This topic will snuggle your internet.

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

This topic will snuggle your internet.

Post by doodstormer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 pm

I ramble a lot with my pictures, so instead of reading that you can just look at the pictures.

Also it probably goes without saying but there's almost a hundred pictures past this point, if you need to avoid the shrapnel from your internet exploding you should get started on that about now.

I like to pretend my ideas are mainstream game quality.

WARNING: Mindless rambling ahead.

The wizard guy who has not been named yet is the player. You are fighting the purple guys on some quest I haven’t determined yet.

The staff tips can both be switched out with different things discovered as you progress through the game. While the staff tips play a major role in its use, you can learn techniques and tricks that will work regardless of the way the staff is outfitted. You can also discover more amulets as well, increasing your magic arsenal.

All of these random ideas are just that, ideas, so if you have one or want to utterly crush my hopes of one, feel free to throw it out there.

Staff Tip Ideas:
Stuff that you put on the staff to do more junk.
Nothing – Sometimes, having just one equipped looks so cool.
Hook – The first tip you discover, also the most versatile. Can be used to swing from and grab onto high places, reach things through fences and barred windows, throw enemies, and scratch backs.
Lamp – A lamp secured to the staff on a hook. Provides light and burns things.
Blade – Turns your staff into a freaking glaive. Enhances the damage dealt by the staff. You can get two eventually, with which you can utterly butcher groups of foes.
Chain – A grapnel attached to the staff by a long chain. Essentially, it’s a hook with further reach.
Hammer – A huge, hefty hammer head. It can smash rocks and armored foes like peanut brittle, although its weight slows down the entire staff, preventing techniques like Pole Vault and Hover.
Wheel – A bracket with a wheel in it, for gliding along ropes and performing daredevil stunts.

You can use them in conjunction as well. For example, you have the hook on one end and the hammer on the other. You could hook the staff onto something on the ceiling, and the weight of the hammer would bring the whole ceiling/whatever you grabbed down.

Staff Technique Ideas:
Hover – Spin the staff like a propeller while you’re falling, to slow your descent.
Pole Vault – Run and use the staff to launch yourself a lot farther than you could normally jump. Fatty.

Amulet Ideas:
Names are working titles. Obviously they’ll get more arcane sounding ones once I can think of some.
Fire – The first amulet you discover. Gives a basic fireball spell.
Shield – Creates a magic shield to protect you from harm as long as it’s active. It can be broken by strong attacks like falling boulders and punches from huge baddies.

Other Stuff:
Random ideas that may or may not have anything to do with anything.
Throwing/dropping the staff – Instead of some mystical link that makes the staff just fly back to you, you have to retrieve the staff if you throw it at something or get it knocked out of your hands. Obviously, it would reappear on the edge or something if it falls into an inaccessible area or a really, really deep hole.

Smitty is Wizard Dude’s probably psychopathic sister, a blacksmith and a village outcast. Curtis is her pet rooster.
Smitty follows the player around to different zones as the ‘temp town smith’, but before you can acquire her services, you have to go on a side mission that involves saving Curtis in one way or another. Everything from being kidnapped by goblin chefs to catching a nasty case of chicken pox, you’ll be the one Smitty goes to for help. Bro.

One of the random ideas I was considering was that she could also function as a combat trainer, allowing the player to relearn the controls and other basics if they haven’t played in a while, as well as updating them on how their quest has gone so far (journal). That way if somebody just gets bored, then decides to come back and can’t remember what they’re doing or where they are they can just talk to Smitty instead of having to start over.

Rargh, Warhorn honor. Warhorn tear your liver out through eyesockets and reinsert it through the stump that was once your arm.

If you need to be told why they're called Warhorns, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

GOBLINS YAY

The benevolenti miscellanati that young Master Baggins will encounter in his travels.

She's a knight... ess? Whatever.

Kill the Dragon, Get Loot, Save the Girl. Now that's old school.

I miss those days...

SET THE BRAIN FACILITY ON FIRE

Queen to King's Knight B2 or whatever. I was inspired by MSPA's recent awesome chess wars thing they have going (Like this) and doodled this. I might do other pieces later depending on the duration of the unhealthy inspiration.

I always thought of bishops as like the chess equivalent of paladins or something similar.

Also yes, he's drawn to scale with the queen.

When I think of the way the Knight can go through other pieces I think less of him "jumping over" pieces rather than "shoving them out of his way". Thanks Brikwars.

Remember if you ever get him at a party, Captain Falcon doesn't just go to the fridge and get a beer, he goes and blows the fridge to smithereens, gets six bounties, and wins the F-Zero Grand Prix. Then he brings you a whole new box.

Also, I uploaded the coolest comic ever to my Flickr: F-Zero: The Story of Captain Falcon
That's what the next F-Zero game needs to be like.

I've been tossing around ideas for remaking Lunar City Arena (The thing you guys have probably forgotten about by this point). Anyway, to start it off we have the new and improved (improved drastically ;o ifyouknowhatimean) Scarecrow 2.0.

His brother owns the armory, you know.

I experimented with the "paste clipart for textures that are a pain in the ass to draw" technique for the kilt thing, and it worked much better than expected. I might have to try more elaborate things with it sometime.

Also, huge Scotsman with bastard sword. This is much closer to what I had in mind for MacFerdigan's appearance. Less ape-man, more big man.

You cannot possibly exaggerate Ghar enough. No matter what you do, he will never be fat enough.

Venomous is another guy I was glad I could portray more properly with my new and improved skillz. Looks more stealthy and less four-eyed Mexican.

After Avatar came out, I realized I'd have to redo Cassandra quite a bit. So now the new version looks less like a Star Trek alien (Woo it's a human but she's BLUE!) and more like a Star Wars one (Woo it's a human but she's blue and has TENTACLES for HAIR!)

Retrigard. Yeti with a chainsaw shotgun. I'd run too.

Kree'Tzul is bug-talk for Kickass.

I forgot to post Eli!

These guys are all trained like Green Berets. Not like there's any other options when you're working with a city full of psychopathic and violence obsessed gladiators. You know the type. Impatient, solve their problems with a fistful of bullets.

And now for something completely unrelated. My Five Bad Band, you should be able to guess which guys are what roles.

"Our weapons are useless! Let's keep shooting!"
Actually, that statement sums up every time I've tried to destroy vehicles in Brikwars. I get bad rolls and have no artillery.

Also I drew up the mook for my bad guy brigade. I was thinking of doing the other kinds but I realized they're all minor variations of the same basic thing anyway.

Goblins: The Goblins were once a great empire, who followed the lead of the great and wise Goblin King. But with his death, the Goblins collapsed into their old stubborn ways, quickly forgetting their knowledge and becoming dumb savages.

Myconids: The Myconids are greedy creatures of few words, but are excellent craftsmen. They have legends that below the earth lies a treasure of untold value, which they continuously strive to reach with their endless digging. They will even dig in completely random places occasionally, with vain hopes of finding their sought after treasure.

Ducks: The ducks are guardians of the Crystal Pond, who choose their leader based on the one who possesses the Silver Feather, the magical sword their legendary Swan king had once used to vanquish the Ants.

Fairies: The fairies are responsible for keeping the Great Forest alive. They dwell high above the other races in the treetops, unreachable by most, and a mystery to the rest. Fairies are incredibly unpredictable, being playful and carefree one moment, only to become very strict and violent the next.

Lizards: The Lizards are nomadic warriors, who follow the ancient Great Tortoise wherever he goes. According to their legends, the Tortoise is so old he has beheld the creation of the universe.

Ants: What they lack in size and strength, the Ants make up for with sheer numbers, their massive legions spreading destruction wherever they go.

Frogs: Elite, top-skilled survivalists, the frogs are highly dangerous mercenaries that have been hired by the Ants. They prepare the field ahead of their foes, and if you manage to fumble your way through their traps, they'll have already formulated 18 different ways to kill you.

Say hello to Suzanetta. She's a bit weird, you could say 'eccentric', but insane might be more accurate. Nobody asks about the axe.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Statue of Liberty is actually a highly sophisticated guardian, built to defend liberty in times of great need. It's not even worth it for the government to hide it, I want to see her bench-press a battleship or something.

So with all the millions and billions of dollars I get being a well-renown artist, I invested in a new form of technology with which I can share a few bits of my current sketchpad (Number 3 this year).

Nah I just took pictures of it like I used to do all the time.

Early sketch of Kree'Tzul. Notice all the random antennae.

Random stuff, from Wizard Dude to Sawbot to some kind of witch doctor. And an armored bumblebee.

You know how you sometimes have these moments where you do something completely illogical and idiotic for no reason whatsoever, and don't even know why? This is why. So next time somebody asks how on earth you drove nails into a hammer or why you're unraveling an entire mega sized roll of duct tape, blame Dust Devils.

The original inspirations for Willow Wood. Which, by the way, I'm working on my next post for.

Don't even ask about half of these. I like making random stuff.

Braveheart meets Wizard Dude. I was trying to make a character with a Yin-Yang face.

Rawk.

Get along little floppies. Gotta get this herd of microwaves to Georgia before sunset.

A kitchen is a low-budget mad scientist lair. Possibly better, since it has a fridge.
You can just assume she's a redhead, in case you were wondering.

Elf chick. I don't know how long it's been since I've drawn an elf.
You can assume her hair is red too just to stick with traditions.

A ninja, which, now that I look at it again, is giving me Andrew Hussie vibes. Must be the eyes that are doing it.

Sometimes I get a bit carried away. You can see the Homestuck influence here, but I can assure you she's not a clone of Vriska (Even though she's like my favorite MSPA character ever).
The dice rolls will summon various weapons (thus the wide array in this picture). Depending on various situations and specifics, the result could be anything from raining knives to a rocket launcher. And yes, I will be rolling actual dice to DM this character.

I always thought rocket-arms would be kind of cool. A bit impractical, granted, but still it would be pretty rad to hit somebody from a mile away with a rocket-powered fist.
This guy is very stubborn. He also happens to be really good at disappearing. His gun can do anything from paralyze somebody to melting the weapon in their hands.

Ghost Champion 2.0! If you even remember what he used to look like, you can tell this is a major change of appearance and armament.
He teleports and drops all varieties of goodies in inconvenient places. Being a highly regarded bounty hunter, he only needs one shot and thus only brings the very minimum number of bullets into a match. If it can be killed in one shot, he only needs one shot.

Guns and necromancy. What could go wrong?

And what sporting event is without its charismatic announcer? Flash O'Neill, the face of Lunar City Arena, who watches the action atop his cool little flying platform thing.

Most of this is just random doodles of how LCA cars work. Basically they all can fly and drive like the ones in BTTF2. This was because I like squealing wheels in car chases, but flying cars is also a requirement for space-themed stuff and are also cool. So why not both?

Right now I don't really have any gimmick or quirk for this guy, he's just sort of a hatchling idea. I was considering like some kind of super-boombox or something, but then I remembered the part where black people across the world would probably unite and collectively kick my ass for that.

This was somewhat influenced by that one Rapunzel movie that's being made. I wasn't really all that interested in the movie itself but the bit where she used her hair like a weapon was interesting.

Several days after seeing the commercial here I have a chick with a scarf reminiscent of the magic carpet from Aladdin. Funny how that works, isn't it.

The Medibots are the robots that scoop you into buckets and sort through the remains to find suitable parts for your complete regeneration. They are also known for being incredibly impartial to your suffering, a trait inherited from the dentist bots their design was adapted from.

And last but not least a map of the arena itself. Yeah that's right kids, a map. Not only am I forcing everyone to have the same kinds of cars but I'm also forcing people to use the same map. What cruel and unusual punishment.
Oh and there's a logo too which looks sort of like an 80's gas station sign or something now that I look at it again.

Freaking gobbos.

Dead End and Archimedes. Dead End tends to go overboard with the improvised armor.

The sketchbook has returned for another image dump.

B.B. Bison has been subjected to redesigns. Now he's a space cowboy minister that bounty hunts and fights in the arena for the heck of it.

The obligatory karate-ninja chick. Every action flick needs one and since LCA is partly a tribute to the films of the '80s, why the hell not?

Mr. Yuk, the man so mad he can feel no pain.

