Rogue One Star Wars Sets, insane prices!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Rogue One Star Wars Sets, insane prices!

Postby TastySkippy123 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Was going to buy this today.

It was 90AU$.

In my eyes that is an outrageous price for a set that comes with four mini figures and a bit of a structure. Star Wars lego has always been expensive, but  never this expensive!  :fist:

Maybe someone might have some explanation? I don't know. Looks like I won't be buying any Star Wars at this rate :(
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Re: Rogue One Star Wars Sets, insane prices!

Postby Captain-Camper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Jeez that's crazy for a pretty small Lego set!
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby Silverdream » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 pm

It is terrible. As I understand it, licensed sets (ones that are based off of an existing IP) cost more money than a set with the same number of pieces because of licensing fees. LEGO has to pay money in order to make Star Wars products.
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby TheCraigfulOne » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 pm

That comes out to around $65usd, which seems odd since I've seen the rogue one hover tank for around $30usd. It seems to me the problem is with whoever is selling you Lego.
TheCraigfulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train

Postby Vami IV » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:24 am

He's not wrong:

Who the hell are you buying a $65.84 set from? Seems like shipping and handling could be a big reason why its so damn expensive.
Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Postby TastySkippy123 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:33 am

None of the big chain stores(We have Big W, Target, Myre) had the set, so it was a local toy store. I think that explains a fair bit.
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Postby TheCraigfulOne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:31 am

Probably, small stores are always more expensive. I usually buy my Lego at Target.
TheCraigfulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train

Postby stubby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 am

Australian and NZ Lego prices have always been nuts, at least since I started paying attention back in the nineties. Sometimes they line up with the rest of the world, sometimes they're double or triple, nobody seems to know why. For a long time I think there was trouble with a patchwork network of distributors, and some license agreements have completely different terms in Australia than elsewhere.

From working at other companies in the toy industry I know that a lot of companies license their toys to somebody else entirely to sell in Australia because it doesn't make any sense. A couple of times I was able to make extra cash freelancing for the Australian versions of the companies I was already working at full-time in the U.S.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby dilanski » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

stubby wrote:Australian and NZ Lego prices have always been nuts, at least since I started paying attention back in the nineties. Sometimes they line up with the rest of the world, sometimes they're double or triple, nobody seems to know why. For a long time I think there was trouble with a patchwork network of distributors, and some license agreements have completely different terms in Australia than elsewhere.

From working at other companies in the toy industry I know that a lot of companies license their toys to somebody else entirely to sell in Australia because it doesn't make any sense. A couple of times I was able to make extra cash freelancing for the Australian versions of the companies I was already working at full-time in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure that LEGOs pricing can be patchy everywhere that isn't the US. I've had to double take a few times at prices here, and found the conversions to be a little off, even pre sterling meltdown.

I forget where I heard it, but it has been mentioned that TLG keeps the US prices down to be more competitive and grow their market share in the states, while elsewhere they dominate the toy market from a more secure position so are less competitive on pricing. Anyone know if this is actually valid, or just someones wild speculation?
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby RedRover » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:25 pm

dilanski wrote:I forget where I heard it, but it has been mentioned that TLG keeps the US prices down to be more competitive and grow their market share in the states, while elsewhere they dominate the toy market from a more secure position so are less competitive on pricing. Anyone know if this is actually valid, or just someones wild speculation?

I hope not because that is bad news for the future of prices.
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby Darkstorm » Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 pm

I had been wanting to order more legos, so I checked Lego.com, and found the set on sale in the "may the fourth be with you" sale they had on. That set caught my eye, so I looked at it- the price, if I remember correctly, was lowered to 35 dollars. I looked at the price and said..."nah."
Barely worth 35 U.S. $, in my opinion. :|
I got the AT-ST, it seemed good and was on sale, so hey, may as well. Still 32$ though. Got a battle pack too. and some pick-a-brick. Ohh boy, is Lego expensive these days.

Geez.  :fist:
The craigness is coming... Craigstorm will rise! Craig to all who oppose us!
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
What craigs, but has no craig, yet craigs all that craigs?
Some say the answer is craig, but only few know the real Craig. Soon, all will craig. Craigstorm is coming. :warhead:
Darkstorm
oh god

Return to Bricks