lack of new playthemes?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

lack of new playthemes?

Postby Brikguy0410 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm

lego seems to not have very many right now- the products page on the website is mostly licensed properties or shit like creator, Technic etc. all they seem to have right now is ninjago and nexo knights any idea why this is?
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Re: lack of new playthemes?

Postby sahasrahla » Fri May 26, 2017 9:49 pm

i guess they realized they can make a lot more money if they run a theme for 3+ years with cartoons and shit
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Postby Darkstorm » Sat May 27, 2017 7:32 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:lego seems to not have very many right now- the products page on the website is mostly licensed properties or shit like creator, Technic etc. all they seem to have right now is ninjago and nexo knights any idea why this is?

At least with Nexo Knights we can get a lot more OT crystals...
The craigness is coming... Craigstorm will rise! Craig to all who oppose us!
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
What craigs, but has no craig, yet craigs all that craigs?
Some say the answer is craig, but only few know the real Craig. Soon, all will craig. Craigstorm is coming. :warhead:
Darkstorm
oh god

Postby Zahru II » Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 am

It's a busy year for TLG with two movies bookending the year - I'm gonna guess it's conscious planning/trying not to overextend/oversaturate themselves.

Pretty sure there was an article about them pruning themes due to the rampant rate of growth+demand, about a year or so ago...
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Darkstorm » Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 am

I did notice that many themes had been discontinued... meh :|
The craigness is coming... Craigstorm will rise! Craig to all who oppose us!
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
What craigs, but has no craig, yet craigs all that craigs?
Some say the answer is craig, but only few know the real Craig. Soon, all will craig. Craigstorm is coming. :warhead:
Darkstorm
oh god

Postby Tzan » Sat May 27, 2017 9:01 am

Zahru II wrote: it's conscious planning/trying not to oversaturate themselves.

Hmm ... I was just going to write something here, but then I just realized I didn't want that to be my new rank.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby dilanski » Sun May 28, 2017 5:29 pm

It has gotten kind of boring, especially as I'm no longer willing to pay licensing premium unless the model itself is special (e.g. Yellow Submarine), and am not really a fan of the current, and pretty longstanding themes. At the same time, buying lego sets for parts is inefficient, and all the really interesting models are in the Ideas, Creator, Architecture lines. Play value no longer grabs me, so I just feel like I am no longer the audience for those sets. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my architecture and ideas sets for just looking pretty swish on display. Basically, lack of new play themes isn't an issue.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby Scribonius » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:48 pm

dilanski wrote:It has gotten kind of boring, especially as I'm no longer willing to pay licensing premium unless the model itself is special (e.g. Yellow Submarine), and am not really a fan of the current, and pretty longstanding themes. At the same time, buying lego sets for parts is inefficient, and all the really interesting models are in the Ideas, Creator, Architecture lines. Play value no longer grabs me, so I just feel like I am no longer the audience for those sets. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my architecture and ideas sets for just looking pretty swish on display. Basically, lack of new play themes isn't an issue.

Yeah, I can understand this. I mostly just pick up minifig blisters and the occasional set that catches my eye. Lately, the pick-a-brick bins are more attractive than the available sets. I like some of the city sets, but I do mostly castle and pirate-aimed themes. Nexo Knights doesn't actually interest me that much. The Ninjago Sky Pirates were fun, but most of the line just feels a little lacking. I bought Chima sets to use the minifigs as monsters for my Castle stuff. Personally I'm hoping they'll build on some of the minifigs they put out recently and do another fantasy themed Castle line, or maybe a new Dark Forest line, but I don't see it happening soon. :P
Scribonius
Cannon Fodder

Postby Captain-Camper » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:45 pm

I would enjoy a good castle theme not the gaudy nexo theme
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby TastySkippy123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:I would enjoy a good castle theme not the gaudy nexo theme

Same, but like Scribonius said, they probably won't be doing that anytime soon. If they did I reckon it would be pretty popular though.
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Postby Captain-Camper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 am

Imagine a more traditional samurai theme! That would be sweet!
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby Scribonius » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:Imagine a more traditional samurai theme! That would be sweet!

Oooh, yeah! We haven't had a generic Samurai/Ninja theme for a long time now! I'd buy that! Especially if we get some Sengoku Jidai era Warrior Monks!
Scribonius
Cannon Fodder

Return to Bricks