How do you organize your bricks?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde, ikensall

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:43 am

Captain Nomouth wrote:Wow, I never realized there was such a simple way to organize Legos. I'm going to start using that system right away...


Wow! Make that two of us!
User avatar
Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Brodmann area 17

Postby HVNSNT SOLDIER » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:05 am

Never really did sort out meh bricks, maybe I should... NAH! :lol:
TROLOLO
HVNSNT SOLDIER
Hero
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: Earth

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:40 pm

I've had very much seccess with "by color". I also have a tacklebox, which i use for "minifig crap". that includes heads and pants and whatnot, but also holdable items, hats, weapons, and other things for use with minifigs.

I sort by color with six boxes: one for blue and purple pieces, one for red and orange, one for yellow and brown, one for white and clear, one for green, and one for black and gray. if i had another box, i would use it for technic pins and the like, and i reccomend you use your seventh box for that.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 5306
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby Dr. X » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I've had very much seccess with "by color". I also have a tacklebox, which i use for "minifig crap". that includes heads and pants and whatnot, but also holdable items, hats, weapons, and other things for use with minifigs.

I sort by color with six boxes: one for blue and purple pieces, one for red and orange, one for yellow and brown, one for white and clear, one for green, and one for black and gray. if i had another box, i would use it for technic pins and the like, and i reccomend you use your seventh box for that.


I've got sixteen boxes, but that's just me. Green, Brown/Tan, Blue, Red/Orange, Black, Black, Black, Black, Grey, Grey, Grey , Trans(parent), Yellow, White, and another Red. I used to have a Technic box but it got assimilated. . . .
User avatar
Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby Shaeph » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Dr. X wrote:I've got sixteen boxes, but that's just me. Green, Brown/Tan, Blue, Red/Orange, Black, Black, Black, Black, Grey, Grey, Grey , Trans(parent), Yellow, White, and another Red. I used to have a Technic box but it got assimilated. . . .

Just how big are your boxes?
What about other colors like pink and gold?
User avatar
Shaeph
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade

Postby Dr. X » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 am

Shaeph wrote:
Dr. X wrote:I've got sixteen boxes, but that's just me. Green, Brown/Tan, Blue, Red/Orange, Black, Black, Black, Black, Grey, Grey, Grey , Trans(parent), Yellow, White, and another Red. I used to have a Technic box but it got assimilated. . . .

Just how big are your boxes?
What about other colors like pink and gold?


Not too big, about 1.8 feet long, 1.3 feet wide, and 8-10 inches tall. Pink and gold are too scarce to have their own box, I just don't have many of those colors. I do have a few pink ones in the red box though. . .
User avatar
Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby Jaye Tea » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:55 pm

I don't sort just keep em jumbled about in four 31 gallon bins(they'er big plastic) although I admit i keep my minifigs and minfig-ish parts in three seperate shoe boxes. so thats kinda sorted.
User avatar
Jaye Tea
Officer
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: Seattle-ish

Postby vulcant13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:45 pm

I just got a start on organizing my legos im using the following categories:
Colour Boxes:
brown/tan
yellow/gold
red/orange/dark
green/lime
blue/navy/other shades
black
gray/dark/light
white
Minifig Related:
Minifigs
weapons/tools/accesories/equipment
horses
vehicles

I actually did a census and i have like 150 minifigs. woot.
TROLOLO
vulcant13
Hero
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:18 pm

I sorta had a really bad way to orgainize mine. I put minifig stuff in one big Ziploc. really useful pieces in 2 or 3 more and then everything else goes in 4 bins.
User avatar
Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Mangled, inside Audrey II

Postby Rody » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:52 am

Cpt. Zipps wrote:I sorta had a really bad way to orgainize mine. I put minifig stuff in one big Ziploc. really useful pieces in 2 or 3 more and then everything else goes in 4 bins.


same for me, until laziness caused the contents of the bins to mingle again.
User avatar
Rody
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Below sea-level

Postby vulcant13 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:40 pm

ah, laziness...
TROLOLO
vulcant13
Hero
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Postby piltogg » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:40 am

if you whant wage organisation you could just put all bricks and wall pieces in one big box and everything else in another.
User avatar
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: Fictional Deutschland

Postby Adean » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:24 am

The ting about organazashun iz dat after you spend hours and hours oraganazing, it all seems to get jumbled together again after you build and wreck one or two creations.  Then you've got another several hours of orrginizashin to do again.

GIVE UUUUUUPP!!!!  YOU"RE QUEST IS FUTILE!!!
TROLOLO
Adean
Minifig
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: California

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Adean wrote:The ting about organazashun iz dat after you spend hours and hours oraganazing, it all seems to get jumbled together again after you build and wreck one or two creations.  Then you've got another several hours of orrginizashin to do again.

GIVE UUUUUUPP!!!!  YOU"RE QUEST IS FUTILE!!!


after i organized, they never got unorganized. occasionally i'll find a red brick in the white box, but that's about it.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 5306
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby Dr. X » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Same with me.

Also, during a project I try to keep the colors from mixing when I build on my desk, and afterwards I just put most back into the appropriate boxes and then sort/put-in-the-rainbow-boxes the rest of them.

If you scrap something, it's also easy.
User avatar
Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest