one ring to rule them all

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Re: one ring to rule them all

Post by Ben-Jammin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:24 am

Uruk-Hai army and Weathertop look cool, so does Shelob. I expect better for Moria though.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:43 am

Was right except for Gandalf's cart, which makes sense. Too bad that troll is a POOP.

I like how they subbed in the Wampa for the troll, too.

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm liking the Uruk-Hai army set. Too bad these are just preliminary and we can't see the final figs though.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Same excitement to the Uruk here, but I hope they sub out the old troll sword for a proper looking one.
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:41 pm

heavyfishcannon wrote:Same excitement to the Uruk here, but I hope they sub out the old troll sword for a proper looking one.
That's gonna be the set I stock up on, most likely... I can't resist an Uruk-hai army :D

Also, the fact that they subbed in the wampa means they're probably making a new design for the troll, so that will be nice. Wish they do something to Anduril to make it look cool, like they did with the ninja sword for ninjago.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:28 pm

I still want a brick-built Oliphant, Smaug, and Balrog. But I'm probably being unrealistic aren't I?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:34 pm

enders_shadow wrote:
heavyfishcannon wrote:Same excitement to the Uruk here, but I hope they sub out the old troll sword for a proper looking one.
That's gonna be the set I stock up on, most likely... I can't resist an Uruk-hai army :D

Also, the fact that they subbed in the wampa means they're probably making a new design for the troll, so that will be nice. Wish they do something to Anduril to make it look cool, like they did with the ninja sword for ninjago.
It shows it at the bottom with the figs. It looks like the wampa mold, just different colors.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Gollum looks like he's POOP, too. Except he might have the longer Woody arms from Toy Story.

Legofighter
Officer

Post by Legofighter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:In all honesty, I think that this may very well be the best news I have recieved all year.
Hasta la vista! Im a HUGE Fan of Alllllllllllll Tolkien's Books

For all those that are interested: You can get pretty much good ideas of what it will look like on MOCpages, and for once, I DON'T WANT ANY PEACH ABOMINATION
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Well, Smaug kinda has to be brick-built, unless they don't make that set. I'd personally like to see a return of the old elephants, but maybe with spikes :D. I think brick-Balrog would be very nice, because there are several details that would be hard to get in a mold. The Oliphants, however, are pretty straightforward, and as long as they look cool and are relatively to scale, I'm happy.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Scarapis wrote:
enders_shadow wrote:I'd say weathertop is definitely on there as well, and I would also expect some sort of Rivendell set, because it's so iconic.

This could be awesome, or it could be a destruction of one of the best fantasy lines ever. I'm nervous.

I can see it now LEGO in its usual epic failure will have a set like Rivendale, which will have 2 Elves, maybe a Hobbit (frodo) and a stone column and a few bricks for a building.
Of course it will be like that. Just look at every other themed line up.

Couple of big sets but not epic. Over a thousand pieces and 5-7 minifigs.
Hand full of medium sets. Few hundred pieces and 2-4 minifigs.
Several small sets. Bout a hundred pieces and 1-2 minifigs.
Couple of tiny sets. Dozen or more pieces and 1 minifig.

None of them will have enough minifigs. None of them will be epic. If you want epic Lego sets you just have to buy a ton of them and build it your self. Sorry; they just won't be like THIS

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:17 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Battle Packs? They aren't going to make Battle Packs for LOTR. Your hopes are all too high.
Why wouldn't they?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 am

It's not as big of a draw as Star Wars is. At least not to the crowd that they marketed the Star Wars Battle Packs to. They were mostly for kids and Clone fanatics.

Don't get me wrong, it would be frickin' awesome. But you're all like "Yea! This is totally what they should do!" instead of "Oh, this is what they've done with everything else, and therefore will do with this."

I think Lego is going to give LOTR the same treatment as Harry Potter. Although there will be plenty of adult collectors, LOTR isn't as big of a draw to kids, which is a big part of what Lego is all about. If they don't sell well enough to kids, then we aren't going to get the same stuff as we did from Star Wars.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46 am

...But don't kids want giant armies of Lego men/elfs/Dwarfs?

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:24 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:I still want a brick-built Oliphant, Smaug, and Balrog. But I'm probably being unrealistic aren't I?
Here:
http://www.saber-scorpion.com/lego/lotr_creatures.php
Here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=86503
And Here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=460124

P.S: I am none of these people.
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"