This topic will snuggle your internet.

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:05 pm

I just used Picasion to do those, although I think Game Maker has a built in function to animate sprites as well.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Well, my tablet has finally stopped working, bringing Elements to a screeching halt and limiting me to the realms of traditional art and spriting.

I don't have any sketches at the moment, but I got an idea and ended up making all this:

I'm going for an NES look, although I may be using too many colors to be genuine.
Still working out the details on just what this is or is going to be, but even if I don't get something made I'll probably still use these characters somewhere. I like them.

Also:
ImageImage
Picasion doesn't have a setting where I can finetune the speed between "siezure speed" and "slow motion slideshow", so it looks pretty comical, but when I slowed them down to appropriate speed in GameMaker it looked fine.

EDIT: Easy Gif Animator gave me better quality:
ImageImage

Ex-Lep
Officer

Post by Ex-Lep » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 pm

dearest god. these are amazing, and remind me that i can't draw for shit. i wish you best of luck, and know im saving these pictures, if not published ill sell em all in twenty years.
We are Forum.
We are schizophrenic.
We are paranoid.
We are many.
We have multiple personality disorder.
We have no ruler.
We will devour you.
You will join us, sane or not.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:58 am

Well, you're right, you're definitely not using the NES palette, but that doesn't mean you can't go for that style. My Secret Santa gift has an NES look to it, but I certainly didn't use the NES palette either.

The running animations are fairly stiff, I suggest you make a visit here, it helps a lot (running animations are a HUGE pet-peeve for a lot of senior pixel artists, because they're often really poorly done). My main issue is that the girl's hands travel really far upwards and downwards, but her legs don't show the same dramatic motion, plus her chest, stomach, and head don't move at all to match.

Beyond that, good job (sorry if this is a lot of critique)!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

This doesn't need baseplates. It's fucking boss as it is.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Olothontor wrote:Well, you're right, you're definitely not using the NES palette, but that doesn't mean you can't go for that style. My Secret Santa gift has an NES look to it, but I certainly didn't use the NES palette either.

The running animations are fairly stiff, I suggest you make a visit here, it helps a lot (running animations are a HUGE pet-peeve for a lot of senior pixel artists, because they're often really poorly done). My main issue is that the girl's hands travel really far upwards and downwards, but her legs don't show the same dramatic motion, plus her chest, stomach, and head don't move at all to match.

Beyond that, good job (sorry if this is a lot of critique)!
Eh, I thought so. I tried to find some tutorials on 8-bit spriting/8-bit palettes, but nothing really turned up. I like them better this way anyways.

On the subject of the animations, I was keeping it restricted to 3 frames to keep in the spirit of Megaman and the various other 8-bit references I used, as well as giving it an old NES-game style. I did try to make it more fluid though for the girl, since it's more noticable on her than on the robodude.
I'll probably tinker with it for a while. I moved the legs to a more extreme motion to go with the arms, like you suggested, and moving the torso is still being fidgeted with.
Critique in any quantity is fine by me, as long as it isn't repetitive or condescending.

Also the current edition:
Added some more animations for the girl (jumping, skidding), put more crap on the big ship, and made some animated tiles. Also changed the badguy's weapon to a rocket launcher, since those are cooler anyway.

To be worked on is an "on-world" version of the robodude's ship (the little tiny one near the big ship's landing strip, you can see the WIP big version on here too), a better weapon for robodude than a stupid generic lasergun, and more badguys.
Last edited by doodstormer on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

WoW thats awesome, but you really need to get a new tablet, for elements.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Feel free to ask me for help, PM me or something if you've got specific questions. I'm not the best pixel artist out there, but I do my best to help.

The remainder of the animations LOOK fine, but I haven't yet seen them in action, so I can't honestly say (I have a really bad frame-by-frame eyeball).

Keep it up and I might help you make this into a full game. :wink:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 am

ikensall wrote:WoW thats awesome, but you really need to get a new tablet, for elements.
Yeah I'm looking to get it fixed/replaced asap, I hate not being able to continue that.
Olothontor wrote: The remainder of the animations LOOK fine, but I haven't yet seen them in action, so I can't honestly say (I have a really bad frame-by-frame eyeball).
Here's (I think) the rest of the animations:

I'm thinking the girl will skid when she runs. I haven't yet determined how the game will work or anything so I have no idea how rage-inducingly annoying that could turn out to be, so it may not last.

ImageImage
Climbing, nothing really elaborate but still a necessity. Needs a bit of tweaking.

Minor fix to robodude's running. I realized what looked so off about the running, I had mismatched the arms with the legs so they were moving in an unnatural way.

ImageImageImage
The baddies so far. The Lobber looks like he's throwing a fastball or something since I didn't animate the grenade (that'll vary depending on where it bounces off of anyway), but I think it'll look better when "in action".

A test of the animated tiles. They turned out pretty well.

There's a tank in the works, but I still need to tweak it before I decide whether it stays or goes.

EDIT:

Also bomber:

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Sketches!

Yay!

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:49 pm

I would really love to see more sketches, your style is great.

I honestly think you should make a comic book from them, although the likelihood of that happening depends on how dedicated you are to it.

The robot is definitely my favourite out of the three, although all of them are very nice.

Also, I'd still really like to see a full, finished character drawing of the giant robot bee on the first page. :wink:
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.