Mech Instructions (Secrets of the Clans and Inner Sphere)

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde, ikensall

MicVash
Officer

Mech Instructions (Secrets of the Clans and Inner Sphere)

Post by MicVash » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 pm

While I haven't built a mech in ages, I always love to browse through people's creations and concept art. I dug up this site I used to visit a couple years ago called brickcommander.com. The guy's name is Primus and he's built a lot of cool stuff in the mechwarrior and battletech universe. He has many of his creations saved digitally and available for download.

http://www.brickcommander.com/DA-Frameset.htm

Just click on Download on the left toolbar. He uses LDraw for his designs, it's available for free to download too, and you'll need that to play around with the models.

Not only are there a lot of mech designs but some really cool vehicle designs too. The tanks are pretty wicked.

So if you ever wanted some bad@ss killing machines in your army but didn't know where to start, or were looking for some fresh designs, here ya go! This is what you could accomplish!

All Images by Adam Grabowski

The Mangonel:

Ryoken II:

The Eyrie:

Dragonfire666666
Officer

Post by Dragonfire666666 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Sweet! These are just what I'm looking for!

Thanks,
Dragonfire

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Silverdream wrote:JESUS CHROIST!
These mechs would dominate anything other than the AC.
orbital strike.

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm

READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 am

I'm massing bricks to make a squad of 6 targes-
Targe (40t)
Model by Primus
The Targe was one of the first BattleMechs built primarily for use by the defense forces of the Republic of the Sphere, rolling off the assembly lines on Northwind in the early 3080’s. Developed by the Northwind Highlanders, whose surviving forces joined Devlin Stone’s Republic en masse, the Targe is a fast, medium weight design with good armor and a payload of lasers and missiles that is effective at all ranges.

Armament:
3 ER Medium Lasers
1 Long-Range Missile 10-Rack

All in grey/Black...
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 am

The Targe looks like a great starting build. The upper body looks pretty simple and inexpensive to replicate.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:09 am

MicVash wrote:The Targe looks like a great starting build. The upper body looks pretty simple and inexpensive to replicate.
I think while i gather them, we should start putting together HTML/PDF instructions for the easier ones. If you can get the step by step, i'll make the PDFs, Mclad is confusing to me.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:49 am

I don't really want to take the time to do that. if people really want to use these creations for inspiration or to copy then they'll have to use their own energy.

MLCAD is actually a great tool to use. Sure, it's difficult to build stuff quickly (but that's just cause you have to get comfortable and practice with it), but if you're just viewing the models, it's great. You can zoom in and out, spin the model around, and Primus has the main sections grouped together (like legs, arms, torso), so you can look at each section one at a time. If you want to start taking bricks apart, you go to Settings, then Edit Mode.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I've discovered Brick Commander ages ago, its an excellent site and Primus is the Lego Mechwarrior mechs god!

I just have one prob, MCad and LDraw never read the mech files for some boneriffic reason... :?

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Elmagnifico wrote:Image
Thats the lamest way of getting rid of stuff, and an undignifying death for the mighty mechs!

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm

BFenix wrote:I've discovered Brick Commander ages ago, its an excellent site and Primus is the Lego Mechwarrior mechs god!

I just have one prob, MCad and LDraw never read the mech files for some boneriffic reason... :?
Yeah I've visited his site couple years back when he was actually updating stuff. Just thought I'd share now considering I haven't seen too many mech models on the site lately.

Make sure you extract the files, otherwise MCad won't read the file properly.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:23 pm

MicVash wrote: Yeah I've visited his site couple years back when he was actually updating stuff. Just thought I'd share now considering I haven't seen too many mech models on the site lately.

Make sure you extract the files, otherwise MCad won't read the file properly.
Mmmm... last reasonable mech I made was the HellRaider, which am still very proud of and still stands tall in my rooms shelf :P
Actually, now that you mention it, I havent built a real mech in a year now! :shock:
Glad Im on vacs now, gotta get crackin!

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:33 pm

BFenix wrote: Mmmm... last reasonable mech I made was the HellRaider, which am still very proud of and still stands tall in my rooms shelf :P
Actually, now that you mention it, I havent built a real mech in a year now! :shock:
Glad Im on vacs now, gotta get crackin!
Yeah I saw your HellRaider on Flickr, it's pretty good. Besides the gatling guns (which I love that you added huge ammo feed cylinders to), it reminds me of a beefed up Cougar:

I think your mech could use a smaller, more agile buddy, maybe two. Then you could save on some parts and have the other mechs harass the enemy while the HellRaider just sits back and blows the shit out of everything.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm

MicVash wrote: Yeah I saw your HellRaider on Flickr, it's pretty good. Besides the gatling guns (which I love that you added huge ammo feed cylinders to), it reminds me of a beefed up Cougar:

I think your mech could use a smaller, more agile buddy, maybe two. Then you could save on some parts and have the other mechs harass the enemy while the HellRaider just sits back and blows the shit out of everything.
Agreed, I play a test game with my friend, he had some minifigs armed with explosives (rockets, grenades, missiles, etc...) and two light trucks with heavy machineguns, I had the HR and the Death Korps from the MAOX which I also was testing in battle. It ended up with a comical draw, his minifigs completely blew the HR apart since he was the center of attentions, my MAOX still took out some of his figs but not enough, the HR managed to destroy both trucks, and when its legs exploded, it landed on my friends army, killing the remaining forces :lol:

This to basically say, yeah, I should do that :)

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:59 pm

BFenix wrote:
Agreed, I play a test game with my friend, he had some minifigs armed with explosives (rockets, grenades, missiles, etc...) and two light trucks with heavy machineguns, I had the HR and the Death Korps from the MAOX which I also was testing in battle. It ended up with a comical draw, his minifigs completely blew the HR apart since he was the center of attentions, my MAOX still took out some of his figs but not enough, the HR managed to destroy both trucks, and when its legs exploded, it landed on my friends army, killing the remaining forces :lol:

This to basically say, yeah, I should do that :)
Yes, young grasshopper.