BrickArms 2012: M16 Variants and M110 Sniper Rifle

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

the enigma that is badger
Officer

Re: BrickArms 2012: M16 Variants and M110 Sniper Rifle

Post by the enigma that is badger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am

Seems like more than a few of you really like the Flamethrower variant! As I said, I'll definitely pass that information onto Will.

One alternative that's been suggested by fans: the flamethrower attachment as a separate accessory you could attach to weaponry via the BrickArms U-Clip.

That's not planned by Will at the moment, but would that interest anyone more or less compared to the M16 variant pictured above with the flamethrower molded as part of the accessory?
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

I'd honestly prefer it! Being able to switch attachments on a gun is always superior to having one molded directly into the handle of another. Dunno how cool it'd look compared to the M16's embedded flamer, but it'd still be TOTALLY awesome!

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I say! if we could get the shotgun and the flamethrower as clip ons... By jove that would be perfect!!

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit of having attachments moulded on. The problem with clip-ons is that the barrels look different on the IRL ones. My suggestion is to make the receiver and the barrels separate pieces, with a short bar sticking out of the receiver and a hole in the barrel. This would be great for swapping out barrels, and would allow for some great integration with Lego pieces like lightsaber handles.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm

I second MGB's idea, although that seems like it would be quite a bit of work... Will might have to keep those as prototype designs or modify his molds...
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 am

I'm just not sure how you'd deal with the scopes. I would suggest clip-on, but that would be damn near impossible with the carrying handle.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 am

U-clip + Lightsaber handle, although you're right in that it wouldn't fit on the M-16.

Officer

Post by the enigma that is badger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:03 am

aoffan23 wrote:Yeah, I don't really see the benefit of having attachments moulded on. The problem with clip-ons is that the barrels look different on the IRL ones. My suggestion is to make the receiver and the barrels separate pieces, with a short bar sticking out of the receiver and a hole in the barrel. This would be great for swapping out barrels, and would allow for some great integration with Lego pieces like lightsaber handles.
I'm not sure I follow completely, but it sounds like your talking about a system similar to this. Given the scale of minifig accessories as well as the types of molds necessary to produce those types of parts, it's nothing that Will plans to pursue. Larger accessories that connect to weaponry via a U-Clip are what we're discussing here, in particular, a flamethrower attachment (like was seen as part of the M16A1 Flamethrower prototype).
Keldoclock wrote:I second MGB's idea, although that seems like it would be quite a bit of work... Will might have to keep those as prototype designs or modify his molds...
IF Will were to decide to create a separate attachable flamethrower prototype piece, he would simply cut another aluminum prototype mold for it with his personal CNC. That does take some time and effort, but only a tiny fraction compared to designing and cutting new production molds.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 am

Thank you for answering, but I was referring to MGB's idea of pin-and-hole based swappable barrels.

I think that a flamethrower accessory via U-Clip could work fairly well, although it would not be the most popular item in the shop, I could see a clip-on flamethrower or shotgun selling about as well as the clip-on grenade launcher.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:56 pm

A clip-on flamethrower could double as a welding torch, like how the chainblade can be either a sweet-ass knife or the best bayonet ever. A clip-on shotgun would probably only work as an attachment though, I can't imagine a minifig holding it in any useful way.

What I'm worried about when it comes to clip-on attachments is whether or not they'd look stupid and too detailed. My instinct says no, but I imagine that it's a possibility.

EDIT: My order just came in! These M-16s are wonderful!

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

the enigma that is badger wrote:I'm not sure I follow completely, but it sounds like your talking about a system similar to this. Given the scale of minifig accessories as well as the types of molds necessary to produce those types of parts, it's nothing that Will plans to pursue.
No, not quite like that. I was thinking of having a single, minifig-grippable peg sticking out of the main body, and then have a separate piece of barrel+attachment that has a hole where it meets the body. This will allow for a great degree of weapon customization, but still allow people to use the realistically matching barrel covers for the flamethrower/shotgun/grenade launcher, instead of a plain barrel with clip-ons.

If you still don't get it, just let me know and I'll draw a pic in Paint of what I have in mind.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 am

In other words, a hole into which a monopod would fit into.

Officer

Post by the enigma that is badger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 am

aoffan23 wrote:I was thinking of having a single, minifig-grippable peg sticking out of the main body, and then have a separate piece of barrel+attachment that has a hole where it meets the body.
Ah, I see. It's an interesting concept, but with the scale of minifig accessories, might prove to be awkward given the relative size of the weapon to the accessory.

Still, the conversation is getting a bit off-track (par for the course on this board, I know!), and direct feedback on the concept of a small, removable flamethrower piece that would attach to any accessory would be more helpful than other comments on other designs.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I second MGB's idea, although that seems like it would be quite a bit of work... Will might have to keep those as prototype designs or modify his molds...
Again I get credit for an idea I didn't know I had. This is awesome.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't know why i keep mixing you and aoffan up so often... similar prose styles?

But yes, clippable flamethrowers are totally :666: .