Olothontor! To War!

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue May 06, 2008 4:41 pm

Nice 'The'. I think it should be 'L'Acte du Feu', to fully pansenize (pansy) it.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

youaredoome0
Hero

Post by youaredoome0 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:53 pm

What game is this? Are there a set of rules on the Internet?

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 am

youaredoome0 wrote:What game is this? Are there a set of rules on the Internet?
At present, www.vanguardrpg.com

We are using their space rules only. Don't bother with the core rulebook.. it's tweaked in my opinion.

Vanguard Space has all the same things I love about Brik Wars. Fully customizable stuff that makes huge explosions. It's hard science fiction too, so no breaking the laws of physics.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Wed May 07, 2008 9:19 am

Olothontor wrote:Sounds like a plan. I think I can safely say most of the rest of us are rooting for you!

Alright, calculating... yeah, I'm thinking you guys are gonna need to check some of my numbers here...

The Acte Du Feu (Act Of Fire) - Heavy Destroyer

30,00 ton est.

409 ton FTL ($818,000)
2250 ton Standard Binary Fusion Drive ($450,000,000(1g w/ ful load))
2250 tons of fuel and 180-ton storage tank ($90,000)
Hull ($3,500,000)
4 adv. comms units ($200,000)
2 Military grade sensor units (2 tons($200,000))
Targeting Vskill of 4 (16 tons($64,000,000))
15 3rd class crew accomodations (75 tons($150,000))
A single small airlock (1 ton($10,000))
+1 Evasion
Defensive ECM: -1 (200 tons($30,000))
2 basic 10 person lifeboats (2 tons($10,000))
1500 tons adv. armor ($3,000,000)
Armor Value: 2,250
[5,200 tons for Hull and extras]

Total cost without weapons: $819,068,000

WEAPONS:
6 small laser apertures (300 tons($12,000,000))
2 medium laser apertures (200 tons($40,000,000))
1 large laser aperture (400 tons($115,000,000)
1 very large laser aperture (1600 tons($600,000,000))
2 large missile launch tubes (20 tons($100,000))
4 medium fusion missile payloads (800 tons($64,000,000))
[22,320 tons for weapons alone]

Total Ship Cost: $1,050,168,000
Total Ship Weight: 27,520 tons

Damage Index: 230

The numbers seem a bit insane, and yet I've re-checked every time and I can't find out what's wrong with it. Everything comes out right! That and I managed to double the ton estimate I made in the beginning...
Problem one, engine size is only 8% of the total mass. In order to get 1G of thrust you'd need 25% devoted to the drive, which equals 6880tons at current total weight of 27520tons.

Whatever you're thinking the Delta-V is, assume you're having the same problem with the fuel in this case.

You did not list your Hull estimates. Can't say anything about them in that case.

FTL is way too small. It'd need to be 992.333 tons to fling 27520tons across the jump point.

15 crew bunks is too few. This ship will need approx 30 working 24/7.

Only problem with the weapons loadout is the large missile tubes but medium missiles. Missile and tubes must match.

No major issues, just some math tweaks.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 am

IVhorseman wrote:if one centimeter is 2500 km, how uh... BIG are your spaceships?
Some of the largest warships are 300m across their longest dimension. A few needlessly long warships can reach a whole kilometer.

So, most ship models, if any, are iconic representation only. With the incredible weapon ranges and ship speeds, the ships just can't play on a board big enough where you could see them.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 am

The beautiful thing is, I have no clue what they're saying.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 07, 2008 5:12 pm

none of us do, doodstormer. every so often, i'm tempted to figure out how this crap works, and make a small corvette to just show up in the middle of these guys' battle, firing missiles with a balls-to-the-wall attitude. but then i look at words like delta-v and Gs of thrust, and say screw it.

also, you claim that it's "hard science fiction without breaking the rules of physics", and then bust out words like FTL and Jump Point. which completely defy (known) physics. good luck with that though!

