Magick's, etc.

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Magick's, etc.

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 pm

Does anyone still use 2001 rules for supernatural abilities and/or magic?

Does anyone have any more useful rules for magic/wizards beside use "feat" like special abilities?

Rev
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:11 am

I used to, but I found them occasionally cumbersome and stopped. That, and the rules were quite easy to abuse, more-so than normally in a Brikwars rulebook.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah, I do. I posted them somewhere around here a year ago, I hope they haven't gotten deleted. SP got replaced with dice and simplified.

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Easy. Just say a simple spell (like fireball or icebolt) and roll the skill. Or do what I do and just roll against armour. Just like ranged.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah, that's what I felt, Olothontor.

Anyway, thanks stubhawk. I'll look around.

@ Telcon...I was looking for something more useful that treating it like a made-up feat. Better luck next time.

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Okay, maybe you're right... have a specialized staff, with spells on the card. Then use the spell tables from middle earth role playing... I would.

I like your battles.
And the worst part is, I don't think of good comebacks until after the... HEY!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Why thank you Telcon :)

Unless stubhawk's posts are found, I'm probably going to go through other table-top wargame rulebooks (Mordheim, WFB, etc) and port spell options over until the 2010 Rulebook is complete. Something like that.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Were stubby's rules ever found? I took a quick look around but didn't spot them. They'd be nice to look at while I wait.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Were stubby's rules ever found? I took a quick look around but didn't spot them. They'd be nice to look at while I wait.
Read through this thread.

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5381

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks for that, mate.

My fault. I should have been clearer. I meant while I wait for the 2010 rules to be completed and uploaded. I dig the hell out of what I've seen so far, though.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:49 am

6. So... while you wait for the 2010 rules to be published you would like to look at the unofficial rules that Stubby is working on?

7. You would like to view the part of the 2010 rules that are done?

8. Not sure if you have been clear enough???

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 pm

The supernatural rules are as follows:
  • 6. You buy supernatural dice for a character (or object or vehicle or weapon or whatever) at the cost of 3CP per d4, 4CP per d6, 5CP per d8, 6CP per d10, and 7CP per d12.

7. These dice may be combined for specific effects according to the character's Supernatural Cliche (e.g., superhero, wizard, etc). Dice are assigned one at a time to add to or subtract from Range, Damage, Skill, Armor, or Move. At half effectiveness (rounded down) they can add to or subtract from Radius, Arc, and alternate Move (e.g., giving Flying Move to a normally ground-based creature).

8. When used for Damage, a d4 always causes one of the d4-based Damage types (Fire/Acid/Poison/etc.), while d10s always do Explosion Damage; everything else causes normal Damage.

9. Supernatural effects have a Use rating of +1 for every die used. If the effect is added on top of an Action that already has a Use rating (swinging a sword and adding Fire Damage to the attack, for instance) then the +1s are added on top of the Action's existing Use.

10. Any crit fail on a Supernatural Die turns it into a Supernatural Die that one of your opponents can re-roll, re-assign, and use to sabotage the effect (subtracting Range or Damage from your attack, for instance), although he must still keep the overall effect within your Supernatural Cliche.
Numbers 9 and 10 may be wildly out of balance; those in particular need a lot more playtesting before I'm sure that SN dice will still be worth the cost. For very large Supernatural Effects I'm sure that players will have to devote a couple of the dice to boosting their own Skill Rolls.

Resurrection, retroactive, and lasting effects are no longer possible in the updated system, although dead bodies can be animated on a turn-by-turn basis. There's no "loaning" SN dice to other SN units anymore either. I kind of want to put in some kind of quick-build power, but I think it's better left to the Mechanix rather than trying to duplicate it in SN.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Maybe I misunderstood.

Stubby said he posted them around a year ago. So I assume they're complete and he is no longer, in fact, working on them. I wouldn't mind seeing what they looked like, of course. The intermediary step between the "advanced rules" and the 2010 book two rules. It's just interesting, that's all. Naturally, if they aren't easily available I'm not too worried about them as I anticipate the (what I'm sure will be) totally kickass 2010 rules.

For clarification, I have seen the part of the 2010 rules that are finished. They were easy to find, even without that painful roadmap you linked me to. I like them a lot. Though much of it is highly similar or the same, the format is nicer. There are some minor clarifications which make the game a little more streamlined, I think. And the bits of fiction really round it out. The division between books one and two is sure to be full of win (from what I can see it already is, really).

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you, stubby.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 am

Great Stubby. I always find the example battles/scenarios the most explaining.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.