Construction Techniques for the needy!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Carrnevil9 wrote:This is IV's thread though, and my interpretation of his words don't mean jack.
wrong. i started this, but this thread is a community thread. therefore, everyone's thread. it was intended as a place to ask how to get specifics down, for example, how to build sturdy reverse joint legs for a mech, as opposed to how to build a mech.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 pm

erm are there any good ways to build hills without haveing a very lardge # of basic bricks other than books'n'blankets

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:18 pm

raised baseplates. if you're looking for much taller than that, you need more briks, or textbooks and blankets. or you know. go to a game store and waste your money on molded terrain.

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:51 pm

One thing I've seen done before is using duplo blocks to give better structure/use less bricks to get it higher. Sounds cheap, I know, but it works.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 am

That's right. Lay down Duplo foundations, and then put 2x2 and 2x4 Lego bricks on top to cover up the Duplo studs.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm

ok thanks a lot, I wanted to know because I am haveing a king of the hill type brikwars battle soon

Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Post by Tiny Tank Rannon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Saber Scorpion has a mecha design with legs that are perfect for sentinals, I wish I could link to his site, but it's not loading on my computer.

It's in his Nova refudge Section, it's the blue guys, I think they were victory or something.

EDIT: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/10516
found it on mocpages.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:35 pm

rare part warning! those legs are great, but they use parts from modern bionicles, or something of the whole ball-and-joint family. i'll admit it's a good blend of regular legos with bionicle pieces (a rare talent indeed), but those legs took a lot of the feel of legos away from me.

Tuefish
Dimmy

Post by Tuefish » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 am

JoeTrillion:I like this guys idea on using x-pod's.
I had an idea to use the x-pods as a holding cage, like the one on the tripod in the tom cruise war of the worlds.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds

Joetrillion
Officer

Post by Joetrillion » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:37 am

Can someone help me,im trying to make a fast attack type squad.
I've done some speeders but i wanted to try make something like these warhammer bike's
yeah i know there just bike's :? but i want the bikes to have the military look.oh yeah and i need them to be common part's so i can mass produce em'.
(edit)this is exactly what im going for but its rare part's to make it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=69906

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:38 am

that doesn't look like it use too outlandish parts, you can probably substitute many of thos parts anyway if you don't have them.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm

how many technic parts do you have?

there's those beams with lots of holes, which will give you plenty of axle options. i also suggest technic Big Fat Yellow Tyres.

after this, you'll want to plug this right into a standard brick base though. find a good connecter piece, and you're set.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Not exactly a construction question, but does anyone know a set that has good treads? i've finished the tank that i started this forum to ask about how to build the turret rotater (oh. my. god. it is HUGE.)(that's what she said), and all it needs is some good, fat treads.

actually, a fairly constructionesque question as well: how exactly do treads work in building? do you link each tread individually like a real man, or do you get pre-defined length rubber ones that are lame? also, is it just a simple wheel and axle assembly, or is it more complicated?

EDIT: this tank is... about 9 inches long. i need treads to cover the whole length, and perhaps overlapping a little bit couldn't hurt.

EDIT EDIT: i'm also hoping for a fairly cheap set too. just as long as i get something with treads and a little bonus, without spending 200 bucks.

Joetrillion
Officer

Post by Joetrillion » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:11 am

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... cn=57&d=70
Ok so maybe that's too much but there's no real set's that have tread's in anymore
PS:http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... =240&d=322don't know if it's on sale in the usa.
By the way use bricklink so you don't get any unusable part's.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:40 am

Joetrillion wrote:http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... cn=57&d=70
Ok so maybe that's too much but there's no real set's that have tread's in anymore
PS:http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... =240&d=322don't know if it's on sale in the usa.
By the way use bricklink so you don't get any unusable part's.
I bought a TIE-Crawler on ebay exclusively for the treads. It was an unopened set, so I thought I was safe, but when I started building it, it was missing parts almost immediately. Turns out I was missing about a quarter of it's components, like an entire bag was absent.

That was two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for LEGO to ship replacements.