Mantic miniature blog by Karetsu

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:26 am

Moar, this time undead, comments please!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:08 am

I like the skellies, very evil 8) . The blue and white is an interesting choice for skeletons, but hopefully with aging done it'll look nice. And you took and orc baby? you sick bastard.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:59 am

Mehehehhehhh..actually I think it's its own species (the orcling), who knows..
Btw, it's turqoise and white, am I doing it wrong or is the camera deceiving? :?

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

turquoise falls under the 'blue' category when I don't want to find the right word. :D

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Painted figures are awesome, you are great, Karetsu :D But let me disagree with you on the elven eyes. I purchased a box of elven spearmen not so long ago, and because of your comment, I tried to paint a face of a r&f model. It was so easy :D His eyes are not much smaller than a normal WH High Elf eye, and with a steady hand you can do wonders. If you wish, I can take a photo (of the face that I've painted in about 10 minutes :twisted: ).

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:28 am

Thanks zirrian. I have already decided to do the elves more better, but later, with eyes painted. I'm going to use your tutorial. But first I have to assemble the last of the dwarfs...I think your tutorial could work on them too? With darker colours.
Please, I'd love to see that picture!

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:44 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:Thanks zirrian. I have already decided to do the elves more better, but later, with eyes painted. I'm going to use your tutorial. But first I have to assemble the last of the dwarfs...I think your tutorial could work on them too? With darker colours.
Please, I'd love to see that picture!
Here we go:

This is the face. Please forgive me for the crappy camera work, this is all I could manage to show you that the face of the elves can be painted relatively easy. Note that the ears are nto yet painted, but in progress.

And here is the pal in all his WIP glory. My younger brother wants to play elves, and he chose that color scheme. I am quite satisfied with it.

And for the dwarves: my tutorial works on them too, the only thing that you have to stop the coating at dwarf flesh, mix elf and dwarf flesh, then elf flesh for highlight. If I can put my hands somehow on a bunch of dwarven guys, I'll show you. Wait, if my memory works well, I think I have a GW dwarf guy somewhere on my table...if you wish I can make a dwarven tutorial too :)

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:49 am

Wow! That elf is going to look fantastic! :)
If you can, I'd appreciate a dwarf face tutorial.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:53 am

Btw, do you guys/someone want to see the battle we are going to fight today? Dwarfs vs. Undead, no painted figures but could show how the KoW game system works.

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:57 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:Btw, do you guys/someone want to see the battle we are going to fight today? Dwarfs vs. Undead, no painted figures but could show how the KoW game system works.
Sure :D If you take my advice, you should also try Armies of Arcana. Even I haven't tried it yet, players in hungarian forums says that it's easy and fun, plus it have a unit creator, that makes it a lot more balanced system than WHFB.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:04 pm

I would also appreciate a battle, it would be nice to see how it looked. Also, Zirrian, that elf is amazing! tell your younger brother great choice on color scheme :D

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:50 am

Today I've finished the elf. Here's a pic:

When I first saw the Mantic elves, I thought that they are bad. But the somehow ridiculous poses and that interesting paintjob (white and light blue) made me think that. Overall, I like the figure, and if the entire elven range is like that, Mantic made me to stop standing before the GW's elves drooling. Especially with those prices...

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 am

Nice job! I especially like the blue gems. Any freehand planned for the shield?

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 am

I have almost finished a skeleton, update coming today. Btw, sorry about the battle, I was so exited I forgot to take pics :p...but overall, the game system is nice, we were all new to the game and it took about 2 hours! The movement and all is very simple, which fastens the game, and as the rules are only 12 or 11 pages, you don't have to look for long to find that single rule.

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:Nice job! I especially like the blue gems. Any freehand planned for the shield?
Naaaay, I'll just simply put a stag decal on the shield from the bretonnian Knight of the Realm sheet :) I plan to use different decals on every "squad" (about 40 model), and a bit different paintjob.

What a pity that you made no pics from the battle :) About how many units/figs needed to an army? I'm not quite fan of whfb, so I'm open for alternatives :P