Set Review: Apple Tree House #5891

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Set Review: Apple Tree House #5891

Postby Natalya » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Okay so I recently bought the Apple Tree house:

Pretty cool set right? Nice details, looks pretty, and of course Lego's deceptionally beautiful photography skills are at work here. What is hard to tell about this set from this picture is that the inside of this house isn't just bare; it's cramped and almost too tiny to be playable. The roof over the doorway can be taken off to reveal a ladder to the upstairs, but even the upstairs which looks like it might have some room in it is actually totally cramped. The original instructions even call for the room above the garage to be entirely closed off and inaccessible from the rest of the house. In this thread I'll show you how I re-designed the upstairs and even added some furniture to help the house be more realistic and useful as a piece of terrain for a BrikWars battle.

So, the only thing better than a Dreadnought is a Dreadnought with a house to blow up. But how ossum is this house? Let's find out.

The house is beautiful on the outside and is sure to be a key piece of eye candy on any battlefield where it is featured. Half of the roof lifts off easily so you can see the inside.

Unfortunately, the inside is crap. See the sink and cabinets and oven? I had to build that to furnish it. The inside is very small so it won't be a good hiding place for a squad of minifigs... 2 or 3 max.

Let's look at those kitchen pieces. I built those and with this picture now you can too. They really make the inside a lot nicer. It was inspired by some cool furniture Lego shows how to build on their website:

That should provide you with a little more inspiration if you need it, even though part of that kitchen set they made looks like an illegal build.

Let's go upstairs. In the original paragraph I mentioned that the vanilla build of this house blocks off the area above the garage. With some slight modifications as you see here, that area can be accessed. Nonetheless, it's a bitch to pull all of the roof off so I mean it still kinda sucks, but whatever. Check out that bed though.

It is hard to see, but the section of the bed opposite the pillow has a 1 x 2 plate instead of a 1 x 2 tile so that a minifig who is sleeping in it can be securely attached to it via their leg holes.

This is a detail shot of the roof section here. I don't have supports for it like were prescribed by the instruction manual so it's much weaker than the default, but that's the price you pay for increased living space.

The garage on this set is kinda stupid. I'm not sure why it's even there. It is wide enough for a car, but almost certainly too low. I just left it there because it looks pretty.

And that's the end of this review. The set is very beautiful and will look good in your city, but don't try to use it as a focal point of a battle because it's too small inside to be of much use. You might be able to use it better for a roleplay-style match if you add some basic furnishings. I'd recommend it, but with qualms about playability.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Re: Set Review: Apple Tree House #5891

Postby Bragallot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Hah, apparently minimum wages exist in the Lego world as well. I'm also pretty sure their stunning photography skills are helped by stunning photoshop skills :mrgreen: Seriously though it looks nice, still I wouldn't buy it just to have it be blown up in a Brikwar because I don't have that kind of money and think you should be able to go inside buildings and kill stuff in Brikwars. I still haven't seen anyone burn out an entire building full of people with a huge flamethrower in a Brikwar, but the day will come...!
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, once upon a time the ASE completely demolished a McDonald's in a single turn. I'm still working on that massive battlefield for the Head Separator battle. I know I've been going incredibly slow with this, but please believe me; every time I work on it the setup gets more and more ossum. I also recently got 10 more Akkadians for it.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 pm

I was given a choice between this and the Sceneries Set as a gift once. I ended up choosing the latter because of its rarer parts, but I was heavily considering the house because of the white bricks, tan windows and dark blue roof tiles. I might pick it up at some point if I start spending too much money again before it goes off the shelves.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Ben-Jammin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 am

And I actually considered getting this set...not happening now. Glad I bought two of the log cabins. They look pretty good and have a very large amount of interior space that you can play around in. Additionally, both the roof will come off and the back wall will slide open so that it is much easier to get inside. They also have a large amount of reddish brown bricks and dark red slopes, and there are some useful parts that can be found on the fire pit and the spit with the chicken legs on it. I think that the cheaper house sets have a lot more playability in them (i.e. the said log cabin and beach house).
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Return to Bricks