Lego doodles POST THEM

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Re: Lego doodles POST THEM

Post by alphafalcon541 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 am

I bet Stubby has one built but just won't show it off.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am

Bragallot wrote:because you could hardly ever field something like that and still have a proper army to oppose it (and you'd need a freakin' big battlefield), or just have a battle where the AC is alone and stomps everything else.
Not to mention, I don't think I'd even want to field the damn thing (which I would only against someone else with one in their own army or, as you said, something of similar power). That's got to take a lot of hours to put together. I realize it can be therapeutic to smash apart things you've created. I understand it can teach you the value of things or the proper place of materialism. Blah, blah, blah. But I'm materialistic as fuck. I couldn't invest that much time and effort into something just to see it ruined for a moment's amusement. That's what tanks and things are for. Still an investment, not a midlife crisis. I can see building one for the joy of building but I've got better things to do with my time than to sit and rebuild the fucker for several more hours while I giggle to myself about how cool it was, how totally sweet, when that guy punched a hole through my AC with that imaginary OT Super Laser. Then cry when I find out I forgot to take pics of that turn in my excitement so I can't show all my cool friends on teh intanetz.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 am

Colette wrote:Briktopia is about to become another major brikverse superpower...
Hehe, i had thought about adding a definition of Brikverse Superpower to the wiki before. In order to be considered as superpower a faction must have at least two of the following:
6. a SHIP
7. an Armored Core
8. a SHDT
9. a humongous amount of minifigs and/or vehicles

I think according to that the Assyrians and the Immortals certainly qualify. Who else? The Stranians and the 37th Union? Hm, and what about medieval/fantasy superpowers...? :phil:
alphafalcon541 wrote:can't be that hard to make
O rly? I beg to differ. I couldn't build anything like that on my own. Not to speak of the number of parts needed. I dare you to look up Brian Cooper's other mocs. He's got talent and he was nice enough
to share the instructions for one of his creations.
Bragallot wrote: Personally I don't get this whole 'I need to build this so my faction can be the uber strongest' [...]
The reason I'd never build an AC [...] is because you could hardly ever field something like that and still have a proper army to oppose it (and you'd need a freakin' big battlefield)[...]
I am not going to build the AC to make my faction uber strongest but because it's just an awesome thing to display and have. Will it ever see play? Probably not, but then again you never know.
I have wargaming friends who have bought the UCS Imperial Shuttle and we play Brikwars from time to time, so...
Colette wrote:... the $20 instructions (do you have them Apollyon by the way?) but gathering the pieces would be a monumental effort of time and bricklink-scouring
Yes, i bought them last year already. When i finally started sorting my bricks yesterday i thought it was time to try them out. I am not finished yet but judging from building the head i do not have many of those i need, especially not in the right colours. It will take more time to sort and compare what i have with the master parts list and the instructions before i even know which ones to buy. :-) I want to get
it finished in the course of this year though and i made a nice excel sheet, too, so i will later be able to tell what it cost. It's going to be 200€-300€ i guess. :roll:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I couldn't invest that much time and effort into something just to see it ruined for a moment's amusement.
This shouldn't really be a concern to anyone unless you decide to reduce your mocs into a complete rubble of bricks. My Vindicator SHDT has sustained quite some damage when it saw battle but it was easy enough to repair. Besides the AC's inner technic frame is near indestructible. If it falls off the table only bits of the armor will fall off. I guess Natalya can say more about that.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am

Hm, and what about medieval/fantasy superpowers...? :phil:
Did anyone say 'Kingdom of Medivo / Westeron?' :warhead:

The superpowers to me are the factions who have so much influence and reputation, they're very prominent. I'd consider the Assyrian Empire and Brittanian League superpowers because of their many appearances and how they're spread throughout the Brikverse (read: everyone's collections).
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 am

Bragallot wrote: The superpowers to me are the factions who have so much influence and reputation, they're very prominent. I'd consider the Assyrian Empire and Brittanian League superpowers because of their many appearances and how they're spread throughout the Brikverse (read: everyone's collections).
Yes, there is certainly a difference between having a huge/awesome looking faction on your shelf and having a faction that gets adopted by other players, thus shaping the Brikverse canon. Canonical Powers?? :-)
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 am

We probably shouldn't overthink this, but I see it as a difference between power (what you have at your command) and influence (the influence exerted by this power). You could have a lot of 'power', but if the power isn't utilized, it wouldn't help you to get 'influence.' For example someone posted this massive, awesome Greek-inspired army a while back, but sadly we haven't seen them in battle, so most people will have probably forgotten about them...
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Scratch
Reihawk

Post by Scratch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

I think that the Influence may be akin to the Imperialism, which makes a lot of sense for the Brittanians.
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.
All you have to do is flatten his head.
Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.
Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm

I still don't think charging money for MOC instructions is 'ethical'.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Pfft. Influence. Lulz.

But I take your point. I'd say the only real way to measure that is in appearances. And even then, I'm sure I'd consider the owning player's inclusions to be more important than guest appearances made in other players' games. Not that those don't have weight, especially if the owning player approves, but I just can't see them as being anywhere on the same level. You have control of your army, your camera, and your imagination. If you also have time and energy, you can tell stories about them yourself. On the other hand, your faction is nothing more than a convenient plot device to someone else...or an attempt to curry favor with you for whatever goddamn reason it is that kids do that here. The exception here, obviously, is collaboration. If you have a guiding hand in the story that's being told, it makes it partially yours and I think you should get points for that. Not like, points, god forbid, but props.

The thing about our canon here is that literally everyone drives it. We all have "canonical power." I mean, there's just one person who can put a kebosh on anything you come up with, no matter how stupid. That wiki is open to anyone with the will to use it. Hell, I've come up with three star empires, one of which is actually written, that I don't have a single minifig for yet. I mean, when I'm stupid rich, I'll remedy that for sure but I went ahead and took down the idea because its a decent one. Besides, there are lots of concepts we've canon for and no real physical representation for. A huge chunk of the reason the Scythian forces are among my favorite factions in the BrikVerse has more to do with Shadowscythe's Shorts than anything else. So, in the end, I think your faction's influence is going to be a real hard thing to measure. Kinda comes down to: Have an idea, share an idea in writing or pictures or both, do some shit with the idea in writing or pictures or both. Influence.

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Apollyon wrote: In order to be considered as superpower a faction must have at least two of the following:
6. a SHIP
7. an Armored Core
8. a SHDT
9. a humongous amount of minifigs and/or vehicles
Huh... so my force could only take #9 into account, and even then, they'd mostly be armed with spears and swords... I've got a lot of muskets and such from the classic pirate sets, but with over 400 minifigs at my disposal, I don't think I can arm all of them that way.

So, out of curiosity, I am apparently a little behind on my terminology. What are SHIP and SHDTs? (assuming that SHIP isn't actually a ship?)

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 pm

SHDT = Super Heavy Death Tank
I think.

Scratch
Reihawk

Post by Scratch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:47 pm

SHIP is a space ship over 100 studs in length, its an acronym for Significantly Huge Investment In Parts, referring to the amount of ABS needed to make one.
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.
All you have to do is flatten his head.
Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.
Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Tzan wrote:SHDT = Super Heavy Death Tank
I think.
I thin STD is Super Death Tank, while SHDT refers to a Super Hover Death Tank. That being said, I think a STD gives you plenty of power, as well.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Just a quick doodle I put together for the heck of it...

The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Oh right, hover.

SHIP = Significantly Huge Investment In Penis