Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde, ikensall

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Re: New sets discussion (2014/15)

Post by Battlegrinder » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 am

Zahru II wrote:Getting back on track, the 2015 product catalog is up in German:

http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/de_de/1HY2015/

lots and lots of cool stuff to anticipate, woo!

Oh, those new star wars army builder packs look so cool.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Gosh darn it no pirates till april gor sharn it.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:40 pm

I am pretty sure that US and EU release dates are separate. Judging how ridiculously fast they're pushing out new stock over there, they might end up showing up on shelves a lot sooner.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Silent-sigfig wrote:
Voin wrote:
Silverdream wrote:I don't think it would make any sense for them to act like terrorists in order to get what they want, everyone knows you're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists.
I never said it was a good plan, but then again, if they were that smart, they wouldn't be kidnapping people in the first place. If you're gonna base your master scheme off movie, you should make sure it's not one where that scheme blows up horribly in the "mastermind's" face.

So watchmen then?
Spoiler
Show
Well, Rorschach got his journal out, and although it was cut from the movie, Ozymandias had those dreams of a black ship bearing down on him.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 pm

I read it too, 20 years ago.
So uhm... there was a black freighter huh?

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm limiting myself to 1 Taking-Out-The-Bins session every day, so we'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:22 pm

ikensall wrote:I'm limiting myself to 1 Taking-Out-The-Bins session every day, so we'll have to wait for tomorrow.
Is an intelligent discussion on Watchmen bin worthy? Voin's posts aren't that bad this time.
Image lol j/k

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:32 am

Technically The Bin is always the fittest topic, although I really can't be arsed to sort and move posts again in the same week, so enjoy the watchmen discussion.

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Post by Craigallot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

I'm kinda disappointed in the last Hobbit sets. The amount of sets is pretty low (the battle of five armies is 1 set, is this because of a contract that says they can only put out x amount of sets or something?) and some are very limited, in a 'the figs are the main appeal anyway, so we put less effort towards the rest' kind of way. Having Gwaihir as a POOP instead of a brick-built, somewhat larger eagle seems like a missed opportunity. So does not having (at the very least) the dwarven barricade, or any elf soldiers for that matter.

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I don't mind that the BOTFA set doesn't come with a shitton of a minifigs, since helms deep was lacking in gruntfigs as well - reality bites, set budgeting favors characters over mookfigs. What ruffles my feathers on the other hand is that TLG is showering us with battlepacks throughout all themes next year, you'd think the BOTFA wave would have a been a good excuse to do a dorf/elf/lakemen/ork-goblin-whatever they call them type of packs.
(I mean a trio of iron hill dorfs over that dumb witch king battle would have been ace, since it would have meant more stuff that was actually in the book and not just made up bullshit spectacle to pad out a story that has been stretched over three movies as thin as it could get - but I digress.)
Then again we did get a mirkwood elf troopbuilder and polybag, laketown guys are also present and also had a polybag, gundabad guys are kinda sprinkled into every set, and Thorin and it's crew kinda is numerous enough to check dorfs off the list (even though that's a little bullshitty regarding Dain's crew). So if you were a fan of the theme you probably already have enough figs to boost up your BOTFA box, which is shitty reasoning but end of the day TLG is a company seeking profit, so pay up nerds I guess!

back to topic - Brickset got a review copy of the detective's office and it looks SO GOOD: http://brickset.com/article/13564/revie ... e-s-office
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Craigallot

Post by Craigallot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Myeah, if those battle packs included enough parts as well, that is. Like the 'Uruk Hai Army' set, that would be a good example of a mix of parts and figs to me. The orc one could (have) come with one of those sweet troll-mounted catapults, for instances. That tower and the thing they're using to issue orders to their army would have made a nice set as well. And what about those giant earth worms? Elves with carriages? Men with a small refugee camp? Dwarves with... Well, that one is kinda tougher. Some kind of interactive battlefield that lets them drop rocks on people or whatever might have been nice. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear if they were restricted to only making such a small number of sets.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:18 am

Voin wrote:Yeah, the siege-trolls with trebuchets on their backs was one of the coolest things in the trailer.
They were catapults, but okay.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:54 pm

You're both right, but Voin is more right. The trolls have trebuchets on their backs, which are types of catapult.

Also, they're not just in the trailer, they're in the movie.

What I'd really like to see from the hobbit is
Spoiler
Show
horned Dwarf and his warpig.
I don't care how lego does it, that character was the best part of the movie.
Image lol j/k

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 am

I would definitely have done the sets differently. I'm assuming same price point and fig count.

The largest set, The Lonely Mountain, should have been Laketown burning, as it was the coolest part of the movie. You could include Bard, Bain, Alfrid, and some laketown villagers. And Smaug.

The witch-King battle could have been Azog's Command Tower. Include Azog, Tauriel, and an armored orc.

The actual laketown set could be set in Dale. 2 orcs, Bilbo, and 2 other figs(elvish soldiers or lakemen or something)

The Battle of the five armies should have been the gates of the lonely mountain. King Thorin, Dain Ironfoot, 2 dwarf soldiers, an orc or two, and two other dwarves. Probably Balin or Dwalin,since they're the only two that talk.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Craigallot

Post by Craigallot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:31 am

Good thinking. The part where Bard hits that half-troll (I'm guessing that's what it was, what are those things supposed to be anyway?) with a cart also seemed like a good set opportunity, or at least something they could have included in another.