March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 2

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Were you pleased with the Ordo's performance?

Yes
45%
No
No votes
Why did the Blue Knights have to die?
15%
I wanted to see those gosh darn commandos!
40%

Total votes: 20

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 2

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:47 pm

The greater part of the afternoon had been taken up with small preliminary battles of 250CP in order to orient the new players to the Brikwars style of gaming. Through the course of the incursions, several of our other friends buttplugged in and out of the gaming area, and we eventually roped player number 6 into the mix. After rough, ad-hoc statting, six 500CP armies decided to face off against each other. The battle would involve two random teams marching across the tables against each other.

Mez, Rev, and another fellow I had just met drew lots together: my Sci-Fi Ordo units teaming up with the go-kart/mad max band and Mez's ever-colorful medievals. We were up against Mouse, Erb, and Tony2 who fielded retro-Space, pulp adventure, and an eclectic shamanic army.

Note: as before, most of the photos (for logistical reasons) come from my own battle. I'll try to clue all of you in to other key events as we go along. So without further ado...

Turn 0/Setup:

At the norther end of the table, two quite distinct armies face each other down. An arrayed rainbow knight force and a shamanic collection of hovering sharks lead by a vampire lord and his enslaved natives. Want to talk about gumming up a battlefield with shark-guts? Throw a billion of them into a 500CP army. Seriously, this was just silly. In the corner of the top photo you may also notice that I sneaked my MAPH Speeder onto the extreme flank in hopes of helping Mez deal with some of the Shark fodder.

stepping clear of the brush, OOF sniper surveys the ruins of a cathedral and the wastes beyond. Queer day, running into ACTUAL medievals on this forsaken planet and being roped into an accord with a bunch of racing thrill-junkies. Well, if it repels the threat of the CORS forces [coalition of retro-space] in the distance, so be it

Boys and girls, this is the maiden voyage of the OOF force. As you can see, Logan Towers has commissioned two commando-bearing APCs, a MAPH, a recon sniper, and a detachment of Freedom Fighters for this engagement. Logan and two Blue Knights have chosen to "deep-strike" onto the battlefield at a later turn.

Logan's opposition are a collection of Space Police and Blacktron units, the only other Sci-Fi ready force. This faction includes a dropship with two Death-snipers, a rocket battery, several cadet squads, and his own deepstriking commandos (two of whom have Plasma Cannons). You might notice a lack of hard firepower against armor; well...we'll get to that later. Erb has also sent a large speeder to the other side of the battlefield to support his less techy comrades.

With his recon ability, the sniper begins battle anywhere on the field before battle begins. He chooses the perch of a bell-tower overlooking the Retro-space forces. He is grim, waiting for any signs of movement.

Turn 1:

Forces of the Ordo Orientium Flagrans fan out in opposite directions around the cathedral. APCs on the left flank and Freedom Fighters to the right. Several Go-karts have also committed themselves to harassment on this side of the field.

North where the low-techs are squaring off, the MAPH speeder had set up response fires after moving forward with a band of knights. Tony2 pushes forward with a CC Yeti and several sharks, provoking that response, evaporating 3 fish, and taking three wounds off of the Yeti!

One of my favorite photos of the day...who would have guessed that the Yeti was a "Legendary Duelist" and could issue non-refusable CC challenges? Well, the MAPH pilot went up and whacked the Yeti with his rifle butt and was consequently ripped in twain!!! To add insult to injury, Mez was never able to take that last wound off of the Yeti...alas...this'll be the last photo from this table-edge for a while, lol.

At my flank, Erb's turn was uneventful, moving forward with his troops and trading sniper shots with the OOF sniper in the tower.

Turn 2:

An interesting development; Blue Knights warp onto the battlefield behind enemy lines, eliminating 2 cadets with bolter fire.

Logan himself arrives, reinforcing his Freedom Fighters on the right flank.

Blue Knights are not the only teleporting units. Blacktron Commandos arrive opposite the cathedral and greet the APC with a hail of grenades. The APC, however, is quite armored indeed.

The recon sniper, having taken down the white DSM sniper, has finally been himself sniped out of the bell tower.

Turn 3:

The GO-karts of death surge forward, opening fire on snipers in the back lines and on the pilot of the drop ship. Freedom Fighters and Logan Towers also move forward and combine their firepower on the Dropship...

...With relatively predictable results...

