Pocket Dungeon

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Pocket Dungeon

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm

A free print-and-play from a guy on BoardgameGeek.com, this is a great RPG for playing during school/work, because it's designed to be stealthy. You can fight the legions of the undead, beat down cultists, and tackle stonegiants, all while appearing utterly studious and working.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/downl ... ungeon.zip

There's also an expansion that introduces Blessing/Cursing magic items, weapon Aspects, as well as some new potions, scrolls, spells, weapons, and a bunch of other stuffs.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/downl ... ipment.zip

This game is seriously great. My very first runthrough used up literally 3 hours and 45 minutes of my school day, and ended up with Clark (my resident leather-wearing, brass knuckle-wielding badass) racking up the Undead kills like nobody's business, and also a pretty neat-looking Dungeon:

It's also a great general-purpose timewaster, like most games. You don't even need to play it in stealth mode for it to be enjoyable (you could even use actual dice).

The only real downside I've come across is that ranged-based characters tend to get really screwed over by the DunGen system, since the average room size is 4 squares. Still, easily fixable. Just adjust the room size table to something more grandiose and you're good to go.
Last edited by Olothontor on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm

And to think I used to waste time in class while looking busy by playing games on my calculator.

Thanks Olothontor!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Glad to be of service ;)

Also, as a sidenote: feel free to use this thread as a place to dump your Pocket Dungeon mods, expansion sets, and other related minutiae. I'd love to see what a more-than-healthy dose of your average BrikWarrior will do to this game.

My games generally go like this:

Code: Select all

Begin with an empty room at the "entrance" to the Dungeon, and create an exit on the opposite end of the graph space (generate the room as per usual, with random doors and size, but no monsters or treasure). From there, scale normally, bust heads and load up on the gear. When you reach room #30 (or whatever the boss room is, it depends on the version you're playing), multiply the number of tiles in the room by 11, so that you have a nice amount of space with which to confront your boss battle. From there, fill it with whatever you like (for instance, a Boss room in an Undead themed Dungeon might have catacomb-esque offshoot rooms of one or two squares each with chests, traps, and monsters in them). After defeating the boss, go back and open all the doors you didn't open along your dungeon crawl, but for each room generated in this way, don't generate any new doors. Then, proceed to the exit, ???, and profit!
But that's just the way I do it. I'm also toying with the idea of Dwarf Fortress-style adventure logs. If well done, it could provide for both comic and serious moments, and be altogether great reads. May or may not try this tomorrow at school.

EDIT: In addition, I'm tossing about the concept of a co-op runthrough mode with a friend. Here's my proposal for a co-op PD mod so far:

Each player makes a supporting character of a different class, and then use a Deluxe sheet for both the space and slightly lengthier Dungeon scale system. Up the room size table by a decent amount, and then use the "hard" rules on the monsters to compensate for the two PCs.
That also conveniently fixes the ranged combat bug.
Also, treasure chests could possibly gen two items instead of one. Or you could leave it as-is and simply divvy it up between the PCs. Either way would work there.

Alternatively, monsters could simply be rolled up by both players instead of just upping their difficulty, so there could potentially be 8 critters in a room. I feel like that would get crowded real fast, though, even with the larger rooms.

If anyone playtests this or has any helpful tweaks, don't hesitate to let me know, I'd love to hear about it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder
Location: Checking back in between animations for Warhead's follow up to ZZD

Post by ForlornCreature » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Looks cool, still trying to wrap my head around all the battle mechanics and hero attributes, and all the "SIMPLE!!!" things in the second half of the manual.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Heh, it does take some getting used to, but once you've got it it's more fun than a busload of cheerleaders.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 pm

That sounded extremely nerdy

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 pm

What's nerdy about a busload of Cheerleaders? Just ask Warhead.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 pm

If anyone would know, it would be Warhead. I believe it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:57 pm

The fact that he said that a game on a piece of paper is much more fun.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 pm

My issue is more than none of the cheerleaders would let me ONTO the bus, let alone let me talk to them. So really, I'd have a busload of cheerleaders, but only be able to stare. As long as I'm not doing anything else... POCKET DUNGEON TIME.

So really it's an ironic and eternal circle. All roads lead to the Pocket Dungeon. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
-=[ Visage ]=-

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Ill try it out, sounds interesting! Is it a solo or can you play it with more people?

RedShirt
Officer

Post by RedShirt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 pm

I'll try this out, definitely. Actually Robot Monkey told me about it today, so I feel like I need to try it.
Brik-Hed will rule you all!!!!!!!

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Wait, what happened to the Warhead snuggles a bus load of cheerleaders game?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

BFenix: That was actually part of the conversation I was having (mostly with myself). I'm working on a multiple-player mod with a friend of mine, the proposal is in my second post, I believe.

Warhead: Go do it for real, you might get much more stimulating results than trying to get your buddies on BBF to tease you about it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Listen guys, this has been bugging me the whole time. I don't know what pocket dungeon is, but it sounds like a euphemism.