Shotguns and more

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Kommando
BrikWars Legend

Shotguns and more

Post by Kommando » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:35 pm

I have a couple questions of which I could not find in the Core Rules (2005), and since my brother and I are just starting I was wondering if you guys could help me.

1) Shotguns. Those nice rifles that cover large areas with deadly fire: Take to rulers or tape measures, and start at the tip of the barrel of the shotgun. Form a V shape that should have a 2-inch gap in-between the 4-inch marks.
Use: Like a small ranged weapon (3). Attack: 1d10

Any suggestions for improvement?

2) Flame thrower. Death unto ye who dares to cross my path! A small ranged weapon, 6 inch range. Burn ability: Anything in the 6 in. is toast, attacks allies and enemies.
Use: 4. Attack: 2d6

Any suggestions for improvement?

I'll add more later as I build 'em.
Last edited by Kommando on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You like to write stories? My forum: http://thewritersclub.forumotion.com/index.htm

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Looks fine to me.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Bleep
Champion
Champion

Post by Bleep » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 pm

The flame thrower seems slightly overpowered for the use roll. At that roll, 50% of the time, a normal minifig could completely burn your incoming troops with melee weapons.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:38 pm

flamethrower should be limited to 2 usses or it runs out of gas

Taggerung
Warrior King

Post by Taggerung » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:38 pm

piltogg wrote:flamethrower should be limited to 2 usses or it runs out of gas
I second that motion!

Airpi
Champion
Champion

Post by Airpi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 am

In a recent game I played, we had a guy who wanted to use vehicle sized flamethrowers. We treated them as vehicle weapons that had half the standard range, but did damage as an explosive. It worked out alright, but there's probably a better way to handle them. Finger-cones and whatnot.

They had their good points though. They all had exposed hoses that were promptly shot off and sprayed fire all over the place, and that's always a good thing.

For a minifig-portable one, one idea for limiting the fuel would be to require them to carry around cans of fuel. Make one can good for three bursts or so, and have them treated as explosives for added volatility. Some pyro torching your dudes before they can stab him? Just shoot his fuel supply. That'll teach 'em.

Also, hello.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 am

Here's an idea on shotguns from me.
Shotgun (2-handed) A reliable standby weapon, shotguns are typically employed when close-quarters fighting is expected. Or by rowdy thugs who relish the recoil and carnage that follow this gun.
Use: 3
Range: 6"
Power: 1D6

Ammunition: Pick which ammo the shotgun has at the beginning of the game.
Spread-shot: These shells explode on firing, blanketing an area with hundreds of metal bb's of death. You may fire at 2 targets with the same roll, provided they are within 1" of each other.
Solid Slug: Heavy, solid, and unreliable at long range, solid slugs are used tot ake down heavily armored or tough targets. Within 3", the Power of the shotgun attack is doubled to 2D6.
EDIT: Due to picky people. ;)
Last edited by feuer_faust on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a secret to everybody.

Airpi
Champion
Champion

Post by Airpi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:48 am

Considering that hand weapon range is 6", 8" might be a bit much for a shotgun. I like how you handle the spread factor though.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 am

Airpi wrote:Considering that hand weapon range is 6", 8" might be a bit much for a shotgun. I like how you handle the spread factor though.
Sorta. I figure it occupies that gray area between pistols and rifles, and is much more effective up-close than far away. 6" just didn't feel right, not did 12".

Airpi
Champion
Champion

Post by Airpi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:02 am

Mm, having it in between makes more realistic sense. I was thinking in sort of hyper-exaggerated terms. Video games have taught me that shotguns are useless against anything more than five feet away.

Kommando
BrikWars Legend

Post by Kommando » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:45 am

feuer_faust wrote:Here's an idea on shotguns from me.
Shotgun (2-handed) A reliable standby weapon, shotguns are typically employed when close-quarters fighting is expected. Or by rowdy thugs who relish the recoil and carnage that follow this gun.
Use: 3
Range: 8"
Power: 1D6

Ammunition: Pick which ammo the shotgun has at the beginning of the game.
Spread-shot: These shells explode on firing, blanketing an area with hundreds of metal bb's of death. You may fire at 2 targets with the same roll, provided they are within 1" of each other.
Solid Slug: Heavy, solid, and unreliable at long range, solid slugs are used tot ake down heavily armored or tough targets. Within 4", the Power of the shotgun attack is doubled to 2D6.
I like that. But I must say the range is a bit strong for a shotgun. Most would only have a range of at max (and that's a hunter's version) of 7". But that's me.

@ Piltogg:
What I meant by use is the Skill Roll.

@ Airpi:
Hmmm... Your right. I'll edit in a fuel limit. Something like rocket launchers, you have to buy a can o' fuel. My flame throwers don't use a backpack ammo stock. I have built a small can on the bottom of the weapon. A sniper or well placed shot would be needed to nail it.
You like to write stories? My forum: http://thewritersclub.forumotion.com/index.htm

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 am

That's fair, given the nature and size of Brikwars, doing 6" range would work easier.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 pm

No, i think 8" is fair.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:44 pm

What I do for flamethrowers is hide a bunch of red cylinder pieces around the battlefield. Each counts as a single burst of flame from a flamethrower. No units begin with a flamethrower, but they are hidden on the battlefield (usually in the most unreachable spots). So your troops can get a flamethrower, but they also need to find fuel tanks in order to use it.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:49 pm

yeah, 8" is totally fair!

as for flamethrowers, i see no reason as to why to limit them at all. of course, since i do fire differently than everybody else, that makes more sense.

what i'd recommend for your style is that it can only fire in bursts. as in, it can shoot for one turn, but it'd have to wait a turn before it could shoot again.