Heavy Cruiser Wyrd

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Professor Ken
Officer

Heavy Cruiser Wyrd

Post by Professor Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 pm

This is my latest, and largest, MOC, the Heavy Cruiser Wyrd.

Nicknamed the "Upturned Lunchbox", this prototype is the first large ship I've made. Needless to say, its construction is a little crude, but it is very large, measuring 46 studs long with the engines.

Yes, she does pop open, with 2 fully fitted decks and a roof. This is the bottom deck, the gun deck, with 6 2-inch (2d10 damage) cruiser guns. Note the engine room and the armory to stern and bow, respectively.

This is the primary flight deck and bridge, complete with two 3-inch (3d10) battleship guns.

This is the secondary flight deck and turret gallery, with 4 2-inch cruiser guns and 2 3-inch battleship guns.

This is the bridge, manned by one helmsman, one computer gunner, one marine and one arrogant French Space Programme commander, Vivicus de Chaval, better known as "The Insulting Frenchman".

This is a view of the armory and gun deck as seen from the forward cargo hatch. This area is a liability for boarders, so extra security is present in the form of a weapons officer.

This is the secondary flight deck; full-size fighters can piggyback up here, to be launched within moments of enemy contact. Shown here is the Rainbow Viper, and its pilot Lord Tony.

This ship is only a prototype; I intend to blow it to bits in my next Brikwars game, and make something a little more gainly from its debris. (It's hogging all of my blue 2x4's, as well as most of my plates!)
Were it that simple...

Tarren
Dimmy

Post by Tarren » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:09 pm

You're missing some Rainbow Knights on that ship.
Silverdream wrote:As you can see the majority of sex workers in BC are not only children, but aboriginal children. It's mostly because we treat them like shit.

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Yes, I know, disgustingly rainbow. What about it? If you prefer aesthetics to size, you can go look up my "Emerald Thunder" MOC, which is delightfully monochromatic. Otherwise, you can contemplate the potential for a 9-gun rainbow broadside this thing can deliver with a whopping 21d10 damage.

So, I've got to ask: are you feeling LUCKY, punk?
Were it that simple...

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 pm

nah not rainbow, and i should know, its just a bright primary color. if when you redesign it go to a one level frame and stretch it out. it should help you save plates
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 pm

That's actually a pretty good idea; then, I can simply convert the roof space into an open hangar, and save on plates. I'll be sure to consider that modification after the big space battle I'm starting to plan.
Were it that simple...

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 pm

it looks very unfinnished. keep lookig at it for a few days and add stuff, then show us again.

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:59 pm

My artistic style revolves around a conservative and exact use of materials; by not adding a million distracting features, I make it simple to admire the individual details. I could spend an extra thirty dollars and add lots of bits and pieces, but I'd rather use them to build another ship.

Besides, this ship fulfills my requirements; it can carry several minifighters and a full-size fighter into battle, and provide heavy weapon support for them. Weapons and warships need do nothing else, as they are designed solely for function.
Were it that simple...

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 am

Despite the rainbow color, I like it; the easy access to the interior means there's a lot of playability in the design. You should build some more fighters to fit in the launch bay to make it even more fun...

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 am

No criticism here but to me it looks incomplete. Like it's waiting for a front and back perhaps. I like what there is so far though, I like it's abilities, the fighter and the below deck storage with drop down hatch/door. The guns remind me of old style broadsides in the age of sail or the side guns on an old WWII flying fortress, cool.

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm

@Theblackdog: I do actually have a good number of small fighters I've recently constructed, but I've been debating whether or not to launch them from this ship or not. They're unmanned drones, so it seems like a bit of a waste to launch them from a fully-equipped hangar.

@Warhead: Heh, thanks. I was actually thinking about making a more rounded design, but after I ran very low on blue bricks and plates I figured that I couldn't make a larger ship without having to get really rainbow with it.
Were it that simple...

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:22 pm

I don't like bionicle parts on the top.