Heavy Modification

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Stuff Is Possible
Hero
Location: Corona, California, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Universe.

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:15 pm

The walls look very good and so do those ruins, nice use of moss. 8)
Do you dare doubt the possibility?!

DaCoda
Champion
Champion

Post by DaCoda » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks. I'm actually sad that my next project won't need any flocking. It's such a nice and easily achieved effect.

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:25 pm

DaCoda wrote:Thanks. I'm actually sad that my next project won't need any flocking. It's such a nice and easily achieved effect.
Hm. I would assume you play some other wargame, such as Warhammer/ 40k? Cause Flocking is pretty common in those.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

DaCoda
Champion
Champion

Post by DaCoda » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Nope. My love of terrain is independent of any one game. I just love creating it. The challenge of making something that is artistic, but also strategically fun, and usable in a game is always enjoyable. I found wargames through HeroScape, which is like wargamming's boneriffic brother. I then found the Clix games which are only marginally better. Found the hardcore ones Games Workshop, Crockodile Games, and Privateer Press, then started doing stuff and talking on Terragenesis.co.uk. There is a thread there about these as well. I do like flocking. rarely get to though. I don't have the storage for a lot of stuff. That's why I do lego. My brothers make for good accomplices on the storage part. Plus it's a good bonding thing. My next project are foamcore buildings that work with lego. Foamcore is the thickness of a one stud. So I say why not make walls from it and use a lot less one by fours. Not very easy for breaking, but much prettier when I'm done, and it allows me to do entire cities with minimal cost. I'm sure it's a Lego Sin, which I seem to commit on a regular bases lately, but it's cost effective way to make very strategic and fun fields. Plus it will all be stud friendly using lots of base plates as roofs, and gluing the buldings to a single layer of one by four so that after it's all spackled and painted it looks like a wall of them with holes on the bottom. It will make more sense when I post concept sketches.

Stuff Is Possible
Hero

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 pm

DaCoda wrote:Nope. My love of terrain is independent of any one game. I just love creating it. The challenge of making something that is artistic, but also strategically fun, and usable in a game is always enjoyable. I found wargames through HeroScape, which is like wargamming's boneriffic brother. I then found the Clix games which are only marginally better. Found the hardcore ones Games Workshop, Crockodile Games, and Privateer Press, then started doing stuff and talking on Terragenesis.co.uk. There is a thread there about these as well. I do like flocking. rarely get to though. I don't have the storage for a lot of stuff. That's why I do lego. My brothers make for good accomplices on the storage part. Plus it's a good bonding thing. My next project are foamcore buildings that work with lego. Foamcore is the thickness of a one stud. So I say why not make walls from it and use a lot less one by fours. Not very easy for breaking, but much prettier when I'm done, and it allows me to do entire cities with minimal cost. I'm sure it's a Lego Sin, which I seem to commit on a regular bases lately, but it's cost effective way to make very strategic and fun fields. Plus it will all be stud friendly using lots of base plates as roofs, and gluing the buldings to a single layer of one by four so that after it's all spackled and painted it looks like a wall of them with holes on the bottom. It will make more sense when I post concept sketches.
Sounds cool, I look forward to seeing it. I might have to start painting my old megabloks, nobody in my house uses them. :)

DaCoda
Champion
Champion

Post by DaCoda » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Yeah, and be sure to share. I'm planning a simple short article on tips to making more artistic terrain and keeping it stud friendly. I plan to share it at Terragenesis, but I can post it here as well. I'll be planning a simple layout soon to show how it's all done. I get paid on Friday. I'll start then.

Stuff Is Possible
Hero

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:42 am

Widigo?

DaCoda
Champion
Champion

Post by DaCoda » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah, It was Windigo when I made it for a forum years ago. Either they messed up or I did because it became that. It stuck throughout the years. I'm Widigo in a lot of places. DaCoda's my real name and spelling.

Stuff Is Possible
Hero

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh.