Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Re: Lego Friends, err, FIENDS

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Natalya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I think its possible to have a story or something with a female protagonist I feel like boys could like it but only if that girl wasn't limited by her being a girl. By limited i mean like Bella in twilight is like totally pointless because her existence is determined by Edward... Her life revolves around him. That kind of crap boys won't go for but maybe if there was something where it wasn't dumb like that? I guess i don't know of any examples.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Bragallot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:10 pm

How about the Dark Swan so far trilogy by Richelle Mead? It's about a chick who kills demons and gets fucked by two guys repeatedly, but she doesn't take shit from either of them. Well, not as much as a stereotypical girl would anyway. They'd have to tone it down a little, but it could work.

It's not like Lego over-stereotypes women. The woman (not sure if she ever had a name) from Rock Raiders was totally badass, the one from Alpha Team wasn't a wimp either and Princess Storm just kicked ass. Then there's the female ninja, too. They also just released a Valkyrie collectible minifig.

All in all, it's just how you use your imagination however. In my Lego world Lego's King Leo's Wife is a badass sorceress and the King Leos have been degraded to normal footsoldiers, currently vikings even. Kids won't just stick by what you place in front of them, fe I remember someone saying - I think it was on this forum - that his kid liked the 'evil necromancer' of the Fantasy Era the best: he probably has him clobbering crownies around like a baws even though Lego made it obvious he's the bad guy.

But really, what does it even matter. Next thing you know people are going to insist including jews and muslims in kid's toys.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby mgb519 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Natalya wrote:I think its possible to have a story or something with a female protagonist I feel like boys could like it but only if that girl wasn't limited by her being a girl. By limited i mean like Bella in twilight is like totally pointless because her existence is determined by Edward... Her life revolves around him. That kind of crap boys won't go for but maybe if there was something where it wasn't dumb like that? I guess i don't know of any examples.

I can't claim to have personally played it (once watched my cousin play it), but what about "Oni"?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Bragallot wrote:How about the Dark Swan so far trilogy by Richelle Mead? It's about a chick who kills demons and gets fucked by two guys repeatedly, but she doesn't take shit from either of them. Well, not as much as a stereotypical girl would anyway. They'd have to tone it down a little, but it could work.

Is the movie of the same name based on this book series? Sounds somewhat interesting.

Bragallot wrote:the one from Alpha Team

There were two actually: Cam and Radia.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Bragallot wrote:It's not like Lego over-stereotypes women. The woman (not sure if she ever had a name) from Rock Raiders was totally badass, the one from Alpha Team wasn't a wimp either and Princess Storm just kicked ass. Then there's the female ninja, too.

Yeah, but even those are a sacrifice. The more prominently those characters are highlighted, you see immediate loss of interest in the target market. Just having them in there at all costs sales in a very real and measurable way, but Lego keeps sticking them in there because they're so conscious of their poor male-to-female minifig ratio.

Bragallot wrote:They also just released a Valkyrie collectible minifig.

The collectible minifigs cater to a much broader market whose obsessive preoccupation with gender is much less overriding.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby NapalmKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm

There is buffy the Vampire slayer she is like bella in twilight except she slaughters vampires(this is the tv show not the BS movie)
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy

Postby Natalya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

I totally want the valkyrie... Pics?
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

There you go:
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Bragallot wrote:All in all, it's just how you use your imagination however. In my Lego world Lego's King Leo's Wife is a badass sorceress and the King Leos have been degraded to normal footsoldiers, currently vikings even. Kids won't just stick by what you place in front of them, fe I remember someone saying - I think it was on this forum - that his kid liked the 'evil necromancer' of the Fantasy Era the best: he probably has him clobbering crownies around like a baws even though Lego made it obvious he's the bad guy.

I think this is a good point. When you buy an action figure or a doll there's not too much choice with how you play with them. Lego is different because it's entirely customizable. You can get a set and there are some instructions on how to build it but you can also throw those away and build whatever you want, customize the minifigs/dolls however you want, etc. My main argument for the Friends line is you don't have to build what's on the box. And I know that kids don't because my little brother and sister and I all used to play with Lego and build all kinds of stuff (now it's just me :( ) Kids have much bigger imaginations than most adults do and Lego is the toy that can let them use it quite easily.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby sjosten » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Natalya wrote:I think its possible to have a story or something with a female protagonist I feel like boys could like it but only if that girl wasn't limited by her being a girl. By limited i mean like Bella in twilight is like totally pointless because her existence is determined by Edward... Her life revolves around him. That kind of crap boys won't go for but maybe if there was something where it wasn't dumb like that? I guess i don't know of any examples.

bronises totally confirm this.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.
sjosten
Minifig

Postby Silverdream » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Bragallot wrote:Next thing you know people are going to insist including jews and muslims in kid's toys.

I hope they do. We could always use a new bank or courtroom set. As for the muslims, I suppose you could have a bazhaar or something.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

I'd also like to point out that there was a girl in the Pharaoh's Quest line. She came in two of the sets, and was equipped with the same stuff as the guys. But she was the only one with a scared face, so I think that was a dumb move by Lego. There was also the girl in Alien Conquest and the new Dino line. I think that including a female character, even if she's not the protagonist, would do the trick to get rid of the heat they get.

But honestly, it's a little unfair to blame one toy company for warping children's perspective of the two sexes. It's been driven deeply into society for as long as we know; hell, even prehistoric humans (as far as research shows) separated the men and the women into baby-raisers and hunters, respectively. Like stubby said, going against the grain doesn't always pay off, especially when it comes to little kids who see the same kind of roles portrayed on cartoons, in movies, fairy tales, etc.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Gungnir » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am

aoffan23 wrote:But she was the only one with a scared face, so I think that was a dumb move by Lego.

I think that has less to do with "women are helpless" and more with "we have all these extra decals."

The chick in the Atlantis line was pretty kick-ass, IMO.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am

Is it a bad thing that I wish I had more female minifig heads on hand? No. It's not. And I guess I can see how that impact effects the market, but I personally don't agree with it. Both sides of the argument seem to make up a lot of things where they don't belong- actually that's true for almost any high-stakes argument nevermind
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks