BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Ehhh...
I honestly prefer the original 2005 rules, despite a few layout errors. Less reading, and simpler.
I'll probably download a printable copy when it's up, just for the sake of having it on hand.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Chapters 1-6 look fine; ch.7 is mostly an improvement over its 2005 version, although some issues from 2005 remain. The one problem I have with it is that it's hard to do much damage to structures. The "-1 to Skill per 6" of target movement" rule makes it hard to accurately hit components, and the rules for Size damage means that doing any more than 1 point of Size damage per turn requires overwhelming firepower.

My suggestion is to rewrite the Size damage rules so that Size damage equals the attacker's damage roll minus the defender's armor roll. This has worked well as a rule for me and several others. Obviously you may have a different solution which you haven't revealed yet.

As for adopting the Mechanik build rules to forum battles: I don't think that Mechanix in forum battles will really be able to do much building anyway. Because their commander isn't on site to do the actual construction work, Mechanix in forum battles will probably be limited to re-attaching parts which have been destroyed.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

While in principle i like the Mechanik rules, they seem a bit complicated and clunky to me, and i honestly don't think i'll be using them often.

the problem with patch jobs, in my mind, would be this-

To repair that 8" red rocket you mentioned, I would end up using an 8" line of bricks, one stud high, and that simply doesn't make much sense as armor.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

That's the idea. It's not new armor, it's a reinforcing strut, like nailing a two-by-four across your door to strengthen it against Jehovah's Witnesses.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm

stubby wrote:That's the idea. It's not new armor, it's a reinforcing strut, like nailing a two-by-four across your door to strengthen it against Jehovah's Witnesses.
Stubby, they still get in my house. What sort of construction action should I use now?
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:48 pm

too much warhead worshiping. His pics are good, but you used them a few too many times.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 pm

I almost provided solvess with a link to lemonparty when he was asking for the 2010 rules.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:45 am

Silent-sigfig wrote:
stubby wrote:That's the idea. It's not new armor, it's a reinforcing strut, like nailing a two-by-four across your door to strengthen it against Jehovah's Witnesses.
Stubby, they still get in my house. What sort of construction action should I use now?
Next, nail a two-by-four across the Jehovah's Witnesses. They'll be too wide to fit through the doorway.
piltogg wrote:too much warhead worshiping. His pics are good, but you used them a few too many times.
This is something I also worry about, it's one of my bigger concerns. I'm trying to pull photos from more sources, but most people are just bad at setting up an iconic scene and photographing it well enough to stand alone and carry a clear message out of context. Most of them, even if the photography is clear, you can't figure out what's going on without before and after photos to support them.
Silent-sigfig wrote:I almost provided solvess with a link to lemonparty when he was asking for the 2010 rules.
Opportunity missed.
dilanski wrote:Cookies for anyone who'd give me a link?
http://www.lemonparty.org/

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:15 am

imfo, thanks stubby for making me go through and clear that out of my history before my dad sees it....
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Why would you even?
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Ah-hahahaha, octogenarian gives inflatable Granddad the kiss of life as friend looks on... :lol:

solvess
Dimmy

Post by solvess » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:33 pm

stubby wrote:
piltogg wrote:too much warhead worshiping. His pics are good, but you used them a few too many times.
This is something I also worry about, it's one of my bigger concerns. I'm trying to pull photos from more sources, but most people are just bad at setting up an iconic scene and photographing it well enough to stand alone and carry a clear message out of context. Most of them, even if the photography is clear, you can't figure out what's going on without before and after photos to support them.
You could make your own pictures.
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Yeah, and that's a stupid idea. He does not want to be arsed doing even more stuff, he wants you guys to get up off your fat lazy arses instead and to do stuff for the Forum you all say you love.

Fuck the Warhead Worship you jealous fags, I never asked for anything and I didn't do it for anyone but me, stick it up yar arse and do better or suck on my cock, shitheads. Ah-hahahahaha!

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:51 pm

dilanski wrote:In all honesty I prefer your art to the stuff you've lifted like the mechanik stat-card.
This. I'd post some of my stuff, but it's a pain in the ass to clean it up in photoshop. That, and I haven't quite mastered the art of drawing little plastic men.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 pm

dilanski wrote:In all honesty I prefer your art to the stuff you've lifted like the mechanik stat-card.
Sure, but it's a matter of math. I know how many free hours I have in a week, and how many hours it takes to draw even a little picture like that, and on average every small image I do for the rulebook delays production by a week. Four images delays it a month, a couple dozen delay it a year. Right now my spare hours are going to polishing the text instead, so for the artwork I'm look for alternate solutions.

As for releasing it a bit at a time... I'm just greedy for feedback. The changes get more provocative as the book goes on, so I know that once I release the later chapters, 100% of the feedback will be about those and I'll get nothing useful about the early stuff.

The book 2 rules were used to calculate the book 1 stats, just like I did with the stats in BW2001, so unless I messed up the math somewhere they should be 100% compatible.