Grunt Class Hardsuit G1...or Berta

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Postby Grunt-139 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Well this is my first attempt at a hardsuit so before you say it sucks its my first try. Now Im not sure if it is a hardsuit or is in fact a mech because I don't know the difference. Like I said first time.

Well heres a blury shot of it with its guns and missiles.

Heres a much better shot of it.

Heres a shot of it unarmed with its guns at its feet.

A shot of the cockpit with badly made controls, I didnt have any room for much else so I made a display and buttons.

A size comparison and you can see the guns here a bit better.

A blury shot of the jump jets that take you straight up nowhere else, for jumping and escaping for the cowardly minifigs.

Heres a shot of the back.

Well I worked on this all day yesterday and today, I think I put like 8-10 hours into it, six of them were making the legs...like I said first time with a hardsuit.

A little about it:
-It has two high calibre machine guns thats ammunition is put into a device inside the hardsuit that breaks it into particles and is capable of storing an infinite amount of things (call that a disclaimer so no one asks where the ammo is)

-Four mid range missiles

Thats it really Ill make stats up later.

Comments, constructive criticism and suggestions for next time I try this please.

Thank you...i hate building hardsuits.
-Grunt-139
"If you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't do that then you find someone to carry you"
-Firefly, The Message

http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/

So long and thanks for all the fish
TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:27 pm

yeah, totally a mech.

generally, a mech is different from a hardsuit in the sense that mechs tend to be bigger, and offer far more protection for the pilot inside. both tend to be bipedal machines with arms, but hardsuits tend to use the pilot's own head sticking out the top, while mechs either have their own head, or some cockpit to look out of. also, mechs usually have a chair or something that the pilot sits in. a hardsuit is something that the minifig... wears. in other words, it's the biggest, most mobile suit of armor you can have without classifying it as a whole vehicle.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Grunt-139 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:29 pm

IVhorseman wrote:yeah, totally a mech.

generally, a mech is different from a hardsuit in the sense that mechs tend to be bigger, and offer far more protection for the pilot inside. both tend to be bipedal machines with arms, but hardsuits tend to use the pilot's own head sticking out the top, while mechs either have their own head, or some cockpit to look out of. also, mechs usually have a chair or something that the pilot sits in. a hardsuit is something that the minifig... wears. in other words, it's the biggest, most mobile suit of armor you can have without classifying it as a whole vehicle.

Thanks that what I thought more or less, but I wasnt sure since I had seen some hardsuits that enclosed the fig entirely. Thanks for the clarification.
-Grunt-139
"If you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't do that then you find someone to carry you"
-Firefly, The Message

TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby MicVash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am

Hardsuits CAN enclose a minifig ENTIRELY. Ever seen Maschinen Krieger Hardsuits? Yeah. The difference between a Hardsuit and a Mech is that a Mech is "driven" in a sense. It's like a vehicle on legs. Mechs are purely piloted and therefore tend to be bigger than Hardsuits. Hardsuits on the other hand are not "driven" but merely enhance the way the minifig is supposed to move and attack. It's like having an exoskeleton around you so that you can lift heavier objects, wear heavier armer, and mount heavier weapons. The way YOU physically move is the way the Hardsuit will move. A Mech will move by how you operate various controls.

Therefore I would call your creation a Mech.
MicVash
Officer

Postby Grunt-139 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am

Well this proves Im no good at hardsuits...but is it a decent mech.
-Grunt-139
-Firefly, The Message

TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:16 am

It sucks...

JK, it's a good one. But i don't like mechs or hardsuits. I prefer the small minifigs...

Of course, sometimes mechs and other vehicles help a lot in the battle.

BTW, stats?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:07 pm

actually, lots of anime mechs are controlled by pilots who have muscle tracers to control movements and translate them to their mechs. so the line is really hazy and hard to define. but generally, yeah. MicVash probably knows more about mechs and hardsuits than i do, so i'd take his word for it.
IVhorseman

Postby Grunt-139 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Here are the stats

Cost-35cp (thats nothing I got a jet that costs 76)
Mv-8"
AR-3d10

Weapons
Machine guns
range-12
use-4
dmg-2d6

Rockets
range-2d6
Use-6 (that sucks...)
Dmg-2d10 (...but theyd pown if they werent hard to use)

I like the additives instead of the multipliers much nicer.

It also can jump jet straight up for 1d10 inches cost-+1cp

yeah those are the stats
-Grunt-139
-Firefly, The Message

TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby Blitzen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:18 pm

IVhorseman wrote:actually, lots of anime mechs are controlled by pilots who have muscle tracers to control movements and translate them to their mechs.

I thought that's how the Zoids thing worked?

Anyhow, those suits are not "worn". Tracers imply movement independent of the mech, which implies it not being worn in the same sense as a hardsuit. A hardsuit would be like Iron Man; a machine amplifying movements that the pilot makes, versus the mech making its own movements from what is observed of the pilot. Ideally, if there was a way to put the hardsuit in neutral, it would be like walking around in a really heavy pair of pants.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Airpi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 pm

The line is easier to distinguish if you call hardsuits powered armor or something like that. Unless you've seen a lot of Bubblegum Crisis hardsuit doesn't really mean all that much and powered armor gets the point across if you just look at the word.

Nice mech though. I like the guns, whenever I go for something that holds its weapons rather than just having them jut out from its arms I always manage to mess it up. So good on ya.
TROLOLO
Airpi
Champion
Champion

Postby Grunt-139 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Airpi wrote:The line is easier to distinguish if you call hardsuits powered armor or something like that. Unless you've seen a lot of Bubblegum Crisis hardsuit doesn't really mean all that much and powered armor gets the point across if you just look at the word.

Nice mech though. I like the guns, whenever I go for something that holds its weapons rather than just having them jut out from its arms I always manage to mess it up. So good on ya.

Thanks I don't know how well it really turned out, it works fine but if just seems bulky and all that.
-Grunt-139
-Firefly, The Message

TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Now you remembered me of Metal Gear Rex, my favourite.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby MicVash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:59 pm

I don't think those jump jets are big enough to support that mech.

But if you want to make it smaller you need to focus on certain aspects of the unit one at a time. For instance try first making the legs as small but as mobile and stable enough as possible. Then build up from there. There really isn't a cockpit for a hardsuit but just something to enclose the guy. If your hardsuit is bigger than two and half minifigs stacked on top of each other, then it's a little too tall.
MicVash
Officer

Postby Grunt-139 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:10 pm

MicVash wrote:I don't think those jump jets are big enough to support that mech.

But if you want to make it smaller you need to focus on certain aspects of the unit one at a time. For instance try first making the legs as small but as mobile and stable enough as possible. Then build up from there. There really isn't a cockpit for a hardsuit but just something to enclose the guy. If your hardsuit is bigger than two and half minifigs stacked on top of each other, then it's a little too tall.

Thanks a lot for the advice, yeah thats what I was trying to do but I have trouble thinking of and picturing a lego/arm design that is common for Hardsuits, by common I mean how people normally make them. THanks I'm going to try again but I don't have that much stuff left the mech kinda took most of the good peices for it.
-Grunt-139
-Firefly, The Message

TROLOLO
Grunt-139
Hero

Postby pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Didn't you mean...sorta?
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Next

Return to Bricks