Cyclops Beetle
18%
Taurus Ant
18%
Striped Toothed Worm
9%

Total votes: 22

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bug World

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm

This is just a series of completely made-up bugs that I made just 'cause.

The Hog Fly
The hog fly is one of the most brutish flying insects in the animal kingdom. It is so bulky that it is instantly recognizable as a big brown dot in the air. It also makes a very distinct low buzzing sound when flying.

It is not only brutish in size, however, and earned a reputation as a ruthless hunter among insects. The hog fly has actually been known to catch prey in mid-air, and then eat it while still flying. This makes it an incredibly efficient hunter, as it can begin its pursuit of another insect before even being finished with the first.

This amazing hunting strategy is made possible by the pair of legs that are situated on its belly in order to catch prey underneath, and bring it up to the mouth without getting in the way of the wings. It also has the most developed brain of any insect, allowing it to focus on two tasks at once.

[Builder's Notes: This was the build that started the rest. It was originally a mini steampunk aircraft, but I ended up switching the windows out for eyes, and the propeller on the back of the barrel piece with a smooth bottom. This is by far my favourite of all of them.]

The Bush Roach

This beetle is the master of disguise in its habitat. Every aspect of this creature has been acquired by thriving for many years in the forest, from its grass-like wings to its twig-like antennae. It even emits a scent similar to that of a certain species of tree when it is camouflaging in order to prevent being detected by smell.

This superior camouflaging ability makes it not only an excellent hunter, but it also helps it hide from predators.

Despite its excellent camouflage, it also emits light from its abdomen much like fireflies in order to attract mates.

[Builder's Notes: This was the second of the bugs I made, and was essentially brought to life by the pile of lime green pieces and the container of plant pieces that sat in front of me at the time. It is also missing two legs, because I couldn't find either of the other four green hands I had left. Curse you, lack of organization!]

The Cyclops Beetle

This beetle's name is given by its apparent single eye. However, it actually has four eyes, but they are all protected by an outer globe that is often mistaken as its "eye".

This insect is also very heavily armoured, and is invulnerable to an attack from nearly every other insect, as well as some birds. The shell is not only tough, but it has spines and bumps to defend itself as well. The only weak spot is the underside.

Another defense mechanism is the spike atop its head, which it uses to ram predators.

[Builder's Notes: I knew I had to use some dark green, and light grey seemed to be the perfect colour match. It's missing two legs, although I could have borrowed the revolvers from the hog fly for the picture.]

The Taurus Ant

This species of ant has very distinct features that separate it from other species. The most noticeable feature is the pair of "horns" that sit atop its head. These aren't actually horns, but rather small appendages that are used to help bring the ant back upright if it finds itself on its back. The "tail" on the abdomen also serves this purpose, although it is sometimes mistaken for a stinger.

The other noticeable difference is the placement of its head; it's farther back into the torso than most insects, and is almost one with the rest of the body.

This insect defends itself from predators just like its namesake; it charges at them. It uses its stronger back legs to leap forward, and rams into the predator with its stiff front appendages. It has even been known to gang up with other taurus ants to take down large prey.

[Builder's Notes: This is the runt of the bunch, and after the three bigger bugs I wanted to make a basic swarm bug. I also love using those spike parts, so I couldn't resist.]

The Striped Toothed Worm

This worm has been described as being like something out of a sci-fi horror movie, and acts like one, too. It uses its teeth to tunnel through terrain and attack prey, making it deadly to more than just other bugs. There have been reports of these worms tunneling into the skin of cows and horses, then becoming a parasite and leeching nutrients from the animal.

These creatures also pose a threat to humans. There have been holes made from these worms found in wood, and even concrete buildings. If a swarm of these critters were to get into someone's house, it would pose the threat of the worms becoming parasites in the inhabitant's body.

The protruding eyes may appear to be very vulnerable, but they retract when the time calls for it so as to keep them from being damaged.

[Builder's Notes: Once I was on a roll with the other bugs, this one just came naturally to me. Unfortunately, it can only bend so much, so it's impossible to pose it without modification.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably add on to this collection a bit, or maybe I'll even hit another bit of inspiration and make five or six more.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 pm

The Hog Fly is my favorite of the set. But there is some nice element use in these. Well Done. :D
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Great job on all of them, but Imma have to go w/ the ant, because it's so compact. the hog fly was a very close second though, followed by the cyclops beetle

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Can't decide; too much awesome.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

beluga
Officer

Post by beluga » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Genius.

▲
▲ ▲
Hail the Triangle!

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 am

Very intricate designs, me like!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:52 am

ur moms got bush roaches

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:41 am

I'd still hit it, with a shovel. Bush Roaches are my favorite... er... were my favorite until OneEye.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 am

I knew someone was going to comment on the bush roach. :roll:

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, everyone. I needed to cannibalize the cyclops beetle for all the dark green, so I figured it was time to post these guys, since they've been sitting on my desk for a few weeks now.

@beluga: I refuse to accept that trophy of approval. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with taking something that someone else made, and then slapping your name on it. :roll:
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:57 am

I like 'em all, aoffan's bug-o-pedia?

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 am

You should show them swarming a group of minifigs.
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:39 am

Warhead wrote:I'd still hit it, with a shovel. Bush Roaches are my favorite... er... were my favorite until OneEye.
Hey, I don't have bush roaches.

beluga
Officer

Post by beluga » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 am

aoffan23 wrote:I knew someone was going to comment on the bush roach. :roll:

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, everyone. I needed to cannibalize the cyclops beetle for all the dark green, so I figured it was time to post these guys, since they've been sitting on my desk for a few weeks now.

@beluga: I refuse to accept that trophy of approval. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with taking something that someone else made, and then slapping your name on it. :roll:
It's only a temporary seal of approval for now, I just need an epic battle picture of my forces and I'll be able to make the real one. The trophy looked nice so I decided to steal it for the time being.
  ▲
▲ ▲
Hail the Triangle!

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:26 am

beluga wrote:

It's only a temporary seal of approval for now, I just need an epic battle picture of my forces and I'll be able to make the real one. The trophy looked nice so I decided to steal it for the time being.
What makes you think anyone wants your approval?

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29 am

beluga wrote:

stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.