Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Ben-Jammin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Since Whiteagle posted picks of his CIS vehicle, I figured I would go ahead and upload pics of my newest Republic moc. Its a heavy anti-air tank from Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, although I would simply refer to it as the missile box, since that is pretty much what it is. I'm still not pleased with the relatively featureless front, but I went through some revisions for the repulsorlifts and torpedo tubes and came up with an end result that I thought was okay...

Image

And here is a shot of the back:

Image

Here is a reference pic (I know its not much to go on):

Image

Even though the last thing the Republic needs is more heavy firepower, I just couldn't resist this.
User avatar
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm
Location: Not quite the middle of Appalachia

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:So it eventually turns into a battle droid flashmob?

Well if by "Flashmob" you mean a Zerg Rush of Droid, then yeah...
At least until I acquire some heavier equipment, and get my "Special Droids" built:
Image

Ben-Jammin wrote:Since Whiteagle posted picks of his CIS vehicle, I figured I would go ahead and upload pics of my newest Republic moc. Its a heavy anti-air tank from Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, although I would simply refer to it as the missile box, since that is pretty much what it is. I'm still not pleased with the relatively featureless front, but I went through some revisions for the repulsorlifts and torpedo tubes and came up with an end result that I thought was okay...

Image

And here is a shot of the back:

Image

Here is a reference pic (I know its not much to go on):

Image

Even though the last thing the Republic needs is more heavy firepower, I just couldn't resist this.

OOOOhhh, nice!
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I wouldn't build those "special droids" if I were you, since you turn a decent ranged unit into a semi-dangerous spinning top.

:protip: Landraiders.
Image
User avatar
Robot Monkey
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Weed land

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:I wouldn't build those "special droids" if I were you, since you turn a decent ranged unit into a semi-dangerous spinning top.

:protip: Landraiders.

Dude, I have a lot of droid bodies with no arms, so they are going to be "Special Droids" like the Flail Droid.
That's what you get for being made out of cheap plastic.

...And wouldn't STAPs fit better then Landraiders?
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:34 pm

...I had a thought, although my brain seems to be aggressively pursuing the whole "cover" bit, apologies.. All C.I.S. units are deployed, in vehicles, from orbit, in the gigantic flying-wing devices. D'y think this design makes sense in that context?

You know what, screw it, the vehicle looks great.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:...I had a thought, although my brain seems to be aggressively pursuing the whole "cover" bit, apologies.. All C.I.S. units are deployed, in vehicles, from orbit, in the gigantic flying-wing devices. D'y think this design makes sense in that context?

You know what, screw it, the vehicle looks great.

Well probably, considering they jam all those AATs and MTTs in the C-9979's WINGS!
Take a look for yourself:
Image

The C-9979 is also designed to look like the Trade Federation's commercial barges... what ever that means...

Why, what is it that makes you think this vehicle doesn't fit?
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Hey, so you see those empty studs on the back of those wheelhub/engine/whatever things? THERE. PUT THE GUNS THERE. they don't even have to be big, just some small, rotating turrets to discourage infantry from going around the sides/back. This is largely something for deploying droids juuuust behind the front lines, so having some big long-range guns works out just fine if they're on the front.

It actually took me a while to figure out whether or not this thing was supposed to fly or not, which may not be a terrible idea either.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Ben-Jammin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:19 pm

The C-9979 is also designed to look like the Trade Federation's commercial barges... what ever that means...

Why, what is it that makes you think this vehicle doesn't fit?


The CIS also used them, as many of the vehicles were given to them once the Trade Federation came to their side. They generally used Hardcell-class transports, Core ships, and Commerce Guild transports (I forget their actual name) for space-to-ground transport of their military units. Of these, I believe I have only seen the Hardcell transport made in lego, although to me it looks like it would be useful for little more than ferrying ammunition and supplies.
User avatar
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm
Location: Not quite the middle of Appalachia

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Hey, so you see those empty studs on the back of those wheelhub/engine/whatever things? THERE. PUT THE GUNS THERE. they don't even have to be big, just some small, rotating turrets to discourage infantry from going around the sides/back. This is largely something for deploying droids juuuust behind the front lines, so having some big long-range guns works out just fine if they're on the front.

It actually took me a while to figure out whether or not this thing was supposed to fly or not, which may not be a terrible idea either.

Actually, those studs aren't exposed...
There's a little bit of a lip coming off those curved pieces, so I don't think I can stick anything on there.

Also, did you notice the new laser turret on the top?
I added that specifically for flanking infantry.

On an unrelated note, I am disappointed that you can't connect the pieces of a ball turret together in LDD, since that was going to be the core of a Droid Fighter design I've had in my head for a while now...
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm

@Whiteagle:

Image
Your argument is invalid. These things are perfect for shipping around infantry. (Well, I guess with battle droids it'd just be more efficient to have your vehicle, but if you have minifig infantry, like I do, these things are great.)
Image
User avatar
Robot Monkey
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Weed land

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Alright, changing gears for a little bit, here are two STAPs designs borrowing from the myriad of Lego STAPs there have been.
The shorter is based on the two that come with Mace Windu's Starfighter, while the taller is based on the one that comes with the AT-TE Walker.
Image
Image
Thoughts?

Robot Monkey wrote:@Whiteagle:

*LAND RAIDER!!!*
Your argument is invalid. These things are perfect for shipping around infantry. (Well, I guess with battle droids it'd just be more efficient to have your vehicle, but if you have minifig infantry, like I do, these things are great.)

Robot, IFVs like that are great for Minifig infantry, but I built this thing for droids...
Droids that are suppose to be comically slaughtered in Close Quarters Combat.
When I want a vehicle like a Land Raider, I'll build one.
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Falk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 am

Robot Monkey wrote:@Whiteagle:

Image
Your argument is invalid. These things are perfect for shipping around infantry. (Well, I guess with battle droids it'd just be more efficient to have your vehicle, but if you have minifig infantry, like I do, these things are great.)

This. My next LDD project.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."

Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
User avatar
Falk
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Robot Monkey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:34 am

I built one for my army.
viewtopic.php?t=7923

But back on this thread, I like the shorter STAP better.
Image
User avatar
Robot Monkey
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Weed land

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Ben-Jammin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:01 pm

They both look nice, at first I thought they were the same since the height difference is only by one stud.
User avatar
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm
Location: Not quite the middle of Appalachia

Re: Star Wars Vehicle Creations

Postby Whiteagle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:But back on this thread, I like the shorter STAP better.

Yeah, it is more accurate to the ones in the movies.

Ben-Jammin wrote:They both look nice, at first I thought they were the same since the height difference is only by one stud.

Well change in height does make a pretty big difference.
The Droid's feet end up in different places, ether level with "Engines" or the fins, while the blaster mount on the shorter model is flush with the top of the front piece and can therefore swivel.

Anyways, if you've been paying attention to my post on these forums, you'd know that I have an old Battle Droid Carrier.
Since most of the chincy Droids from that set have broken arms (Possibly from repeated clipping onto and off the Rack) and I have the new Battle of Naboo set, I decided to test what kind of modifications I could make to the vehicle in LDD.
Here's what I came up with trying to use as many parts from the old Droid Rack as possible:
Image
Image
A modular Anti-Vehicle Turret!
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron