46%
No, i don't.
13%

Total votes: 24

pesgores
The Dear Leader

My Landscape for a (possible) Brikwar.

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 am

I made a landscape this afternoon. Do you like it? Would you want me to have a battle with it and later post the pictures of the happening?

Anyways, the landscape:

What battle you guys think i should make?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:23 am

I wana see the snow get melted by a flamethrower.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 am

if you want to use ranged weapons, i'd slap a few more low walls for cover. other than that? a battle with lots of pole-arms (halberds, glaives, whatever) would be really fun. minifigs would have a hard time swinging their large weapons in the dense forest, and provides a tactical obstacle all on it's own

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 am

That's why i put the trees. Not enough, apparently?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 pm

well trees provide cover kindof, but they're so narrow that it's hard to really use them effectively.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Ok. So any suggestions?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 pm

IVhorseman wrote:if you want to use ranged weapons, i'd slap a few more low walls for cover.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:06 pm

How about editing the image with MS Paint to get an idea?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 pm

because photobucket and i have irreconcilable differences, and i can't upload pictures.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 pm

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 pm

I think there's room for plenty of improvement. Personally this looks really slapped together. I don't get the point of the snow. It makes no sense along witht he palm trees and water. The little outpost is a neat idea but it just doesn't fit in this environment. When making terrain you should focus on specific goals, such as creating a choke point, or a fallback position, or a strategic advantage point, or an obstacle for both players for example. Sense it looks like you are trying to build a type of forest environment, you should definitely check out some classic castle creations to get some good ideas on landscaping. I'll post examples. Here comes a lesson.

Look at this picture. There's really nothing outstanding about it, it's a pretty easy build, but look at the thought process here. We have a high tower to bring something different but appropriate to the landscape. Something that stands out and is obvious that players will fight over for control. For cover there are two obvious points. One is the ruined wall and the other is the plant life. We have two points of very dense foliage which would provide ample cover for an attacker trying to get to the wall -- the group of 4 bushes, and the big tree.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/castl ... ns_001.jpg

Now here is an easy fix to your plant problem and that damn snow pile. To make it look like a dense forest you can cheat by making fewer trees but just make them bigger, like seen here. Also, you could convert your snow pile into a secret cave of somesort. Who knows, maybe you could build a monster or band of theives to hide in it. In this pic you can see the obvious use of terrain.

Now in this pic it's a bit more parts and skills intensive but just try to look at the basic concepts. This is an example of a choke point. We have two starting positions opposite each other and in the middle is an impassable area except for a bridge -- the checkpoint, where players are forced to move their forces in narrow line. While this creation has its focus on the bridge, you can add this checkpoint concept off to the side of your landscape and have some kind of reward for players that risk going through it, such as it being a shortcut to something or there's a mound of weapons or treasure at the end of it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/build ... chidou.jpg

Now go build!

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:17 pm

That's the problem: building material.

The snow is from a mountain nearby, when last night it occured an avalanche. That's why the snow's there.

I thought that one base would be located in the top of the snow mountain and the other next to the outpost.

I did all i could with my bricks. Unless you find a way to do it with the bricks you see, because i have no more forest-themed.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm

why do you need bases? i say take em apart and use the pieces to make obstacles like low walls and high spots.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 am

pesgores wrote:That's the problem: building material.

The snow is from a mountain nearby, when last night it occured an avalanche. That's why the snow's there.

I thought that one base would be located in the top of the snow mountain and the other next to the outpost.

I did all i could with my bricks. Unless you find a way to do it with the bricks you see, because i have no more forest-themed.
That's why I showed you two examples that weren't parts intensive nor hard to build. But mainly, I was just trying to show you concepts -- such as the low wall that IV keeps recommending to build.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 am

I will build the wall, then. But not now, later, i will be occupied all afternoon.