Page 1 of 2

The Order Of The Darkened Earth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:49 pm
by Olothontor
This is just a dagger design for an evil society in one of kidko and I's novels. I got the sudden and violent inspiration for it in the middle of French class, and by the end of seventh period History, I had a completed dagger design! These daggers are standard issue for Shenki and Naze in The Order, and are designed to be extremely lightweight. Also, that hand guard design? It's The Order's symbol. Here's the original picture, un-inked, followed by a picture of the original picture for the symbol.

Image

Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:51 pm
by Blitzen
You have <i>seven periods?</i>

Stellar job.

EDIT: Gah, I hate it when people have private Photobucket accounts. It just drives me nuts. Nuts, I say!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 pm
by Olothontor
Thank you. For both of those comments.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 pm
by Bonn-o-Tron
Blitzen wrote:You have <i>seven periods?</i>

Yeah, what the hell? I'm assuming Blitzen has 4 like I do, two before and after lunch. On the topic of your drawings; nice job, much better than I can ever hope to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 pm
by Blitzen
Bonn-o-Tron wrote:
Blitzen wrote:You have <i>seven periods?</i>

Yeah, what the hell? I'm assuming Blitzen has 4 like I do, two before and after lunch. On the topic of your drawings; nice job, much better than I can ever hope to do.

Come to think of it, that assumption may have been a tad preemptive. Ollly, you probably have <I>eight</i> periods. Which sucks for you, but whatever.

Also on the topic of your drawing, that sharp edge would hurt if you tried to stab someone. As in, it would dig into your hand. And there would be blood. Lots of blood. Mmm, blood....

What I <i>do </i>like is the symmetry. I can never get anything symmetrical, nor can I copy something at a different size. I'm boneriffic that way.

As another point against you, that design looks rather paper-thin, if you know what I'm saying. Wide blades generally weren't a good idea back when they used blades except for mass, as in broadswords, but I guess it sort of ties into your creepy religious symbol there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:05 pm
by Olothontor
Well, part of the history of the blade is that it's made of a material called Theyrium, a pure metal that's rated underneath of Diamond on the mineral hardness scale. So, it's built very thin so that it's even more lightweight, and it's extremely difficult to chip and break.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:38 pm
by blackwing77
We have 7 periods but we only have 4 classes a day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:59 pm
by Blitzen
Olothontor wrote:Well, part of the history of the blade is that it's made of a material called Theyrium, a pure metal that's rated underneath of Diamond on the mineral hardness scale. So, it's built very thin so that it's even more lightweight, and it's extremely difficult to chip and break.

Yet extremely brittle.

A diamond's hardness means it resists scratching, but I don't think you'd be too worried about that on the battlefield. Your Theyrium's hardness is all well and good, but hardness only means that it holds an edge. A material more suited to this would resist fracture while being very thin, and that's kind of hard.

Your statement that it is very difficult to chip and break is false, unless there was something lost in translation, in which case I do not apologise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 pm
by Blitzen
blackwing77 wrote:We have 7 periods but we only have 4 classes a day.

Again, <i>seven periods?</i>

What kind of school <i>is</i> this?


I have four 1.25 hour classes; two in the morning, and two in the afternoon, with a fifty minute lunch between them. Between my first and second, third and fourth periods there is a five minute break. Every week, my last two periods switch, and half way through the semester, my morning classes switch.

There are bells at 8:35, 8:40, 10:00, 10:05, 11:20, 12:00, 12:05, 12:10, 1:25, 1:30, and 2:45. That's a lot of bells.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 pm
by Tzan
It can't break because "he said so".

and the Symbol is:

2 breasts
wide collar shirt
sword pendant

So that means the dagger represents...
--------------------

When I was in highschool each class was 1 hour (or I guess 55 min. with 5 to get to the next room). So each class starts at the beginning of the hour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 pm
by Olothontor
Tzan wrote:It can't break because "he said so".


That is exactly right. This is a Fantasy setting we're talking about, here. For all we know, it could have been fused by Elven magic into one massive molecule of metal. Break that, bitch!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 pm
by Bonn-o-Tron
Olothontor wrote:
Tzan wrote:It can't break because "he said so".


That is exactly right. This is a Fantasy setting we're talking about, here. For all we know, it could have been fused by Elven magic into one massive molecule of metal. Break that, bitch!

That seems reasonable enough. On the topic of school periods, I've got two 70 minute classes in the morning with a 5 minute break, then an hour lunch followed by the same thing as the morning. Our morning classes and our afternoon classes switch everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46 pm
by Captain Nomouth
Is it like this in all Canadian schools? Because at my school we have four 1 hour classes with seven minute breaks in between, then 45 minutes for lunch, and two more 1 hour periods. In total school runs from 8:00 to 3:00.

Of course this doesn't even include all I have to go through as a member of the drumline; we have practice Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 3:30 to 6:00, or from 5:00 to 8:30. It's exhausting and all of my grades have gone down because of it...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:22 am
by IVhorseman
Captain Nomouth wrote:Is it like this in all Canadian schools? Because at my school we have four 1 hour classes with seven minute breaks in between, then 45 minutes for lunch, and two more 1 hour periods. In total school runs from 8:00 to 3:00.

Of course this doesn't even include all I have to go through as a member of the drumline; we have practice Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 3:30 to 6:00, or from 5:00 to 8:30. It's exhausting and all of my grades have gone down because of it...


about the same as mine. yay california!

as for the dagger, i strongly agree that this thing is not sturdy, and no, not due to brittleness. there's plenty of lightweight existing metals that could hold this shape and not break.

BUT, this thing WILL bend and warp upon use. not so much the bottom edges of the blade, but that top, open spot is just going to twist right over itself the second you punch it into anything harder than jell-o. if you get a center piece of supporting metal running through that, and maybe even a cross-piece or two, you're set.

also, i agree with blitzen that your handle is too sharp to be used. putting a reversed blade on a punching dagger inside the handhold is a major no-no. even IF it's a mammary-inspired religious symbol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:26 am
by *CRAZYHORSE*
Captain Nomouth wrote:Is it like this in all Canadian schools? Because at my school we have four 1 hour classes with seven minute breaks in between, then 45 minutes for lunch, and two more 1 hour periods. In total school runs from 8:00 to 3:00.

What! you school starts at 8:00 hahaha thats when I get ready to go to school. and also my school has 50 minute lessons so we also get about 7 lessons  in 1 day and the total break time in one day is 1 hour, 1st 20min then 30 min break then the 10 min break.