HACKLE THE DESTROYER. WORDS ARE NOT NECESSARY. RAGE WILL CRUSH YOU.

Danny "The Rich Kid" Armstrong Jr., son of Sir Armstrong and a master of unarmed combat. He will break you.
That is, if you don't accept his rather generous bribes and just walk away.

It's been forever since I've seen a character with true, extending, old-fashioned wrist-blades. Have those been phased out for finger-knives or something?

The cool psychic lady that uses debris as weapons and shielding. These types can be exceedingly frustrating because they're beating your ass while literally not lifting a finger.

Binario the Living Machine. This was based off one of Unknown's ideas. He's the result of artificial regeneration experiments gone wrong, and now he's mostly nanobots.

Yes, that's an Ent with an arm cannon.

Archimedes, we already know about him. What makes this different was that I inked and colored it with the help of a ballpoint pen and colored pencils. While it turned out very nice, I noticed it's harder to fix it for internet viewing since I can't just convert it to B&W.

Rex King, the manliest of manly men across the universe.
My brother felt his manliness required huge flaming winged letters, as he added there at the bottom.

Boom. Unnamed traps and explosives oriented character.

And last but not least, the familiar grinning face of Maulie! Yeah, you might not want to stand that close.

The Zelda series has got to be the greatest thing to grace gaming in mankind's history.

There, that should stall you long enough to make more of them. At least, those of you whose computers didn't explode from the dozens upon dozens of pics. You are a proud, noble few.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: This topic will snuggle your internet.

Post by stubby » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:59 am

doodstormer wrote:I like to pretend my ideas are mainstream game quality.
I would say these compare favorably with any given Newgrounds game, or with the first year of any successful webcomic. Therefore I recommend either starting a webcomic or learning flash and making a game for me to play. (I know what you're thinking, that it's awfully cheeky of me to sit back and just demand you make a game for me to play, but believe me: people do it to me all the time.)

I also liked the cameo from the red gen-1 "the s is for sucks" trogdor.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:23 am

Actually, if you're at all interested, I'd love to have another guy to help with the concept art. I need a lot of original ideas, and while it may be a bit darker than your usual stuff, I think you'd serve well. No offense, BFenix, just doin' business
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:58 am

Olothontor wrote:Actually, if you're at all interested, I'd love to have another guy to help with the concept art. I need a lot of original ideas, and while it may be a bit darker than your usual stuff, I think you'd serve well. No offense, BFenix, just doin' business
Its cool, the more the merrier!
Besides, these are some kick-ass drawings doodstormer, very original! You used PS or Flash, cause I have a feeling there is some flash around here somewhere! :)

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:10 am

Awesome! good work.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 am

stubby wrote:
I would say these compare favorably with any given Newgrounds game, or with the first year of any successful webcomic. Therefore I recommend either starting a webcomic or learning flash and making a game for me to play. (I know what you're thinking, that it's awfully cheeky of me to sit back and just demand you make a game for me to play, but believe me: people do it to me all the time.)

I also liked the cameo from the red gen-1 "the s is for sucks" trogdor.
Actually, I have a friend who's trying to make something out of it in RPG Maker. He's having difficulty with the sprites though, so I guess I'll see where that goes.
I would do a webcomic, but if I did so at my current pace VG cults would seem like a constantly updating fountain of mayhem and obscure references.
Flash though. I want to get my hands on Flash. The internet needs more timewasting material.
Olothontor wrote:Actually, if you're at all interested, I'd love to have another guy to help with the concept art. I need a lot of original ideas, and while it may be a bit darker than your usual stuff, I think you'd serve well.
Well if you don't mind my being a professional-grade procrastinator I guess I could draw pictures of space ships and aliens for you.
BFenix wrote:Its cool, the more the merrier!
Besides, these are some kick-ass drawings doodstormer, very original! You used PS or Flash, cause I have a feeling there is some flash around here somewhere! :)
Actually I just use Photoshop Elements, it's sort of like Photoshop with all the flesh removed from it and only a few vital functions intact. But it works better for me than Corel does.
I want to try Flash but I'm $800 short.
piltogg wrote:Awesome! good work.
Oh hey Piltogg's still here.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Holy crap, this stuff is great. I think a comic is in order for this, they seem a little more like comic material than game material IMO.

