More random microspace

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

More random microspace

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

TFBS has largely deprived me of my brick collection (seriously... every 1X4 I own is in there somewhere) but I still have enough specialty pieces to build some microscale stuff. Pictured here are the Raven and XMM-242 frigates.

The Raven is a pirate frigate. It's based on a minifig scale MOC I have planned for after TFBS ends. It won't be a space warship, but it's the same general shape.

The Raven was built to conform to the new Brikspace rule set I'm working on like Bonn-o-Tron. That is going to be on the back burner for a while as my time home from school would be better spent building.

I seem to be moving away from the single-engine aesthetic I've stuck to for a while now. These frigates are a lot less "realistic" than many of their counterparts.

Bow view, showing the heavy laser turret.

The XMM-242 is a collaboration between the Immortal Empire and the T.L.A. It replaces standard ship-to-ship weaponry with an advanced micro-missile system which will supposedly perform equally well at short and long ranges.

I wanted to do a streamlined version of a missile frigate I'd seen in an old forum battle (one of Dilanski's? I dunno) but making it both good-looking and compact was a major headache. The grills positioned around the vessel are missile racks. The ship fires a swarm of missiles at its target. At short range, the missiles' fuel supplies act as explosive warheads; at longer ranges, when the missiles burn out of fuel, they strike their targets with speed equal to that of a rail gun shell.

There's some conventional weaponry as well, a heavy laser and a missile launcher.

Thruster view.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Nice ships!

But speaking of TFBS, when will the next turn be up?
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:42 pm

It's unlikely. Did you read the Day 5 thread?

As it stands right now I want to replace the leaders of Knights, Santa's Elves, and Aliens, because they've been bad with sending in orders. FISH!!! took knights and sent in orders. Yoda_Dog, the commander of Knights, came back and apologized so I offered to let him command Santa's Elves. No response so far, and according to my outbox he hasn't checked messages since I made my offer. No one has volunteered to replace Aliens, so Mr.FudgeDaRules said he would try to make Casundrud send in orders.

I'm giving it a few more days. Hopefully as school lets out people will be able to log on more regularly. But at this point, it looks like the battle may end prematurely.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Really like the Snot of these ships, I need to try doing that more. These turned out sleek and look very like your larger scale fighters. I'll be trying to make a Immortal Micro Fleet next year and although I'll be using some of Shadowscythes LDD designs I'll be looking for pointers from someone who knows what they're doing...

As to the forum battle, it's that time of year where teenagers get abducted and dragged to elderly relatives by their moms. Something to do with contractual obligation and making sure your still in the old bastards will or something. Disappearances are to be expected.
Warhead
Build me an Army worthy of Mordor

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Things I get excited about on this forum:

Anything from RoC or Natalya
Forum battles by Warhead
A banhammering
Your microspace stuff

keep it up. 8)
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Warhead wrote:Really like the Snot of these ships, I need to try doing that more. These turned out sleek and look very like your larger scale fighters. I'll be trying to make a Immortal Micro Fleet next year and although I'll be using some of Shadowscythes LDD designs I'll be looking for pointers from someone who knows what they're doing...

As to the forum battle, it's that time of year where teenagers get abducted and dragged to elderly relatives by their moms. Something to do with contractual obligation and making sure your still in the old bastards will or something. Disappearances are to be expected.

As far as pointers go... buy a buttload of these and build your ships around them. 1x1 "cheese wedges" are also useful.

The forum battle is kind of a mixed blessing. Yeah, it was cool, but I can always do a similar thing later on and ending it will give me time to build in minifig scale and maybe get some more infantry.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Return to Bricks