The Blue Knights behind enemy lines engage their adversaries in close combat. Take note that both Hardsuits have taken a point of damage each. Last turn, Erb combine-fired his way to successful damage. The suits still stand, however...

Toward the middle of the battlefield, the go-karts and the APC make short work of the teleporting commandos. But, with 2 smgs, 2 grenade launchers, and a twin-linked minigun between them, well that crossfire was predictable.

The retro-space retribution is swift, however. In a flurry of recovered sniper rifles, and plasma shots, both Blue Knights explode. The pilots do not survive... :(

Turn 4:

This shot requires some explaining. In turn three, Mouse sent a squad of mounted banditos toward my left flank. These banditos chucked TNT at the APC. Silly banditos. With a healthy 8-in movement, the APC ran over the banditos horses on the Ordos turn, and sent the banditos flying into the background.

The space cadets who had disengaged with the Blue Knight wreckage are quickly gunned down by grenade and mini-gun fire.

On the Ordo's right flank, the leader of the FF unit fires his lasgun at an ROV, killing it. Logan fires a rocket at some commandos across the way and vaporizes them.

Nevertheless, Space Police Hero engages Logan in a shootout, knocking off one wound. Moreover, a surviving sniper takes a pot-shot at the FF unit...

...slaying their leader....

It has been a while, but here is a random picture of the medieval carnage on the other end of the table. Shamanic forces are doing a number on Mez's knights. Erb's speeder has also crashed but is firing its cannons all over the place.

Some more go-karts, sharks, and swiss pikemen.

Turn 5:

In a flurry of plasma-sword blows, Logan Towers dominates the Space Police hero, claiming the latter's rear end with a well-placed, hardsuit boot.

Oh, and I forgot, in the last turn, Mouse sent an airplane crashing into an APC. But, they don't really make planes like they used to. The APC survives without a scratch but the plane is torn to shreds. Somehow, the pilot lands cleanly on a nearby motorcycle ?!?

As the battle draws to a close, the APC's mercilessly push toward the last vestiges of resistance on this flank. Banditos and the two remaining Retro Spacers have bunkered behind Blue Knight pelvic material.

They are brave, but their fate is certain.

MKII grenades and blazing miniguns finish their unrelenting reign of terror. In a fashion which left the opposition awed and a little sad, the Urban Commandos inside the APCs never actually saw combat :twisted:

VICTORY to the Ordo Orientium Flagrans!

Some random moments from the battle:

Mouse, who faced the go-kart army decided half-way through that the cleanest way to victory was to shoot every tire he could see.

Mouse also had a unit of deep-striking ninjas. The ninjas' favorite way to enter the battlefield was to pop up beside the driver of the Mad Max truck! Control of said truck went back and forth all evening!

Mez's king heroically sprang from a horse with two swords in hand in an attempt to slay the monstrous, dueling yeti...but failed miserably and was torn to bits!

Winches brought down several com towers on top of unsuspecting vehicles!

Well all, that's it for March 6 game day. Hope you enjoyed. Potentially look forward to another report or two in the next two weeks if I get enough free time to hop over to Redcaps brickwars nights at the end of March.

All the best,
Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am

That battle looked crazy. Great report, and the army of sharks made things all the better. ^_^
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 am

▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 am

:csi:
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Paco
Dimmy

Post by Paco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 am

Awesome bout of carnage!
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.
Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 am

EPICTASTICALLY AWSOMETACIOUS!

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Where did you get those buildings? Were they originally designed with another miniature wargame in mind?
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

During my senior year of college, our gaming club played a heavy does of the fantasy wargame Mordheim (like Warhammer with fewer dudes and city-like terrain). In the process we built and primed multiple cardboard and foam buildings. The club no longer plays mordheim, but there are still plenty of buildings to be put to gaming use...

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Awesome. I enjoyed this one more than the first.

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Re: March 6 Brikwars Day: Game 2

Post by Cpl. Halan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote: if I get enough free time to hop over to Redcaps brickwars nights at the end of March.

All the best,
Rev.
What was this, I need details.
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 pm

The last two mondays in march, Redcap--i'm pretty sure--is hosting some brikwars learning nights. From his store's online calendar, it looks like 6-10 in the evening.

trebnos1
Cannon Fodder

Post by trebnos1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:Awesome. I enjoyed this one more than the first.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I particularly like the OOF guys. And thier APCs rock.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Great battle! And good pics! It motivates me to finally motivate some people to play Brikwars with me, too.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:23 pm

the blue and gray tanks are very awesome if I haven't told you that already.