I also think you should make a full drawing/entry for that armoured bumblebee, that thing is wicked.

P.S. You mentioned an RPG maker, care to link me? Sounds interesting.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Nice work in there :)

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Olothontor wrote:Actually, if you're at all interested, I'd love to have another guy to help with the concept art. I need a lot of original ideas, and while it may be a bit darker than your usual stuff, I think you'd serve well.
Well if you don't mind my being a professional-grade procrastinator I guess I could draw pictures of space ships and aliens for you.

Actually, I meant for Sin, which is a high fantasy RPG. Should be right down your alley :D

PM me if you're still interested. As for the procrastinating, no worries; all 7 of the rest of us on the team do as well.
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Just dropping in to say that your drawings are mainstream quality. Seriously, I spend a good amount of time admiring your drawings when you post them. Some of this stuff is sheer brilliance, and the rest? Quality, my friend, quality.

Now go do something cool with it!
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:12 am

doodstormer wrote:
piltogg wrote:Awesome! good work.
Oh hey Piltogg's still here.
Yeah, I haven't really been posting much due to the lack of interesting threads at present....

masterMISICK
Officer

Post by masterMISICK » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:31 pm

These are truly awesome, it reminds me of this game called castle crashers you should look it up.
I would also be happy to help you out on any thing I am getting my own drawing tablet and a few programs soon. I am looking into drawn animation as well probably going to end up doing animation at university. So give me a week or 2 and i will be up for any thing, also i am going to start learning Java soon.
I like to look my enemy in the face through a high powered sniper rifle 2 miles away

Sorry for my boneriffic inability to spell.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm

If you guys end up doing any flash animations or games or whatnot, I think I'd be down for providing the music, voice acting, and SFX. Music Technology is a wonderful thing.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Ok, first I have to say: Thank God for T1

Now, on to the art: I love this stuff. I like the overall style as well as many of the creative elements. The Dragon on it's horde stood out as well as Kree'Tzul.

Thanks for posting these.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 am

Ah, with a following like this it shall not be long before I control the entertainment industries of the world! TV and Games will be mine! ALL MINE!

*ahem*

Look, more sketches!

I always thought Jawas were cool. Why don't they let you be a Jawa in any of the Star Wars games? They'd be cool mechanics.

That's not a Jawa, btw.

I just can't get over this guy's expression.

What is UP with them.

I don't mean to sound sexist, but why do the Electronics departments always get staffed by the scrawny girls that look like they just got out of High School? Can they REALLY lift those things?

Just some L4D-esque guys.

Farmer MacDaniels - Farmer MacDaniels is a moderately successful chicken farmer who owns a rather well-sized chicken ranch several miles out of town. But what really interests the team is his secret bunker he built in his basement in case of Communist invasion. While zombies aren't really the work of Commies, MacDaniels' intense paranoia makes him immediately blame anything - natural disasters, UFO sightings, even rounds of common sicknesses - on the Russians.
Jimmy "the Kid" LaRussa - Jimmy LaRussa LOVES baseball. In fact, he loved it so much that he moved down from Canada just to join in the major leagues. Unfortunately, he accidentally signed up for a minor, local, traveling team instead. After only a couple games, what was to hit but the zombie apocalypse. Now he uses his ridiculously fast pitches to disentigrate the rotting brains of the undead as his fellow survivors head for MacDaniels' ranch.
Uncle Steve - Uncle Steve is just your average, ordinary construction worker; Big, semi-illiterate, and capable of kicking zombie ass with prowess. The team uses his brute strength to get through situations where it's necessary, such as opening locked doors, moving heavy furniture, and pushing the car when it runs out of gas. He's not really their uncle, he just likes everyone to call him that.
Officer Copper - Copper is a straight-laced, no-nonsense cop, who takes her job very seriously. At least, she did when there was actually an organized police force. Now here and the other survivors travel around the town in her police cruiser, trying to find a way out of this forsaken place to get to the promised safety of MacDaniels' ranch. Also, she's the only one with access to and training with firearms.

Yay ridiculous hunchback boar things

Calio of Mytonul. You can call him machete-fingers, ladies.