March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 1

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 1

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:49 am

Entry:Lead by a blue wizard--emissary of the majisticks--Lucien's Dragon Guard arrive on the field of battle. Rumors flew on the wind of a great marshaling of forces, of beasts and bricks never seen before in all the realm. The rumors were true. Men flying on ancient lizards, carriages screaming across the battlefield without horses, and worse, giant iron cylinders spewing flames and lead. With just a handful of spear-persons, slayers, and archers, they would be put to the test...

Good day everyone; here is the first of the March 6 battle reports. A couple of things before we get going. 1) I'm just going to narrate the pictures; I'm much too lazy right now to come up with storyline, etc. All you want to see is dismembered bricks anyway. 2) This first battle was a five-way engagement between Pulp-adventure, 2x Medieval, Native Americans (with a DSM conscripted), and Go-kart squad. CP point limit was 250. 3) The table was quite large, and the pulp-adventure general and I drew the same end of the table. Because of the sheer distance between us and everyone else's forces, the battle became essentially a one-on-one. Sorry if you were hoping for more. 4) Because our lego terrain was limited, we also use Warhammer proxy buildings for scenery. It works out quite nicely. But I digress...On to game 1!!!

Turn 0/Deployment.

Here are the Rev's medieval forces arrayed (250 CP). Wizard hero on a griffin, 6 slayers, 6 spear-persons, and 2 3-person squads of archers. The force seemed solid at the time, but if I were to fight this engagement again I'd probably drop the griffin for a ballista or two and some extra archers.

This is why I did not commit any figures to the epic battle in the center of the table (pics later). "Mouse" deployed a squad of blue-coat Gurkhas and a cannon opposite me. Not an overwhelming threat, but recall that my range choices are WAY limited.

But that's not all: two motorized cars and Kentucky Smith riding a pterodactyl deployed on the other side of the church ruins. Lets pincer the Dragon Guard, shall we?

Turn 1:

Mouse moves his forces forward. At first it seemed as if his hero was going to fly toward the main battle, but this move was a definite decoy. Crash damage and rife fire are starting to worry me something fierce.

In response, the Rev moves his own forces forward.

Turn 2:

Gurkha's and cannon continue to advance. The cannon fires at the griffin, whose armor (and maybe even a saved feat) easily deflects the shell.

The cars split apart and Kentucky Smith (who's mount carries a stick of dynamite!) eyes the clustered spear-persons with a debonair smirk.

Knowing that his infantry will fair terribly at the hands of a rifle squad, the wizard urges his griffin into a daring charge in an attempt to plow through some Gurkhas. 5d6 damage should take a couple guys out, right? WRONG! Only one death, and the wizards spell attempting to flame-thrower another group fails while the Heroic Staff is flung from his hands...well that didn't go as planned...at all...

Infantry move forward, all of them saving actions so they can bait and bail as the cars attempt a ramming maneuver. The Rev needs to get in CC somehow.

Turn 3:

A pretty important shot that kept the Dragon Guard in the game. slayers bail as the car screams by, and Kentucky Smith FAILS a use 2 dynamite drop to the back of the spear-persons (who are in shield wall formation; so out of fairness, the use might have been 4...). Kentucky also misses with his shots. Yes!

THUMP! Baron Scar: "What the HECK was that?! Did we just hit something?" Olivia: "I don't know...I only saw it at the last minute! Gurkha's, go have a look!"

Gurkha Leader: "Holy Moly it's still alive! Fire boys!"

So much for the griffin idea...AND Olivia jumped out of the car and picked up the Wizard Staff. Brilliant, just brilliant...

While extraneous cannon and rifle fire downed several more Dragon Guard, the surviving slayers either moved toward the massing Pulp troops or attacked the Financier in his car, successfully dealing one wound. Archers attempt to slay the Pterodactyl to minimal effect.

Spear-persons reform so that their bonus is relevant front and back.

We might actually be on turn 4 now, but whatever. One slayer survives long enough to get in CC with a rifleman. Financier has a slayer hanging on his car for dear life!

Turn 4:

We're definitely on turn 4 now. At any rate, a massive explosion rocks the cannon crew! Wizard spell successful at igniting the cannon's gunpowder for a nice shrapnel party.

