What do you do for Terrain?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

All-knowing-ardvark
Champion
Champion

What do you do for Terrain?

Post by All-knowing-ardvark » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 am

Simply put, when playing a Brikwars game, what do you do for terrain? Do you spend massive amounts of time building terrain pieces, or do you hastily slap something serviceable together, and start playing? Do you hand-build all your rock pieces, or do you throw a BURP down, and be done with it (I suffer from this syndrome)? One wants to know...

P.S. Hopefully this is in the right forum...
POIT!

I AM the grand Tronchator of Femur! Fear my wrath!

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 am

same as silva up there.

if it is supposed to be in ruins or the like i just gater a bunch of grey/rainbow bits and set em down ad-hock. but if it is a fort/forest/other i slap down a few BURPs [to make walls for the forts and well. rocks for the forest and other.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 am

Depends on who you ask.

Ask Warhead, and he'll say epic fortresses
Ask ROC, and he'll say ruined streets
Ask Pes, and he'll say BASEPLATES

...But really, it doesn't matter what kind of scenery you use. I personally have just as much fun making the battlefield as I do playing the game, but I usually recycle structures due to laziness. Just put a little bit of cover out there, as well as a few things you can blow up (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), and you should be fine.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 pm

Have one extremely cool thing on the field and no one will look too closely at the rest.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:53 pm

As I have several hundred dollars in my normal wargame terrain, I use that. I have used my hills, sand bags, trees, bushes, walls, and bunkers.

I have built lego objectives and in one case my son built a small lego "fort" (more of a bunker) for his troops. But so far we have used what I already had.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Have one extremely cool thing on the field and no one will look too closely at the rest.
Pretty much this is the way I plan out a battlefield. I normally put out some baseplates for borders, and something nice in the middle. It works fairly well. ^_^

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Arkbrik wrote:Have one extremely cool thing on the field and no one will look too closely at the rest.
This. I usually have a bunch of functional stuff that the units can interact with (computers, valves, levers, buttons, etc.), and at least one awesome structure just for show. Then I randomly slap bricks together and toss 'em onto the table randomly.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Arkbrik wrote:Have one extremely cool thing on the field and no one will look too closely at the rest.
Precisely, give terrain to much attention and it will drive peoples eyes away from the carnage.

I havent posted any Brikwars battles yet, despite battling a few already. But when building the battlefield, you should keep in mind what sort of battle your playing.

-Is it Fantasy? Then a plain with few obstacles and mostly foliage, hot zone is pretty straight forward and obvious.
-Is it Sci-fi/Gun based? The build several ruins, low walls, murals and places to get cover. Several hot spots through out the field.
-Is it mixed/Typical Brikwar? Then both. Mix whatever props you have for cover, foliage, hot zones, neutral weapon mounts, etc...

The more diverse the field is, the more fun you have with it.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:36 pm

I normally just use as many base-plates as possible attached together and some bare bones structure, this makes the game quicker than large complicated multi-level buildings.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 pm

A lot of it is really how much prep goes into the battle. When at Brick fair we did a good half dozen battles with the terrain being nothing more then a few apoc building scatted on a table no baseplate to speak of really. When I do a battle though like at my house then half my prep is just building the terrain so it really does very.
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Depends if it is just a pick up game or something that I paned out for a long time beforehand. Usually I build <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> though.

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:21 am

I think terrain is a bit underrated here, whats the point of having an awesome army if it has to Fight for rainbow territory? this might be the wargamer in me coming up but two awesome armies fighting over an awesome battlefield will triple the awesome involved.

on th subject of baseplates: I've recently tested my idea of using a horizontal whiteboard as the floor of my battles. using black marker you can draw streets, impact craters and rubble, using green marker you can draw foilage and camouflage, using blue marker you can draw water and burning plasma, and Ill leave you to make an educated guess as to where you can use a red marker for.
I found it was quite succesful, it allows for a dynamic terrain board that could change after every artilerry strike. and as an added bonus its really fun to look at the board after you cleaned up the battle: a brikwars work of art!
- I refuse to be stopped by something as irrelevant as logic, the laws of physics, or common sense -

if 20 chickens can fit in a brick, how many pingpongballs does a crocodile have to eat so it can swim faster than a washing machine?

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

Ranger S2H wrote: ....I've recently tested my idea of using a horizontal whiteboard as the floor of my battles.
How do you deal with the "Whiteboard Dust"?

Doesn't it get all over your stuff?
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Whiteboard idea sounds great, even better than the paper zombie battle from a few months back (that was still pretty damn cool I must say).

I think I actually have a whiteboard, I'll have to give that a try. :D
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Being that I'm very short on bricks, I've found a better solution to my cover problem- I once had a very large amount of MegaBlocks, and I had thrown most of them out, but the devilish things persisted in corners of my closet to this day, so I built these little modular bits of ShitCover, ranging from just scattered rubble to 4x2x3 walls that can cover 1 minifig, to two large walls, one with 2 sides to provide a corner, and one that just is a large wall.

Both of them could easily hide a tank, so they all get well used.

Just drop them with maybe half a notion to strategic placement and bam!
Your hardwood floor is now a post-apoc wasteland!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything