Getting around to character design now. The sprites from Elemental Gelade have helped greatly here.
I took a refined outline of one of the previous case study bodies and the outline of one of my own custom heads and began a test to figure out chibi anatomy.
I filled him in, failing to realize that the whole 'pectoral cross' thing doesn't work well at small scale.
I fixed this and slimmed his sides down, realizing that the old outline was based on clothing, which made him look fat xD.
And an overall test image for various things. Tweaking the styles I found and messing around with weaponry. Nothing final yet.
EDIT: Also got the basic transition tiles finished up.