Smith is still flying around being pretty ineffective. Archers are still unable to slay his mount. A slayer attempts to chuck the dynamite at Kentucky, but a well-placed "whip" causes the stick to blow up in the medieval's face.

Turn 5:

Fearing wizard shenanigans, the Gurkha leader engages him in CC while reforming his squad's survivors into Baron Scar's truck. Wizard Angry...

Mr. Financier speeds into a violent backwards turn to attempt to throw the medieval guy off the car. It doesn't work, and they are still locked in CC, pistol butt to axe-n-sword!

Turn 6:

Baron Scar's forces drive away while the wizard and the lieutenant duel to the death.

Olivia waves the wizard staff around a couple of times and manages to get a spell off. A well-placed bonfire slays two spear-persons and disrupts 2 more.

With his arcane sword, the wizard finally slays the Gurkha lieutenant! He has their flag! Moral, if late victory!

...short-lived, for as he attempts a spell to overturn the Baron's car, a wild ricochet causes the wizard to disrupt himself!

Turn 7:

...what's worse...an absolutely sick crash damage roll severs the wizard in twain. The outlook is getting grim. On the plus, however, several riflemen where slain by charging spears, so the car's population is quite diminished.

...and at LONG LAST the slayer slays Mr. Financier, stows his weapons in the trunk, and preps himself to set this metal contraption into high-gear!

The slayer does just that and rams headlong into a surviving rifleman. Well, a now dismembered riflemen :-)

Endgame:

At this point, despite critical losses, the Dragon Guard still outnumber the Pulp-heros 2:1. Kentucky, Baron, and Olivia decide that their newly acquired wizard staff is treasure enough. They drive off into the sunset (actually, we just called the game so we could get some pizza and prep for massive battle #2).

The 10 remaining Dragon Guard view the plastic carnage on the battlefield, drawing straws for who is going to have to explain to the Majistick that one of his prize shadow-clones was run over by a jeep...

Highlights from across the table:

So while pulp-adventure and Dragon Guard were locking horns, another battle was being waged across the table...here are some shots from that encounter.

Here are there forces arrayed (shown in the previous teaser). At the top is the force of smg go-karts. They are currently blazing to the center to engage the Native Americans. To the right; Mez's knights plodd toward the center as well. Those swiss pikemen are going to tear crap up!

Because they didn't have enough CP used up, the Natives conscripted a white DSM (with deathsniper) and an ROV (with autocannon). This is why, when engaged with Sci-Fi, Medieval can't have nice things...

More go-karts and Natives charging each other outside the haunted tee pee.

Well, the go-karts didn't actually fare too well. When they tried to ram the horses, POP simply trounced MOM and the go-karts came to a screeching halt. Then when Mez came in with the flank-charge...yeah...poor go-karts...

Well boys and girls, that was game #1. Hope you enjoyed it. I'll pick up soon with Game #2 where my Ordo Sci-Fi force gets its first test run :twisted:

all the best,
Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:59 am

First, this was great. Some fun looking stuff. :D

But I also want to say: Thank You for the clear, clean photos. Made looking at this so much more fun. :mrgreen:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 pm

generaly, squad-based warfare bores the hell out of me, but this was pretty interesting, so good job with that.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Nice.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Pushing the enemy hero off the table, that must be the most brilliant stratagem I've ever seen.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Pushing the enemy hero off the table, that must be the most brilliant stratagem I've ever seen.
Oh it was quite the laugher! Koodos to my opponent for thinking of it because I totally didn't see that coming when I charged the griffin in...I was convinced both cars were going for my infantry. And when we determined it to be a cliff and the Gurkhas moved to the edge to shoot...hahaha, icing on the cake!
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

This is spectacular Rev!

trebnos1
Cannon Fodder

Post by trebnos1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Awesome stuff! I love how the sides made no sense at all: very Brikwarsy. The next one looks even better :twisted:

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Truly awesome. I actually think the Warhammer terrain looks quite nice.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Awesome! There was some great action in that one. Expecting good things from the next one.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 1

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Awesome battle, as always! The Gurkas were great, as was the wizard killing their lieutenant and capturing the flag!
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 1

Post by IX_Legion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:31 pm

"Mouse" needs some of these for his gurkhas. They work great as kukris.

I have a couple that my elves carry :)
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)