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 am

By "hard' they mean "mathier." But hey, looks like it can be fun for the sort of folks that would play it, so power to ya. :)
It's a secret to everybody.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Thu May 08, 2008 4:04 pm

IVhorseman wrote:none of us do, doodstormer. every so often, i'm tempted to figure out how this crap works, and make a small corvette to just show up in the middle of these guys' battle, firing missiles with a balls-to-the-wall attitude. but then i look at words like delta-v and Gs of thrust, and say screw it.

also, you claim that it's "hard science fiction without breaking the rules of physics", and then bust out words like FTL and Jump Point. which completely defy (known) physics. good luck with that though!
Also, no stealth in space. We'd see you coming from across the solar system.

As for the FTL, the law as explicitly stated is that matter cannot accelerate to the speed of light. No laws of physics prevents a multi-dimensional construct from connecting to points distant on our 3 dimensional manifold but practically the same in other dimensions. Technically, still not FTL and that will be the first thing I completely wipe from the much better system I am making. Not going to call it FTL if everything is still slower than light and merely jumping instantly from one spot to the other.

I'm thinking with portals.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Boomer wrote:No laws of physics prevents a multi-dimensional construct from connecting to points distant on our 3 dimensional manifold but practically the same in other dimensions.
no, but the laws of physics DO say that we can't connect two points on different dimensions. it clearly says so in Newton's 4th law of physics:
Sir Issac Newton wrote: Bitches can't do that shit. srsly.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Fri May 09, 2008 9:58 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
Boomer wrote:No laws of physics prevents a multi-dimensional construct from connecting to points distant on our 3 dimensional manifold but practically the same in other dimensions.
no, but the laws of physics DO say that we can't connect two points on different dimensions. it clearly says so in Newton's 4th law of physics:
Sir Issac Newton wrote: Bitches can't do that shit. srsly.
There is no scientific law stating that. While I agree that this idea for FTL is extremely unlikely, it is not impossible. So, it stays until someone comes up with something more likely or more fun.

Besides, at least take a Brik Warrior attitude towards this. It assists our ridiculously huge explosions, so we love it.
:D

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 09, 2008 10:15 pm

Human beings and all of our technology can only affect the third dimention because we are three dimensional beings. we have no time machines to alter the fourth (if you follow einstein's theory that time is the fourth dimension), and we are merely slaves to it. The laws of physics bound us to be able to manipulate only the first three dimensions. therefore, altering (and yes, tunneling through dimensions is "altering" them) other dimensions is physically impossible. Faster than Light technology is impossible, because matter cannot go at any speeds equal to or greater than the speed of light.

if you're talking interstellar travel without taking as long as it would at mere light speed, there's several other theories out there that don't require connecting two points in alternate dimensions (my current favorite is curving the space-time continuum and/or finding bends in it that we can utilize). is it actual science? eh. not really. but i admit it. FTL is a bad term simply because matter cannot physically travel at such speeds. you just need shorter, alternate routes for IRL hyperspace travel.

as for the game (i just lost the game), i am NOT criticizing, demeaning, or thinking any less of you for using this as an explanation, and highly encourage it. i just don't like it being called "LOLZ ACTUAL SCIENCE" is all.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sat May 10, 2008 2:29 am

Not going to go over what was wrong with everything you said point by point, but I will say this...

I already said I do not like calling it FTL, since it isn't. And the most 'science' that the jump points come to is not contradicting any of the known laws. The principles the jump point work on could be proven to not exist by the LHCs first test run. That'd mean the whole thing has to be retooled, not just renamed, by the end of the year.

This isn't even an argument, as we seem to completely agree. So what are you doing? :roll:

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat May 10, 2008 2:42 am

Boomer wrote:While I agree that this idea for FTL is extremely unlikely, it is not impossible.
Boomer wrote:It's hard science fiction too, so no breaking the laws of physics.
proving these false statements as false.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sat May 10, 2008 5:10 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Boomer wrote:While I agree that this idea for FTL is extremely unlikely, it is not impossible.
Boomer wrote:It's hard science fiction too, so no breaking the laws of physics.
proving these false statements as false.
How? Not one of those sentences is false or contradictory in anyway. No laws of physics are being broken.

Now it is clear, you're just trying to make me angry. If you want this off the boards that badly your wish can be granted. I'll take this elsewhere.