Modular terrain examples from Magnus

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

OneEye589
Pooplord

Modular terrain examples from Magnus

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:31 pm

So I was looking up modular terrain ideas, as we've had a few instances where people have gotten together to have battles, and the supposed Ragnablok or whatever. I thought this system seemed pretty neat.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/modularlan ... dard/pool/

http://militarylego.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... kfair.html

Pretty much it's all based around having baseplates with either baseplate level edges or baseplate, 3 bricks, and 1 plate edges. It seemed like a pretty cool system and might help in the future if there's enough planning. Also much easier to transport for people.

Just thought it was interesting to see all the different ways of building terrain, too. Foxholes, rivers, trenches, etc.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Wargames with modular maps will often be designed so that roads and river and whatnot will always leave the edge of the section in the middle so that they're compatible. Also, GHQ Micro-Armor uses a system of styrofoam hexes that you combine to make a battlefield. I would propose a similar system of 32x32 baseplates.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Yea, that's what's shown here with a system of 4 bricks on each corner for a 16x16 and 8 bricks on each corner for a 32x32. The 32x32 would probably be easier to use and make a system for, as they are more easily accessible, come in green and blue and that's what road plates are. With enough collaboration beforehand, people could make some neat battlefields with only having to bring a few plates each.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 pm

while this is really cool, I don't believe a single person on this forum has enough bricks to make more than like two sections of this type of terrain without some form of massive BL order.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:12 pm

That's the point. It's modular. This is so multiple people can contribute to a battlefield and there's a set standard that we can go by if we meet for Brikwars.

I personally have at least 7 green 32x32 baseplates and 1 blue 32x32. I don't think any of us use large amounts of green or brown for our armies, so a giant field with a couple ponds would be feasible.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:18 am

:<3:
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 am

This is awesome. We must agree on a standard for the roads and stuff so I can start building these.

Here are some suggestions (based on the pics and what other people said):

- Module edges are either baseplate level or 3 bricks and 1 plate above baseplate level.

- Rivers and roads leave the edge of a section in the middle.

- Rivers are 16 studs wide and blue.

- Large roads are 8 studs wide and tan.

- Small roads are 4 studs wide and tan.

More ideas?

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 am

Lego took care of the road problem already by having all of the road baseplates be compatible.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 am

Dirt road enthusiasts protest
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 am

Why not just bring all the baseplates you can with hills and buildings already built on them. Pretty much all baseplates will fit together somehow and I doubt people will be bothered about having an immaculate battlefield thats just going to get destroyed.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:22 am

This would be amazing if ragnablok comes around. Me, I need to buy more baseplates if this becomes forum standard, but it would be great to have something like this.
Holy shit, I'm still here?

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:08 pm

dilanski wrote:Why not just bring all the baseplates you can with hills and buildings already built on them. Pretty much all baseplates will fit together somehow and I doubt people will be bothered about having an immaculate battlefield thats just going to get destroyed.
That's why this system is great, people who want to can build roads and rivers and hillsides and shit, and those who don't want to can just bring normal baseplates with a house or something.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:01 pm

We need a system for the slopes up on the edges also, the gradient of the slope. If the gradients don't match up, then they won't be able to be put together.

From what I'm seeing on these pictures, from a look at the sides of a 32x32 slope, the first and last studs are either baseplate level or 3 bricks and 1 plate above. Between them it's a change of 1 plate every 4 or 3 studs. It doesn't build up exactly right, but using that for reference should work.

Starting from the baseplate level, each level should be like this:

1 stud (baseplate) - 3 studs - 4 studs - 3 - 4 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 4 - 3 studs - 1 stud (higher level)

And that will make it even if each set of studs is one plate higher than the previous. Yes, that is 33 studs, but this is a nice base system. Just take one stud out somewhere in the middle to give it a little variance.

Small roads should be have 4 studs from the edge of the plate, large roads should have 8 studs, etc.

This would still need a lot of collaboration between people, but it could work.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 pm

I designed a fairly simple system for this, using mainly 32x32 baseplates. the entire baseplate is covered by one layer of bricks.

Corners/connections will work like this:

streams will be 8-studs wide, with a one-stud wide plate placed on top of either edge of the river. This only applies to where the river meets the edge of the baseplate it's on. The inner pparts can look hwever you want.

Curved rivers work similarly.

Roads function in the same way(8 studs wide, centered in the edge of the baseplate) as streams, but are put on top of the bricks. they can be paved or dirt.

For dirt roads, tire ruts also work.

Bridges are up to the builder, but the actual road part of the bridge should be 10 studs wide(for medium-sized vehicles)

16x32 plates can also be used, but one side can only connect to similar plates.

Layout so far.

Shores of larger bodies of water. I'm not sure how large the water in question is, nut my shore sustem should work.

Form the edge: Four studs of bricks(to fit the standard corner connection. 2 studs of two stacked plates, and then four studs of beach (once again, this only applies to the edge of the baseplate)

streams can flow in just fine:

Complete layout:
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Updated with pics.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D