters
Clothes make the man. Almost all my champions are smileys, and even the most deep generals and diplomats are too. Basically,
-Unique and exotic armor= memorable character
-Cool head and ragged clothes= tramp
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 am

Scribonius wrote:That said, I need to find some good-quality yellow paint. I like the torsos and stuff from some of the Pirates of the Carribean and LOTR/Hobbit sets, but I need to mod them to work with the yellow heads. :twisted:
Nah. If they have peach bits showing, it's just because the yellow fig skinned a peach and made underclothes out of them.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Apparently a highlighter works wonders.