Clockworks - Webcomic

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Clockworks - Webcomic

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Re-reading Darths and Droids led to reading DM of the Rings led to reading Chainmail Bikini led to reading this gem of a webcomic.

Clockworks.

Oloth would enjoy this one immensely. Steampunk RPG Webcomic, mates.

On that note, that got me to thinking... How many of you have run or played in a RPG?
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:23 am

Played in, play in, ran and am running. Hooah.
It's a secret to everybody.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm

made a character for Das Schwarze Auge, but having dumped the GM made it kinda awkward to continue.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Awesome, thanks Ross. Glad to have a friend who recognizes what my hard-ons are for.

In regards to the RPG question, I'm playing in, designing, and running several. Have been playing and running since I was 6. Hooah.

Also, I frequently start designing game worlds, but those never make it beyond a few pages worth of scribbled notes.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:37 am

No problem! You lucky bastard, as I've said before. I've got nobody to play with, poor homeschooled me...

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:26 am

... Have I mentioned that I mainly play with my parents? It's not the fact that I have gaming friends (of my age) outside of the family, it's the fact that my family is gaming-centric.

I wish you had a Steam account, I've been known to run games online through there. Maybe I'll run a more legitimate forum RP later on, but so far I'm not liking the style of those. Gotta find a way to get more of that true roleplaying feel to it... the problem with forums RPs is that everything has to be based on action; conversations are damn near impossible, and a single legitimate conversation would take weeks to finish, and by the time that's done the game has progressed not at all. Bah, I'm rambling. Silly me.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:24 am

I've tried to get my parents to play videogames once or twice, and the best I've gotten is my dad running around in circles in Halo 3 chucking grenades at walls.

True table-top gaming is hard to do for me, while I'd love to do some Dungeons and Dragons, my sourcebooks are outdated( Bought them a year before 4th ed, so im stuck with the core 3.5 and a Players handbook and DM guide II. Additionally, I don't like playing with strangers, and there's maybe one of my friends that could be willing to try something so ingrained into the nerd stereotype as D&D. Unfortunately, even if I both play a character and DM (conflict of interest FTL) I still don't have the 5-man party I should.

:phil: Man, I complain <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a>, don't' I?
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am

Actually, I really don't suggest 4e. Don't bother.

What I WOULD suggest is getting into Pathfinder, which is Paizo's compromise between 4e and 3.5e. They took all the kinks in 3.5e and smoothed them out, without going way overboard on the simplification of the rules, like in 4e. Here, check out the SRD, you'll see what I mean. They changed a lot of stuff,and for the better.

Ex: Pathfinder simplified all of the weird useful rules like Trip, Grapple, and Bull Rush that everyone wanted to use but nobody could because the rules were so complex. Now, all you have is a Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and it works just like an attack vs. Armor Class, except it's using your CMB against your opponent's CMD.

There's tons of stuff like that. Plus, the setting for Pathfinder is really neat in places, and is suited to a wide range of playstyles and genres. Paizo really went out of its way to ensure that Pathfinder was flexible (there's even a continent dedicated to steampunky stuff, entitled the "Savage Land of SuperScience," although if you wanted that you might as well just play Eberron with Pathfinder rules, the way the FBI does).

P.S. Sorry for derailing your thread, Ross. I guess you kinda started it, but still. This is a bit overboard.
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 pm

What? This was my point!

Yeah, when I asked mum about DnD, we ended up having an intense conversation about the satanic rituals that attract criminals to the game.

Thanks, Uncle Douglas, you jackass.

But Pathfinder doesn't have the DnD name attached to it... Hrm. A viable option!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 pm

As I said, it's great stuff. If we can find a chat program (you know how to use IRC?) maybe I could set up a Pathfinder game with you and one or two others. I'd be happy to run an introductory game to get you guys used to the rules and setting. Keldo, you're invited too, if you're interested. Use the SRD, make a 5th level character (that's a good level for a test game; not underpowered by any means, but not so overpowered that it's ridiculous. Also the monsters won't be horrid, but not too easy).

This is all presuming we can find an agreeable chat program for us to use. I refuse to do this as a forum game, it just doesn't work.
-=[ Visage ]=-

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:14 am

Mibbit apparently has a large IRC following. I do have a Steam, but since I haven't purchased anything with it, most of the functionality is disabled. I'll take a look at the SRD.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:56 am

I never bought anything with Steam... get someone to gift you something small, that should kickstart it. I'm pretty sure mine only works because MetalSlug decided to buy me Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (which doesn't run on my poor put-upon laptop anyway). So... yeah.
-=[ Visage ]=-