Lego doodles POST THEM

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Re: Lego doodles POST THEM

Postby Captain-Camper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:12 pm

ikensall wrote:Late night lego ramble inbound...

Spoiler: show
Captain-Camper wrote:Small Project to pass the time!
So I recently rewatched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and i soon fell in love with the Tolmekian tank design! so I decided to build my own in lego.
Here are my reference pictures
Good Front View
The only side pic of these tanks i could find! they're down to the left of plane
Pretty good action shot

And here's mine
Comments and critiques welcome

The tank in the film looks a little like the Hungarian Zrinyi assault gun:
Spoiler: show
Image (may or may not be a useful second reference?)

In my opinion whilst the second revision has more slopeyness, the first casemate design is cleaner to look at.

There are no holes here whatsoever which is good, the only point of contention is the 1x1 tiles not looking like a single sheet of metal as intended. However with lego, building up a surface to look like a single slanted piece/sheet of metal using lots of little plates and cheese wedges (as per the second revision) is normally a losing battle.

Even if you do get something that could look as if it's a single plate of armour (there will always be awkward overlaps/ steps between your plates that are not going to look smooth), getting the surfaces around it to sit flush and align nicely is now super hard to make work (which leads to holes as discussed before).

Now obviously the first version's tiled front doesn't look like it's made out of a single sheet of armour, but that's okay because it still looks intentional, as if the surface is supposed to have been put together from lots of overlaid smaller plates in the factory (with anime tanks you're allowed some artistic liscence I feel).

Take this* rendition of another Ghibli tank, where the turret quite obviously doesn't look like the rounded original. Here the turret (in contrast to the curved sides which were justabout doable in lego) is quite obviously not smoothly sloped. However it doesn't look like he's fucked up the turret because he's quite obviously (especially by using studs all over rather than tiles) gone for that look, and succeeded in getting it, rather than trying  to make it look like a smooth sphere - practically impossible to do seamlessly when you're building with bricks that all have 8 corners.

This is all just my opinion on the matter and you should build how you want to build but don't forget lego is primarily sticking cuboids together, and that sometimes calls for compromises.  :phil:

The two things about the first casemate that nag me are the gun (which you fixed in rendition 2, long barrels are for statpadders) and the 1x1 stud on the jumper plate by the gun; what does it do? IMO the empty hole with nothing on it looks better as a gunner's sight, or maybe a 1x1 lever base for a view port if you've got one in dark grey. The pith helmet as a gun mantlet works well I think, and I like the top & sides of the first casemate a lot... also interested to see how you try the lower glacis.

* I feel like if you're building in dark grey brown goes really well, you get quite a mean looking tank as well.

Thank you so much for your advice! The lego tank you linked was a direct inspiration for the first castmate. I enjoyed the studded armor of the original as it reminds me the work ghibli more but i feel as though the second version is the better tank with far superior lines. the reason why cheese slopes are on that is due to the fact of how i built the chassis. I'm really proud of my use of the pith helmet and the lower glacis is annoying me right now so i'll have that done in the near future.
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 am

Have you tried wrapping a cape around the pith helmet? If you can find a place to mount it, it m ight look good
AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:42 am

double posts seem to be the fashion around here

ImageWIP tank by Zebra The Annoyed, on Flickr
I to am in the process of constructing a tank

It is inspired by soviet/russian tanks. probably has an autoloader and thick frontal armour. It will be designed for use in mass attacks rather than in defensive situations or ambushes, hence the bright colours for shock and awe

ImageWIP tank by Zebra The Annoyed, on FlickrZebra The Annoyed
The shit tier photography can be blamed on the use of a chromebook's built in camera

Image[/url]WIP tank by Zebra The Annoyed, on Flickr
AnnoyedZebra

Postby RedRover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am

This has potential to be a good build!
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby Kommander Ken » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 am

Totally forgot to post this on the forums yesterday, but it's totally on Instawham right now. This one's for you, Quantum.  :wink:

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket, Claus."
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby sahasrahla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 am

yessssss

i want that as a forum battle
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Postby Captain-Camper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

AnnoyedZebra wrote:double posts seem to be the fashion around here

I to am in the process of constructing a tank

It is inspired by soviet/russian tanks. probably has an autoloader and thick frontal armour. It will be designed for use in mass attacks rather than in defensive situations or ambushes, hence the bright colours for shock and awe

ImageWIP tank by Zebra The Annoyed, on FlickrZebra The Annoyed
The shit tier photography can be blamed on the use of a chromebook's built in camera

Image[/url]WIP tank by Zebra The Annoyed, on Flickr

Looking pretty good
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby ikensall » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:Thank you so much for your advice! The lego tank you linked was a direct inspiration for the first castmate. I enjoyed the studded armor of the original as it reminds me the work ghibli more but i feel as though the second version is the better tank with far superior lines. the reason why cheese slopes are on that is due to the fact of how i built the chassis. I'm really proud of my use of the pith helmet and the lower glacis is annoying me right now so i'll have that done in the near future.

Fairs, good luck with it.
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Postby Archduke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Archduke
Minifig

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Kommander Ken wrote:Totally forgot to post this on the forums yesterday, but it's totally on Instawham right now. This one's for you, Quantum.  

Amazeballs.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Silent-sigfig » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Liking the tankage going on
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Postby Captain-Camper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Have we reached maximum tankage yet or is it like dakka?
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby TastySkippy123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 am

Captain-Camper wrote:Le Double post
Just a quick update on the tolmekian tank

I like the use of the helmet piece for the barrel! Very resourceful.
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:34 pm

ImageMore turret stuff by Zebra The Annoyed, on Flickr
getting more abrams esque

ImageMore turret stuff by Zebra The Annoyed, on Flickr
Another shot of the internal structure
AnnoyedZebra

Postby TheVengefulOne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:14 pm