Warhammer High elf army-blog

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Warhammer High elf army-blog

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm starting a blog here to get me paint guys faster.

Short story about what I'm doing:
Trying to paint as many helfs as I can in a month as after a month there will be a warhammer mega-battle in a gaming club here.
So keep me painting.
REMEMBER: I'm trying to paint quickly but neatly, don't wait for masterclass-stuff.

Tested some colour schemes and chose a simple lightblue-yellow style. Damn you if you think 'em swedish.
As you can see 4 are ready now, and they took about 2 hours. Good enough?

One was chosen to give you some closer views.

I wanted to show you my custom-made Korhil(helf special character), turned out good? Made from lion chariot and noble parts. Not painted :D

My BSB, converted from an Island of Blood ellyrian reaver.(before painting the banner)
The wip banner.

Fuck. I forgot to take a better pic of my spearmen champion, here you can see something. Better pics (hopefully) tomorrow.

Still a lot to paint.

Comment, plz.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Well, that colorscheme seems to work. How long did those four spearmen take you?
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Re: Warhammer High elf army-blog

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Killer Karetsu wrote:
As you can see 4 are ready now, and they took about 2 hours.

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Returned for a while...to give some advices on painting.

The first that you should always check your minis about moulding lines. The line on the first spearman is a bit disturbing. Not a hard work, but you can improve the quality of your finished models drastically.

The second is that you should use ogryn flesh (or any other similar ink wash if you prefer not the GW's products) on the faces of the elves. It will give a depth to them, with little effort.

And you also have to practice drybrushing, or use highlighting on little surfaces as the cape (or what is under their scale mail), and also on the other clothings on your army. Believe me, it's so easy. Just undercoat with midnight blue and paint the upper parts with enchanted or whatsoever blue, then if you're not quite satisfied with it, give him a blue ink wash.

I hope that I'm wrong, but for god's sake, never paint yellow on a black undercoat :) Coat it with white, or grey, dark yellow or maybe light brown, and yellow is just after them. I suck with yellow, as many others do, but believe me, even the right undercoat can make the yellow a bit brighter and cooler.

I don't know if you've finished the spearman champion, but the runes on the sword may need some colouring, according to your army scheme, light blue might be the best.

Your conversions are cool, I love the hero and the mounted BSB. Keep up good work with them, I wish you good luck.

I hope that you will take it as constructive criticism, and not trolling :) If you need any advice on painting, feel free to ask. I have some high elves at home (unpainted) so I can show you the technics that I've described to you.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Also, whoever starts nitpicking zirrians grammar gets a punch in the face :P

On-topic: nice elves, I wish I had enough patience and skill to do minis.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you zirrian for your advice, and I CAN do better, but they look cool from afar and ok from close so I'm pretty satisfied with them. Not working for them more I have worked. But in the future I might try to paint all to a high standard, but not now. Thanks anyway, :D
I'm going to spend more time on the heroes of course.
For me drybrushing is fun and easy, and I think the pictures give no glory tgo the figs, or maybe Im just defending them.. :)
About the yellow, hmm...I have given two coats so it looks good enough for me.
Short: I'm happy with them now, altough now I do want to get something under the light blue. Quantity over quality...not very high-elfish?
But zirrian, if I do not change them for now, do they still look good enough?? :?:

EDIT: And I know most of the painting techiques(highlighting, drybrushing, layering etc), but higlighting is too fucking annoying for rank and file troops.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 pm

And I forgot to say, flesh is going to be highlighted with elf flesh, but my brother has lost it :evil: :evil:

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Killer Karetsu wrote:Thank you zirrian for your advice, and I CAN do better, but they look cool from afar and ok from close so I'm pretty satisfied with them. Not working for them more I have. But in the future I might try to paint all to a high standard, but not now. Thanks anyway, :D
I'm going to spend more time on the heroes of course.
For me drybrushing is fun and easy, and I think the pictures give no glory tgo the figs, or maybe Im just defending them.. :)
About the yellow, hmm...I have given two coats so it looks good enough for me.
Short: I'm happy with them now, altough now I do want to get something under the light blue. Quantity over quality...not very high-elfish?
But zirrian, if I do not change them for now, do they still look good enough?? :?:
You're welcome. If they are just TTQ, then they are ok :) But if you want to show them to your friends or relatives, you have to use some wash. I'm okay with your drybrushing too, but on the shorts another layer might be good.
And for the yellow, trust me, it could look like ok, but after some days you will look them, and say "Wtf? It wasn't so bad..." and you want to repaint them. The same happened with me so many times so I've learned to avoid those little mindfuckeries.

And if you really want quantity over quality, try dipping :) You can paint a whole army within a few days with a really nice tabletop quality. Even if you don't want to paint them to be the "best-painted-army-ever", that flesh wash is highly recommended. I don't have a close-up from any painted faces right now, but it can really give a nice shadow effect on a mini's face.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Uh, TTQ??
Dipping? Nah, it would seem like cheating to me. I'm happy now, thanks. But as I'm going to paint the characters to a high standard, i would love to see the shading effect of yours.
On-topic: Painted the front rank almost ready today, and did some other things. Still not worth picturing.

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Table-Top Quality :)

Many painters say that dipping is cheating, but IMHO it's the perfect way creating a near-perfect looking army in only a couple of days. I want to dip a whole 1:72 scale medieval knight army for a gift to my grandmother.

But in some cases your decision is correct. First all of us have to learn how to paint and only after that a man can search for alternatives painting a huge army. As for me, and my bretonnian army, not dipping is the best choice. The knights have to be done with normal painting, highlightning inking 'n stuff, and the peasants...well, I love painting peasants. A friend of mine has at least five armies, and he prefers dipping because of the large size of his armies (skaven, dark elf, dark angel, eldar...).

And if that helps, here's the link to my painted bretonnian gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/zirrian/Bre ... 4_K9PSb5gE#

And as always, feel free to ask :)

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Ah yes. I'm aiming for TTQ.
Nice bretonnians, you have some of the older peasants! i like them too!

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

fucking epic work. nice job with the painting and shit.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm

:O Seems like I completely forgot this topic! So, here is the conclusion of what I got ready before the battle..

19 swordmasters (2 not in the pic, notice the head on blade of the champion)

Rest of the lot. Sorry about the blurry pic and lack of details, if someone wants more pics then ask.

THE BATTLE (not all of it, but meh)
If I remember right it was
skaven, high elves, lizardmen, vampire counts and goblins versus warriors of chaosx2, dark elves, daemons.

Ignore the faces.

It was as enjoyable as exhausting. Lasted nearly a day! We didn't even get finished...

Now, I still have a lot of helfs to paint, but those new tomb kings just make me all crazy...

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

I hope the good side won :)

By the way, what were those headless bretonnian knights? Conversion, or proxy?

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Proxy, I think. They fitted in, though.