Rules version

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Egor_Redcloak
Battlefield General

Rules version

Post by Egor_Redcloak » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Does everyone here use the '05 rules? Or am I the only one who thinks that '01 version is better?
Need a new army, can't find any more insectoids

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:26 pm

i prefer the '05 rules as core rules, but there's a LOT of material from '01 that i recycle and reused/converted into '05 rules.

i like the '01 rules, but they required far to much memorization or (gasp!) printing out tables.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:30 pm

I use the 2005 Core Rules as a... a core. I usually include some other things from 2001 and add more weapons. You can never have too many weapons. But most of the 2001 load is too specific for my games so I just trash it and go for the simpler 2005 rules.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Blitzen wrote:You can never have too many weapons.
spoken like a true brikwarrior. this is probably my biggest complaint with the 05 rules: the lack of weapons. yes i know we're going for simpler and less useless memorization, but for someone who has all of their battles taking place in the distant future to have only two kinds of ranged weapons brings my thirst for chaos into complete dehydration. where's the miniguns, the death guns (the reason some of us bought d20s), the lolermatic assault rofls and the flamethrowers?

EvilTobbacconist
Hero

Post by EvilTobbacconist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I like the 2001 rules, but since I'm big on introing people to the game and am really bad at explaining things through speech, I stick to th 2005 rules, much more user friendly, As for more weapons? I just use the weapon modifiers stuff from the 2001 rules.
If your gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:47 pm

I pretty much use the '05 Core Rules, but you're absolutely right: I also find the lack of weapons disturbing (anyone get the reference?). That's why we (includes me, my brother and two friends) have developed new guns. We have artillery, a sniper rifle, a minigun and a flamethrower. But I think someday soon I'll go those weapons through and chance them.

I have glanced through some of the '01 rules, but they're are much more complicated, so I stick in Core Rules.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:10 pm

you should post pictures of those guns

I prefer the 01 rules because they cover almost every situation and you can vary the amount of complexity in your battles.
also they include somethings i never would have thought of. [like the parachute] :D

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:22 pm

piltogg wrote:you should post pictures of those guns
Were you talking to me? If you were, I'll try to remember that. It can take a while, though, 'cause I'm taking pictures of our new map for now.

And for the parachute, we were talking of maybe doing that someday, but it had been waiting because we don't have a battle big enough to involve paratroopers. That's a shame, but we'll have time for that later, when we get bigger gaming base.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:22 pm

piltogg wrote:I prefer the 01 rules because they cover almost every situation and you can vary the amount of complexity in your battles.
but is that always a good thing? having to keep track of all those pips and ker-(noun) tables, along with stories of height and 4d6-5s flying around, you're doing a lot more calculating than you are destroying

The Lizard King
Hero

Post by The Lizard King » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 pm

I use a bunch of rules from pretty much each addition
"I Am The Lizard King, I can do Anything"

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I use an odd blend of the 2005 and 2001, and apply liberal amounts of fudge to it. It works for me though...
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 am

NELUG uses the 2001 rules almost exclusively. They're complex and dense like legalese documents. Even then, we usually have to build some house rules to cover situations or build them into specific scenarios (ergo, the 01 rules apparently aren't complex enough).

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 am

We here at moronstudios use the 2005 rules because they are simpler (printing the 2005 rules used enough paper.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:21 am

you might want to look at this i found it in the brikwars archives.

http://www.brikwars.com/underconstruction.htm
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am

I found out about that too, you did a good job finding it because it is quite hard to find (at least by my metheds).
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194